Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,986 of 4,063
That's really the only optimization I haven't done yet.
Do you think that can matter for the described symptoms?
Can try it at the weekend
I really want to like Roon, its very user friendly, network savvy, with a great GUI. But its output always took second place when I compared to Stylus with or without HQPlayer, recording depth of detail got more blurry. I am getting better results now closer to what I get with Stylus, using separate servers for Roon and HQPe, feeding an HQP NAA imaged machine.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,987 of 4,063
Separate Roon didn't bring a discernable difference for me.
Playing directly out of HQPlayer vs Roon-HQPlayer is audible for me more than cable changes and more than many filter changes.
Have today received ifi Zen Stream and though it has less maximum PCM resolution I find it as good if not even better in terms of low end punch than my UPGateway Atom mini PC in NAA mode plus it can also work as Roon Endpoint if I like to.
Will test more over the weekend and then decide

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,988 of 4,063
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 19.29.26.png

This track doesn't sound any different from Roon -> HQPlayer

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #2,989 of 4,063
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 19.29.26.png
This track doesn't sound any different from Roon -> HQPlayer
Can only tell what I hear 😉
Roon itself is clear and punchy and more forward.
HQplayer alone is punchy clear and less forward and changing character with the different filters.
Roon plus HQPlayer has a light veil and hitting not as hard with my stack which is I think quite decent but everyone s hearing differently

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #2,990 of 4,063
@FooFighter i also felt that Hqplayer alone sounded better than roon-hqplayer. but the Hqplayer user interface and lack of a phone app killed it for me. went back to Roon for the convenience, at the expense of the small sq difference.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,991 of 4,063
All good.
It's actually also difficult to do serious A/B without an unbiased blind test
Will need to wrap my ears on the different filters in HQPlayer.
That's really a playground.
While I wanted to give ifi zen stream a chance I think I cannot miss the possibilities of the Intel Atom NAA allowing me to play DSD 1024 or PCM 1,5Mhz - crazy stuff.
Nevertheless I also think that straight NOS is a wonderful option too with the Spring with even only an IPad in front but that's one of the many facettes in this hobby for me - experimenting 😉

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,992 of 4,063
Could I use the ibasso dx300 as my source with the Holy Spring 3kte? The dx300 has a 4.4mm pentaconn line out.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2,993 of 4,063
Could I use the ibasso dx300 as my source with the Holy Spring 3kte? The dx300 has a 4.4mm pentaconn line out.
Spring is a DAC, DX300 is a DAP.
You can use DX300 as a source by plugging Spring into its USB port, the same way you'd use your Android phone.
Still there can be sonic differences playing from a decent DAC as I experienced once using Shanling M8 as a source though with different targets as I didn't own Spring those days ago.
So you will need to plug your headphones into your burson amp and your burson amp into the output ports of the Spring DAC

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #2,994 of 4,063
Spring is a DAC, DX300 is a DAP.
You can use DX300 as a source by plugging Spring into its USB port, the same way you'd use your Android phone.
Still there can be sonic differences playing from a decent DAC as I experienced once using Shanling M8 as a source.
So you will need to plug your headphones into your burson amp and your burson amp into the output ports of the Spring DAC
Ok cool. I didn't know if they made usb to 4.4mm.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #2,995 of 4,063
USB is pure digital transport.
4.4mm is pure analogue.
These will never ever fit

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #2,996 of 4,063
To add to @FooFighter, you want to feed the Spring digital so it can do the digital to analog (DAC) conversion. So USB C (DX300) to USB B (Spring). But I am not sure of the benefit of using a DX300 over an Ipad or Iphone as a digital transport.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,997 of 4,063
To add to @FooFighter, you want to feed the Spring digital so it can do the digital to analog (DAC) conversion. So USB C (DX300) to USB B (Spring). But I am not sure of the benefit of using a DX300 over an Ipad or Iphone as a digital transport.
The software. Not necessarily for SQ (although it might), but for the music app and OS specifically designed for music.
Since he already has the DX300 with music on it, he might as well use it.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #2,998 of 4,063
The software. Not necessarily for SQ (although it might), but for the music app and OS specifically designed for music.
Since he already has the DX300 with music on it, he might as well use it.
Didn't want to dive into it but I've once tested different sources like IPhone, Android phone and DAP (Shanling M8) into attached dongles (L&P W2).
And though some might think it should sound identical if sent from same source app like Tidal, Amazon Music HD they all sounded different and I found the DAP (in my case Shanling M8) to have the edge over the less audiophile sources

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #2,999 of 4,063
Didn't want to dive into it but I've once tested different sources like IPhone, Android phone and DAP (Shanling M8) into attached dongles (L&P W2).
And though some might think it should sound identical if sent from same source app like Tidal, Amazon Music HD they all sounded different and I found the DAP (in my case Shanling M8) to have the edge over the less audiophile sources
I would think a nice dap like the dx300 would be better than a laptop or something,considering the dx300 was built specifically for music.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #3,000 of 4,063
I would think a nice dap like the dx300 would be better than a laptop or something,considering the dx300 was built specifically for music.
Let's say a higher end DAP is optimized for all-in-one playback whereas for a desktop setup you need to seek dedicated devices hooked together with expensive cables.
For the DAC interface you'd need a Streamer usually in a desktop setup which is managed via some remote playback interface.
If you want to keep your DAP also for flexibility, going out /,traveling using IEMs and hooking up to your stationary DAC once at home, there's nothing wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back