Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,956 of 4,063
Idk about the differences sonically between 2 and 3, but I got the level 2 since I was already using an SU-6 w/ HDPlex lps (which I've been extremely happy with). My thought was that as usb implementations improve, I can continue to just replace that portion.

I also figured I would choose my own fuse for the dac, and recently put in an SR purple to good effect. I have the same type of aucharm fuse that's used in the kte spring on order, but it'll end up going in the HDPlex.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #2,958 of 4,063
Anyone knows if is there a May 2 on the pipeline?
It took a really long time from the first mention of the MAY to the actual release, so I don't see a new MAY in the near future. Although I don't own the MAY, what's reason you're interested in a second edition? Just curious being I've read this post 2 times on 2 different threads tonight.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #2,961 of 4,063
Cause I’m interested in the May but i don’t want to buy a May now and have a new May 2 released in a few months.
When I purchased my Spring KTE in late '16 there was talk about the MAY between Tim (Kitsune Audio) & I back then, which is why I mentioned it took a really long time for its release so I wouldn't be concerned.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,962 of 4,063
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #2,963 of 4,063
I am planning to get a KTE unit, but I foresee myself eventually needing a preamp (although now I am going to continue to use a headphone amp) for speaker power amps, is the extra preamp module for the spring 3 worth it, or am I better off buying a standalone unit?

Unfortunately for me I already sold off my Schiit Freya, so now I got another decision to make

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,964 of 4,063
I am planning to get a KTE unit, but I foresee myself eventually needing a preamp (although now I am going to continue to use a headphone amp) for speaker power amps, is the extra preamp module for the spring 3 worth it, or am I better off buying a standalone unit?

I think the extra $600 is definitely worth it. I don't currently have any separate solid state preamps in the ~$1,000 range but I suspect the module would compete rather well to solid state preamps in that range.

In my tests the preamp module can certainly be beaten (subjectively in terms of sonics) with even higher end separate preamps costing several multiples of the price of the preamp module, but that should not be surprising. You do pay dearly for small (but important) sonic gains, like most things in this wonderful hobby.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #2,965 of 4,063
I think the extra $600 is definitely worth it. I don't currently have any separate solid state preamps in the ~$1,000 range but I suspect the module would compete rather well to solid state preamps in that range.

In my tests the preamp module can certainly be beaten (subjectively in terms of sonics) with even higher end separate preamps costing several multiples of the price of the preamp module, but that should not be surprising. You do pay dearly for small (but important) sonic gains, like most things in this wonderful hobby.

Thank you for your input, I did read that apparently the preamp module was trickle down from tech in their serene units so I believe it should be somewhat good

I ended up ordering the preamp variant, and now I wait

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #2,966 of 4,063
Idk about the differences sonically between 2 and 3, but I got the level 2 since I was already using an SU-6 w/ HDPlex lps (which I've been extremely happy with). My thought was that as usb implementations improve, I can continue to just replace that portion.

I also figured I would choose my own fuse for the dac, and recently put in an SR purple to good effect. I have the same type of aucharm fuse that's used in the kte spring on order, but it'll end up going in the HDPlex.
I wonder if it's the same direction for the Holo May as it is with the Spring. I purchased a SR purple as well and am a little confused about the direction the fuse should be in. I am guessing the S should be towards the bottom and the R towards the top.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #2,967 of 4,063
For the burn in discussion.
AFAIK PCM and DSD are running through different circuits.
So will one need to burn in both separately?😉
Have been playing solely PCM at the beginning and just now switching to DSD upsampling

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #2,969 of 4,063
Fwir the text/arrow should read from live->neutral, but ted denney said the people needs to be tried both ways to be sure.

@FooFighter how is dsd sounding? Same as you, I've only really played pcm so far.
I find it smoother and less into the face.
Am playing through HQPlayer and there's an own rabbit hole forum about such questions.
GoldenOne preferred PCM Sinc-L 1,5Mhz, Miska (HQPLAYER) DSD and both communities have their followers.
Clear is that PCM upsampling is way less hard on the CPU whereas you need more power for DSD upsampling.
My Mac Mini M1 is now getting warm with DSD and was bored with PCM Sinc-L 1,5Mhz 😉
There are various filters which my M1 cannot process and you'd need a powerful PC for that.
Am quite happy though with the filters I am using and potentially upgrade to follower devices like M2 based Mac Minis eventually later

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #2,970 of 4,063
I've been doing sinc-L, LNS15 for the last few days, but can only go up to 384k with the SU-6. I'll have to test out what my computer can handle with DSD, just got my fanless i5 10600 build set up last week, and it's been breezing through everything PCM-wise so far too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back