Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #226 of 4,063

But honestly, even after all the buzz AND RMAF there wasn't a word about it on the main gear websites like innerfidelity/audiostream/stereophile nor any other, not darko not anything, what goes?

Do you any ideas how review cycle works? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #227 of 4,063
Price remains the same @ 2399usd until the new year. RMAF was our announcement of the dac. Also the announcement of our new signed drivers for Win 7/8/8.1 and 10 (for those who know how pricey these are also understand how awesome this news is) We decided to officially add many new options/mods and this raised the price of the dac as our customers felt these mods are packed with value and worth the increase. We apologize to those who believe we are equal to being a massive corporate company with endless amounts of money for inventory. Reality is we are a smaller company that hand builds each Tuned Edition with very high end components and a lot of passion for audio. Our markup is very small. And maybe our fault for keeping the markup too small in the beginning. We still need to make a profit and run a business so some will understand what we are doing and why. 

There has been many customers/companies even that have told us to charge 5grand, 6grand, 8grand even!  One particular customer stopped by our booth to hear more about this dac and then listen to the dac, He simply told me that after seeing the BOM(bill of materials) and listening to it that it must be quite expensive. He continued to mention how he noticed the components in it were of better quality than most dac's he has seen.  I asked him his opinion on what price he thinks it would sell for, and was told at least 5 grand.  I said, try less than half of that price.  And I say that proudly because we are not trying to cash grab or markup "just because we can"  The real reason for markup is exactly what we are saying. Those who listened to us at RMAF know what growing pains we are going through with some of our vendors. We have found solutions to this and are adjusting "slightly" all while having one thing in mind. KEEP COST AS LOW AS POSSIBLE. Take what I say to heart, or take it with a grain of salt.

I'm saying we will honor our pricing til the end of this year. So happy holidays to all of our customers and potential customers. We appreciate those who support us! 

-Tim and Dawn Connor
KitsuneHiFi & Holo Audio USA 

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #229 of 4,063
  But honestly, even after all the buzz AND RMAF there wasn't a word about it on the main gear websites like innerfidelity/audiostream/stereophile nor any other, not darko not anything, what goes?

A number of DACs and other products weren't mentioned in any major review sites for years after they been available and well-known on Head-Fi.  I reckon if you are really that desperate to read a comparative review, please buy or borrow the DACs you require compared and do it yourself.

But between the options of sending out, say, $10k of product for review versus selling that $10k worth of product, I don't see why one would bother doing the former if there was already customer demand.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #230 of 4,063

A number of DACs and other products weren't mentioned in any major review sites for years after they been available and well-known on Head-Fi.  

I'm not talking for @XVampireX
This is just my own own qualms. I agree with you, major review sites are slow. I'll also add major review sites inherently have a bias, I don't usually go to them for honest reviews. 

Quote:
  I reckon if you are really that desperate to read a comparative review, please buy or borrow the DACs you require compared and do it yourself.

Obviously unsustainable for the general public. This is the essence of why reviews even exist. To purport this is needed for someone to get an informed opinion... sure if money grows on trees. 

Quote:
  But between the options of sending out, say, $10k of product for review versus selling that $10k worth of product, I don't see why one would bother doing the former if there was already customer demand.

I agree here. No reason Kitsune should be sending these out for free review.
BUT... This is why people come to sites, such as the one I'm typing this reply on, "Head-Fi". Most people generally go on forums to to get user reviews and advice on products.

I have (maybe?) the same question as XVampireX, where's the user reviews..?
In this entire thread, there is only one person with a review of this DAC v.s. a similarly priced competitor, the Yggdrasil.

The Spring DAC is certainly leagues ahead of the yiggy...

Pretty cocksure declaration, with no explanation to believe it. Just a statement out in the vacuum of space.

Quote:
  I have heard both (own a kitsune tuned edition spring). The yiggy is a not capable of producing sound half as good as the spring (literally) -- it can't even do dsd.

I want to preface this, I'm really not trying to bash anybody, or the product here.
With that said, this sounds like a ten year old trying to convince his friend why his Nerf gun is better than his.

There is only one review in this thread, non-articulated with bold hyperbolized statements.
Reviews like that actually tilt me away from the product, not towards it.
As anybody knows, when you get the precipice of audio quality, gains are small.

