Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #2,941 of 4,063
There is no streamer that can feed the Spring a 768k/1.5Mk signal from HQPlayer right? Only straight from a computer through USB?
There are streamers / mini-PCs which you can boot with HQPlayer boot images.
These are called NAAs.
These 2 models are recommended by the HQPlayer developer Miska:
- UP Gateway Atom x5-Z8350
- fitlet2RC Atom x7-E3950

The usual "consumer" streamers are maxed out yet at 384khz (Zen Stream) or latest at 768khz (Sonore Rendu etc)

Don't forget though that these are just transports / endpoints to be connected to your DAC.
You need capable hardware for the HQPlayer core software to process 1,5Mhz filters without lagging.
My old Macbook Pro i5 2018 can do 768khz Mx filter and is lagging:distorting with anything above especially when being used for other stuff in parallel.
So a dedicated (headless) server e.g in your switch house room running HQPlayer Server (plus evt Roon Core) is recommended

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #2,942 of 4,063
There are streamers / mini-PCs which you can boot with HQPlayer boot images.
These are called NAAs.
These 2 models are recommended by the HQPlayer developer Miska:
- UP Gateway Atom x5-Z8350
- fitlet2RC Atom x7-E3950

The usual "consumer" streamers are maxed out yet at 384khz (Zen Stream) or latest at 768khz (Sonore Rendu etc)

Don't forget though that these are just transports / endpoints to be connected to your DAC.
You need capable hardware for the HQPlayer core software to process 1,5Mhz filters without lagging.
My old Macbook Pro i5 2018 can do 768khz Mx filter and is lagging:distorting with anything above especially when being used for other stuff in parallel.
So a dedicated (headless) server e.g in your switch house room running HQPlayer Server (plus evt Roon Core) is recommended
Thanks so much. I have a pretty powerful NUC (Core I9/64GB RAM etc) to handle the upsampling so the two little PC boxes you're suggesting are just what i'm looking for!

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,943 of 4,063
Thanks so much. I have a pretty powerful NUC (Core I9/64GB RAM etc) to handle the upsampling so the two little PC boxes you're suggesting are just what i'm looking for!
As a starting point the NUC i9 should be fine to run directly into the DAC too and should actually also support the 1,5Mhz DAC interface as it's Intel based.

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #2,944 of 4,063
As a starting point the NUC i9 should be fine to run directly into the DAC too and should actually also support the 1,5Mhz DAC interface as it's Intel based.
Got it. Problem is it's in another room and running a super long USB cable from it to the DAC I'm afraid will degrade the SQ....

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #2,945 of 4,063
Yeah man definitely! My local dealer is also going to have me demo the XI AUDIO Sagra DAC - so it will be a 3 way throwdown. I can do a headphone comparison but my main use case is my 2.0 stereo setup (Pass Labs XA30.8 powering Magico A1 speakers) - so plenty of resolution :)

OK so my dealer was unable to acquire the Sagra dac. However, my Spring 3 KTE w/ Preamp module arrived and I had the weekend to get my initial first impressions compared to my Spring 1 L2.

Auralic Aries streamer (with linear PSU) over AES > DAC > mPre > XA30.8 > Magico A1

I want to say the Spring 1 L2 was hands down one of the best DAC's I've had in my system beating Chord Qutest,MiniMax,Vega and others I can't think of currently in the $1k-$2k price range very convincingly. I would wager if you find one used under $1.5k you struck a bargain. I would say it's very possible depending on speakers/headphones (low-mid hifi things) that you would barely notice much of a difference between the Spring 1 and Spring 3, however with my Magico's it was a nice step up over the original spring. These things just seem to have no limit for the detail and resolution they can provide.

The first thing that struck me even when the KTE was ice cold was the clarity increased a good 20-25% (hard to quantify lol) - but I knew right away my very first thought was, this sounds clearer. Tonally they are very similar when using the same preamp (W4S mPRE) I had. I wouldn't say there was a huge jump in sound stage or imaging, but just that things cleaned up and sounded that little bit closer to being there in the space with live music.

