Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 5, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,911 of 4,067
Terminator Plus+Gaia DDC via I2S >> Terminator Plus via usb > Venus 2+Iris DDC via I2S = Spring 3 KTE via usb > Venus 2 via usb >> original Terminator > Qutest + LPS via bnc > Yggy A2 > Qutest + LPS via usb > Qutest via any input

my ears, brain, systems, sonic preferences and priorities etc.
Thanks for this, seems to be inline with other opinions with some of the same gear. How is the Spring 3 KTE via I2S?

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,913 of 4,067
Did you compare the Spring 3 with the Venus 2 both using an external preamp?

Thanks!

Yes, I used/experimented with both DAC's using an external Blue Circle Audio tube preamp in the chain. My Spring 3 KTE is the version with the preamp module, and you can't bypass the preamp module so you can't completely take it out of the chain.

I just put the Spring volume with no attenuation and then used the Blue Circle pre to attenuate, then vice versa, then compared to just Spring preamp without the Blue Circle pre in the chain. I also swapped in my Aesthetix Calypso preamp to add another variable for comparison.

After that I experimented using a blend of both the Spring preamp and Blue Circle preamp to attenuate and ended up subjectively preferring that combo. The Spring preamp is very good, especially considering the modest cost for the module.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,916 of 4,067
Anyone here using HQPlayer on MacOS with a MeleUSB Stick as NAA?
Told to be the easiest and cheapest way to get around the DSD and PCM sample rate limits of MacOS.
Just HQPlayer NAA image to be installed and stream to the stick which is connected to the Spring 3 KTE via USB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V8VJF6L/

What I also just read is that any filter processing, especially using the before mentioned PCM upsampling settings is leading to a -3db volume decrease 🙄
So far I expected only such a decrease for playing DSD (there it's -6db) or applying PEQs.
Using HQPlayer processing will therefore reduce the headroom of my Poweramp with Susvara - have to see how much - now questioning if KTE with preamp module is actually necessary for that scenario - for standard unprocessed listening I suppose to not get over 12 o'clock position on my Ferrum OOR based on the experience with my old DAC with 5.3V input

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #2,917 of 4,067
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 10.21.14.png

I use Sinc-Mx. How is it different from Sinc-L ?

Sinc-L is a longer filter at that sample rate... over 4 million taps vs Sinc-M/Mx which is 1 million taps. That's the technical difference.

My subjective impressions is that Sinc L is a bit beefier sounding. Sinc M is more agile and incisive. Both are nice, but I prefer L because sounds to me like a combination of additional warmth and incisiveness.

Since you have HQPlayer, you should try both and see which one you like more.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #2,918 of 4,067
Understood - would love to see how the USB is vs. using the Gaia/Iris to the Spring 3 KTE over I2S. If you ever get around to having time to play around with it - would love to get your impressions.
I was testing exactly these two setups. Hard to say which version sounds better. Direct to USB sounds little bit more forward, bit fuller bass, you can feel more energy. With Gaia to I2S sound is less forward, more airy, bass has a slightly smaller volume, but is more contoured, overall sound is calmer, more relaxed. It is difficult to exactly describe because the differences are small. Both sound great, and it's more about a personal preference for a particular sound I guess.

I am also testing another option. Ideon Audio 3R Master Time. It is top quality pure USB reclocker. Will post my findings later (as unit is new and needs some burn in time).

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #2,919 of 4,067
Just switched from a Audioquest Carbon USB to a Curious Cables USB, and the differences are very audible. Most noticeable is the much better bass control. Furthermore there is more "air" and holographic sound. Best cable upgrade so far.
(Setup: Wharfedale Elysian 2, Musical Fidelity NU600, Spring 3 KTE, Apple Mini M1 with Audirvana, Silent Angel Bonn N8 + SA F1 power supply, REL S/510 sub, IFI Power Station, Goldkabel Executive XLR, Supra XL Annorum speaker cables, Furutech PowerFlux power cables)

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #2,920 of 4,067
Just switched from a Audioquest Carbon USB to a Curious Cables USB, and the differences are very audible. Most noticeable is the much better bass control. Furthermore there is more "air" and holographic sound. Best cable upgrade so far.
(Setup: Wharfedale Elysian 2, Musical Fidelity NU600, Spring 3 KTE, Apple Mini M1 with Audirvana, Silent Angel Bonn N8 + SA F1 power supply, REL S/510 sub, IFI Power Station, Goldkabel Executive XLR, Supra XL Annorum speaker cables, Furutech PowerFlux power cables)
You seem to have optimized nearly everything, even the network switch.
I see in your signature that you re using Audirvana.
Are you happy with the solution?
Doing any upsampling?
Apple M1 and Audirvana are limited to 768 khz without additional NAA just like using HQPlayer, right?

Jan 8, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #2,922 of 4,067
Finally Spring 3 connected and starting basic setup and burn-in before diving into the depth of Audirvana, HQPlayer

Attachments

• C2E9D6C3-3CF8-446E-A123-B23DC4BCEDA6.jpeg
    C2E9D6C3-3CF8-446E-A123-B23DC4BCEDA6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #2,923 of 4,067
just to be sure, is this the official firmware to be downloaded?
HoloAudio 5.00 Drivers + Firmware 2020 (same firmwares from 4.67 driver pack)
so, it seems there's no dedicated driver download link for Spring 3 KTE but the May firmware is the same also for the Spring 3 KTE.
Reading the description on the Kitsune page about the firmware following passage is listed here
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holo-audio-may-dac/
[...]
previous drivers: HoloAudio Drivers – Win7/8/8.1/10 – v.5.00 +all firmwares for all products multiDFU tools 2021-CLICK HERE (firmware tool is for pre August20/2021 dacs with Gen2.0 USB)

*note: May DAC DAC does NOT need firmware update in some cases. L2 May and KTE May come shipped with 30.14 firmware (pre aug2021) and Gen2.0 Enhanced USB Module. (compatibility firmware), however if you need to use DSD1024 and PCM 1.536mhz than you would need to install 30.12 firmware which is less compatible with some devices. However the 30.12 firmware does support high res content with Intel Gen7,Gen8,Gen9, Gen10 type Intel boards and many AMD comparable motherboards are incompatible with this firmware.
[...]

Can anyone using HQPlayer for upsampling to 1,5 Mhz using Spring 3 KTE confirm that they ve used this firmware and downgraded the prexisting firmware on their Spring 3 KTE?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #2,924 of 4,067
I am very interested in the spring 3 but what I need to know is what is the difference between level 1and 2 with preamp? What would I be losing in sound quality if I went with the level 1? Would it be worth the extra money for level 2 with preamp? Most of the reviews I see are all level 3 kte. I would love some information on level 1 and 2 with preamp if anyone could chime in with some experience. Thanks!

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #2,925 of 4,067
If you desire the same Titanus USB module that is in the May DACs, that is only offered with the Spring 3 KTE - that is what I assume draws most to the the KTE otherwise I think the bang for buck might be with the Spring 3 level 2, if you already have a high quality DDC, or are also using either 12S, AES/EBU or COAX SPDIF as your primary input and not overly concerned with having the better USB module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back