Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #2,971 of 4,063
Hi everyone, getting a Spring 3 KTE this week, so excited! Does anyone have any HQPlayer presets for PCM and/or DSD to recommend? Thanks!

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #2,972 of 4,063
Has anyone considered making a shield for the dac module like the May KTE has? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to make a less attractive bent-metal version out of a sheet of copper with a hacksaw, vise, and some standoffs for under $20
1642556019333.png

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #2,974 of 4,063
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #2,975 of 4,063
Thanks! Missed them somehow.
Also try to make up your mind yourself.
I've tried endless combinations of filters riding on the hype of HQPlayer upscaling and was kind of shocked preferring straight Qobuz/ Roon / NOS through my IPAD to the Spring with Phi TC in regards of slam, impact and spice.
At least for uncompromised head banging...
For Susvara, vocals stuff I still need to make up my mind...

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #2,976 of 4,063
Anyone aware of some free Roon RAAT endpoint bootimage?
Am using an HQ Player NAA endpoint bootimage on a headless Intel Atom mini PC and would like to try dual boot for some A-B listening...

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #2,977 of 4,063
Another rabbit hole...
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/option-to-replace-playback-engine-entirely-with-hqplayer/182473/22

anyone owning both Roon and HQPlayer with Qobuz are happily invited to do their own listening tests and tell me if they can also hear a difference.
But in all honesty it might be a matter of taste which signature sounds better.
For vocal focused tracks I might even give the Roon-HQPlayer combination thumps up for the less offensive presentation, for party mood the HQPlayer-direct solution.

As I am always inclined to get closest to the real thing I am now torn to either
a.) leave Roon, stay with HQPlayer setup and will miss the great comfort of Roon or
b.) go for some multi-purpose streamer supporting both worlds like IFI Zen Stream which is great for the money but technically a step down with max 3XX kHz compared to my current setup.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,979 of 4,063
Another rabbit hole...
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/option-to-replace-playback-engine-entirely-with-hqplayer/182473/22

anyone owning both Roon and HQPlayer with Qobuz are happily invited to do their own listening tests and tell me if they can also hear a difference.
But in all honesty it might be a matter of taste which signature sounds better.
For vocal focused tracks I might even give the Roon-HQPlayer combination thumps up for the less offensive presentation, for party mood the HQPlayer-direct solution.

As I am always inclined to get closest to the real thing I am now torn to either
a.) leave Roon, stay with HQPlayer setup and will miss the great comfort of Roon or
b.) go for some multi-purpose streamer supporting both worlds like IFI Zen Stream which is great for the money but technically a step down with max 3XX kHz compared to my current setup.
Just curious, are you running Roon and HQPlayer on separate servers?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #2,981 of 4,063
You can trial Euphony for 30 days, switching between Roonbridge, NAA, and Stylus endpoint for Roon output
Thx, that's worth a trial.
So that Euphony software bootimage is substituting the HQPlayer bootimage on the NAA endpoint device right?

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #2,982 of 4,063
Just curious, are you running Roon and HQPlayer on separate servers?
That's really the only optimization I haven't done yet.
Do you think that can matter for the described symptoms?
Can try it at the weekend

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,983 of 4,063
I plan on buying the spring 3kte as my next purchase. In the meantime I have been selling of some iem's because I want to put that money towards my headphone set up. One of the things I'm thinking of selling is my dx300 but I use it as my source and dac right now with my Soloist 3xp. I know usb is very highly regarded on the spring 3 so what would be a good suggestion for a source to replace the dx300 if I did sell it? Should I use my phone and a streamer instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #2,984 of 4,063
I plan on buying the spring 3kte as my next purchase. In the meantime I have been selling of some iem's because I want to put that money towards my headphone set up. One of the things I'm thinking of selling is my dx300 but I use it as my source and dac right now with my Soloist 3xp. I know usb is very highly regarded on the spring 3 so what would be a good suggestion for a source to replace the dx300 if I did sell it? Should I use my phone and a streamer instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated
You can follow many rabbit holes but Spring 3 is sounding fabulous right out of my IPhone / IPad playing Bitperfect and I d be perfectly happy with that as a starting point.
Haven't tried Android yet where I have made great experiences using UAPP in the past which brings dedicated exclusive DAC access plus Tidal / Quobuz...

Next affordable suggestion is Ifi Zen Stream (just arrived in my setup for testing), it's limited to 368khz PCM but if you can live with that it's sounding fabulous too out of the box plus having Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Roon support and HQPlayer support

These are plug and play solutions.

Afterwards you have a zoo of options like Raspberry PIs, Custom PCs, Mac Mini with player software or dedicated streamers starting at 500 bucks up to thousands of bucks.

Latter ones are not really needed with Spring imho

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #2,985 of 4,063
You can follow many rabbit holes but Spring 3 is sounding fabulous right out of my IPhone / IPad playing Bitperfect and I d be perfectly happy with that as a starting point.
Haven't tried Android yet where I have made great experiences using UAPP in the past which brings dedicated exclusive DAC access plus Tidal / Quobuz...

Next affordable suggestion is Ifi Zen Stream (just arrived in my setup for testing), it's limited to 368khz PCM but if you can live with that it's sounding fabulous too out of the box plus having Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Roon support and HQPlayer support

These are plug and play solutions.

Afterwards you have a zoo of options like Raspberry PIs, Custom PCs, Mac Mini with player software or dedicated streamers starting at 500 bucks up to thousands of bucks.

Latter ones are not really needed with Spring imho
I want whatever will give best sound quality. Honestly I'm sure my dx300 would do a great job too. I may just hold onto it until I figure out what option would work best for me. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back