The real difference I noticed was when I removed the preamp from the equation and just used the KTE preamp. Now I know my preamp was a 'weak' point at only $1100, but it's fully balanced and did a good job for the money spent. I've never been one to justify spending a ton of money on preamps, they had a job - volume control. This has me rethinking that :)

I don't know if it was the implementation of the their preamp into the DAC, but let me tell you- this was the real game changer for me.

The music eased, relaxed, was more organic and natural sounding - the sound stage added height, depth and width. Vocals just sounded that much more life like and real. I would say a slight thinning of the bass, but that bass is now more refined/accurate.. Now my bookshelfs despite being in a small room aren't the final say in bass, don't get me wrong they do a great enough job - but these aren't full range speakers to begin with.

So despite my love for the Spring 1, this updated version 3 KTE just hits all the right notes for me and will be staying in my system for a long time.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,946 of 4,063
Hi everyone

Proud new owner of the Holo Spring 3 KTE. Previous owner of a Chord Qutest.
First impressions out of the box:
Fuller more richer Base
More details and dynamics
Wide sound stage

If it gets even better with break in i'm going to be very happy.

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,947 of 4,063
Hi everyone

Proud new owner of the Holo Spring 3 KTE. Previous owner of a Chord Qutest.
First impressions out of the box:
Fuller more richer Base
More details and dynamics
Wide sound stage

If it gets even better with break in i'm going to be very happy.
It will get quite a bit better as it burns in, I have come from a Qutest & after over three weeks of burn in there is no comparison, a massive step up from the Qutest. Be patient & enjoy the evolving sound of the Spring, I am sure you will love it.

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #2,949 of 4,063
Seems like everyone is going for the KTE variant, I am guessing the L1 and L2 variants aren't worth it? How big of a difference do y'all reckon it is

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #2,950 of 4,063
Seems like everyone is going for the KTE variant, I am guessing the L1 and L2 variants aren't worth it? How big of a difference do y'all reckon it is
I've not listened to them myself but I ve heard about the difference between L2 and L3 being very subtle and the key reason is really the Titanis USB module.

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2,951 of 4,063
A bit skeptical myself that any significant difference exists in an under $20K system if you are not using USB/prefer an external DDC. I suspect that most are buying the KTE
version for the USB upgrade and ease of resale. I do wonder if its possible to upgrade the USB at a later date...

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,952 of 4,063
I've not listened to them myself but I ve heard about the difference between L2 and L3 being very subtle and the key reason is really the Titanis USB module.
A bit skeptical myself that any significant difference exists in an under $20K system if you are not using USB/prefer an external DDC. I suspect that most are buying the KTE
version for the USB upgrade and ease of resale. I do wonder if its possible to upgrade the USB at a later date...

To be honest I can definitely see the reasoning of better resale value sticking

I guess the conundrum I am facing is that the Denafrips Iris I2S pinouts is not compatible with the Spring 3 haha, hopefully someone had the chance to demo both variants to educate me.

Maybe I am going insane from the iris, but I genuinely felt there was a difference between i2s and usb on my current DAC*

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,953 of 4,063
To be honest I can definitely see the reasoning of better resale value sticking

I guess the conundrum I am facing is that the Denafrips Iris I2S pinouts is not compatible with the Spring 3 haha, hopefully someone had the chance to demo both variants to educate me.

Maybe I am going insane from the iris, but I genuinely felt there was a difference between i2s and usb on my current DAC*
Yep, that's actually the reasoning for i2s for "standard" DACs.
Reviews claim that there's no need for i2s when having the Titanis modules, so these sound equally good on May / S3 KTE.
Thus if you yet have (good PIN compatible) i2s go for S3 L2 and better invest in preamp etc, otherwise go for Titanis and skip i2s gear.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,954 of 4,063

There is a big difference between I2S and USB for Spring 2. No difference for Spring 3 KTE.
That's what I heard in one of reviews 🤷‍♂️

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #2,955 of 4,063
If I had not needed the pre amp, been curious of the Enhanced USB, and able to afford it I wouldn't have got the KTE variant and lived happily ever after.
I have seen the measurements of the base level. Almost off the charts.
Lack of jitter in standard usb crazy impressive.
Even Holo says L1 best bang for buck. All the important excellent engineering is right there to start with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back