Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #211 of 4,063
That's a shame as clearly you have not read Tims reasons. Have you been following the silver market price?
I love this Dac and the only one missing out will be you. Very judgemental on your behalf on an open forum. No one is forcing you to purchase.

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #212 of 4,063
  +1....hopefully it wont push this DAC out of my price range.

We have posted an update on our website. And are honoring our RMAF pricing for a specific period of time. Either way, backlash or not, We can't make everyone happy. But we are offering a very fair solution. 

We value our customer feedback and thank you for those who understand!

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #213 of 4,063
That's a shame as clearly you have not read Tims reasons. Have you been following the silver market price?
I love this Dac and the only one missing out will be you. Very judgemental on your behalf on an open forum. No one is forcing you to purchase.

And still no information on whether it's better than Yggdrasil or not, since ATM, they share a similar price, now if it were better (even sound the same) than an Yggdrasil for the same price, I wouldn't mind getting it for a higher price.

But I know propaganda when I see it, do 1+1 here - there was a large show, people liked the DAC, so now there's demand for the DAC, so why not raise the price get more money from sales.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #214 of 4,063
To be fair, he has mentioned a number of times that the price will be going up as a result of the transformer price going up. And this was all before rmaf.

Before making unsubstantiated claims, one could do some research and find out the price of those silver transformers.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #215 of 4,063
To be fair, he has mentioned a number of times that the price will be going up as a result of the transformer price going up. And this was all before rmaf.

Before making unsubstantiated claims, one could do some research and find out the price of those silver transformers.

This is only one variable, And our transfomer is actually quite specific in using it's own uniquely sourced wire and exclusively made to kitsune Hifi Specifications. Another cost is the including all pure silver wire instead of copper wire and replacing all the faston connnectors with pure silver/rhodium plated connectors, also a quite pricey mundorf cap is added to replace the blue film cap, and a lot of extra labor involved as well. plus the audio horizon fuse. I've asked over a dozen customers what their thoughts on included the fuse as PART OF THE PRICE, and all of them agreed to add for our cost. which we are doing. But will now reconsider and offer it without at a 100dollars discount which is OUR COST!  The value is there, but the sound is most important.  We encourage you to go to other companies and listen to competition. PLEASE. That's great, because we know there are a lot of good options on the market, yet we stand confident knowing the price point we are at is extremely competitive.  Money doesn't drive us, it's the passion for music.   

anyhow, People will view this however they see fit. RMAF is not why the prices are going up. We have remained transparent through this whole process and still are trying to level with our customers. We choose our vendors carefully and hope our customers will follow us along the way. We can't make everyone happy. We know this.

Those who did take a listen to our dac will know what value they truly are getting. I WILL NOT comment on other dac's  or mention that many customers have sold "unamed" dacs after purchasing their spring dac. We know it's capable and are proud of it's price poin and level of performance. We want to try to stick to the facts on this forum and stay on topic.  

I understand there will be upset customers so we are cushioning this transition. Take this as you well.  I soon to be leaving Headfi for this very reason of politics.  I know our product speaks for itself and there is no need for me to come on here to post. So that being said, I've not much else to comment on. We are adjusting accordingly to industry changes, and those who understand this, thank you so much. We appreciate the support of all our customers who are truly behind us and supporting our company! 

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #216 of 4,063
Those who don't see it now. the prices of silver have risen by 60% from a few of our vendors already. And we don't know how much worse this will get. Current market prices are still being manipulated a bit so showing it being lower. But industry demand is significant right now. Asking around and doing some homework will reveal what is going on. 

For instance, a meter of 2mm silver wire cost me 30usd a week ago and now is 50usd. I'm looking at other vendors...sure, but that's not the point. there is no replacement for silver. the costs will be going up eventually. all gadgets will cost more eventually. I don't want to believe it, but when prices start to go up, I start to panic. It's never been "cheap" and it will only go in one direction from this day forward. UP.  I used to invest in the silver market before it's last boom.  but this market can't stay down low forever. although... I wish it could.

http://www.silverdoctors.com/silver/silver-news/industry-insider-silver-price-to-surge-to-over-100oz-on-global-tech-gadget-demand/

http://www.commoditytrademantra.com/silver-trading-news/why-silver-prices-could-have-considerably-more-upside-than-gold/

just a few of dozens and dozens of articles discussing silver currently. for those who care. 