Don't get my wrong, I'm super excited from the buzz around this DAC. I even talked with @bimmer100 about probably selling either my Yggy or M7 to get the Holo DAC. Although, I'd like to not fall into hype like so many products on these forums. I'll stay inquisitive, but apprehensive, until really solid user reviews come in.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #231 of 4,063
Here is the first picture of my Holo Spring sent by my dealer (not Kitsune) if anybody is interested.

Pretty neat IMO.

This is a Level 3 Spring but not the Kitsune tuned edition. I hope to receive it in few days time...

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #233 of 4,063

Is Wildism Audio your dealer-customizer? Looks looks like it is.

Yes - spot on.Have you dealt with him before?

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #234 of 4,063
Yes, I have the same top version but with Audio Note transformer.
My Holo Spring (Wildism Audio editions) goes across Russia in tour — http://dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075

BTW Soundaware D100 is pretty good source for Spring as one reviewer said.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #235 of 4,063
My Holo Spring (Wildism Audio editions) goes across Russia in tour — http://dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075

Excellent! I will appreciate is you can provide feedback from the lucky part of the tour. 

Yes, Soundaware D100 Pro is really a good source, period. It made my DAC-19 (current DAC) really sings.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #236 of 4,063
I agree here. No reason Kitsune should be sending these out for free review.
BUT... This is why people come to sites, such as the one I'm typing this reply on, "Head-Fi". Most people generally go on forums to to get user reviews and advice on products.

In this entire thread, there is only one person with a review of this DAC v.s. a similarly priced competitor, the Yggdrasil.

I want to preface this, I'm really not trying to bash anybody, or the product here.
With that said, this sounds like a ten year old trying to convince his friend why his Nerf gun is better than his.

There is only one review in this thread, non-articulated with bold hyperbolized statements.
Reviews like that actually tilt me away from the product, not towards it.
As anybody knows, when you get the precipice of audio quality, gains are small.

Don't get my wrong, I'm super excited from the buzz around this DAC. I even talked with @bimmer100
 about probably selling either my Yggy or M7 to get the Holo DAC. Although, I'd like to not fall into hype like so many products on these forums. I'll stay inquisitive, but apprehensive, until really solid user reviews come in.

There are some more comparisons on AGon that may put your mind to rest

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #237 of 4,063
Quote from AGon:
"Thanks guys,
My post was no attempt to write a formal review but rather an impression of its performance relative to a know highly regarded reference such as the Bricasti SE. If the additionof the Singxer SU-1 provides even modest improvement then we have a DAC of enormous performance/cost value. This is excellent news for those shopping for terrific sound quality at very reasonable cost."

I will be comparing it to the MSB Platinum this week......

Cheers
Greg

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #238 of 4,063

The vast majority of people who buy a product will never even attempt to comment on it, let alone review it. On Head-Fi, it's usually only when either someone enthusiastic to share their impressions, or a seasoned member gets hold of something that you see anything like a review. If a product is getting a large number of reviews, it is because it is selling in great quantities, the manufacturer is very well-known here, they have sent out dozens of review samples, or some combination of all that. 

One of my other hobbies is photography. However despite having been one for many years, owned many cameras and accessories, and read much online, I think in the past decade I've only posted twice on any forum or site. This is the way it is for the vast majority of people who read sites with reviews or discussion.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #239 of 4,063

What digital inputs do you use?
I thought the Audio Note transformer is only used for Coax and AES....

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #240 of 4,063
What digital inputs do you use?
I thought the Audio Note transformer is only used for Coax and AES....

The audio note transformer is one mod we don't offer but we have a better option if you feel it's needed. A Russian hand wound pure silver transformer of better spec. But this mod is not recommended and only makes the sound richer and able to run long runs of 50ft of aes cable. It's for 110 ohm and frankly no point to do it unless you really do have the need for a long run cable. Otherwise it's kind of pointless , this opinion from our designer and tuner. So we won't offer it simply due to us believing it doesn't give any benefit of sound quality improvement compared to cost. Take it as you will. But maybe for a studio situation and need to run cables across the way. Sure! The stock transformer is more neutral and natural imho. And sufficient for most people running shorter cables under 10ft or so. At least this partially my understanding for the transformer aes upgrade. For 110ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back