But when my vendors change prices then it becomes very real to us.  RMAF has nothing to do with it, DEMAND has nothing to do with it. we knew and expected demand no matter if we did RMAF or not.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #217 of 4,063

I think it is a special order, because no one is using silver in power transformer.
Even in highend DAC like Trinity GTE, Gryphon Galliope, MBL 1611... there are using cooper transformer.
So you need to contact the supplier and ask them a price quote for a special order.

Since october the price of silver is moving down and the last 4 months the price was relatively stable, there is no good reason to see the price of those transformer moving up.
A good manufacturer like Lundahl have not changed there price on silver OPT since more than 3 years.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #218 of 4,063
  But when my vendors change prices then it becomes very real to us.  RMAF has nothing to do with it, DEMAND has nothing to do with it. we knew and expected demand no matter if we did RMAF or not.

Guys, it's not like Kitsune has been sitting on a batch of 1000 of these units that he bought four months ago and is increasing price on his existing stock in an attempt to capitalize on market buzz. From what I gather, Holo Audio China is making these in really small batches and sending them overseas to Kitsune or drop shipping to Kitsune's customers directly. There are what, less than 25 in existence as of now? When electronics are made on this small of a scale, price changes on a batch-by-batch basis are just the reality. Tim seems like one of the good guys, not sure whey he is getting all of the heat here..

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #220 of 4,063

And still no information on whether it's better than Yggdrasil or not, since ATM, they share a similar price, now if it were better (even sound the same) than an Yggdrasil for the same price, I wouldn't mind getting it for a higher price.

But I know propaganda when I see it, do 1+1 here - there was a large show, people liked the DAC, so now there's demand for the DAC, so why not raise the price get more money from sales.

The Spring DAC is certainly leagues ahead of the yiggy... I have heard both (own a kitsune tuned edition spring). The yiggy is a not capable of producing sound half as good as the spring (literally) -- it can't even do dsd.

Vampire, you should totally get the yiggy!

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #221 of 4,063
And just as an aside I will add that the HOLO Spring competes with dacs double and triple its price. You should not be complaining about pricing going up.... especially considering that it is because of raw material and component cost.

Just my 2 cents!

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #222 of 4,063
Quote:
  The Spring DAC is certainly leagues ahead of the yiggy... I have heard both (own a kitsune tuned edition spring). The yiggy is a not capable of producing sound half as good as the spring (literally) -- it can't even do dsd.

Vampire, you should totally get the yiggy!

May I ask how much time you spent with the Yggd, and what was was the rest of the system you heard both out of?

I was deciding between the Yggd and the Spring, I ended up ordering the spring because of DSD support.

Does the spring need to be left on for weeks like the Yggd to sound it's best?

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #223 of 4,063
  And just as an aside I will add that the HOLO Spring competes with dacs double and triple its price.

That old chestnut 
rolleyes.gif

Were veils lifted, too?

To date, there has been exactly zero reviews of this DAC that put it up against competition in or around its price bracket and do a good job explaining the sonic differences. Nor are there any reviews that compare the sonic differences between the Level 1, 2 and 3 grades. This whole product is marketing noise and hilarious claims of competing with units 3 times its price (still laughing at that one) until someone gets it on a test bench and a few serious comparative reviews appear.  

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #224 of 4,063
You can start following this thread (in Russian, learn Russian
biggrin.gif
)
http://dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075

It's promo tour of HOLO Audio Spring DAC (Jensen, Silver Trafo, AN Trans) in Russia.

It's compared against
— Berkeley DAC 1 and Wadia 15 — http://www.dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075/489
— Naim DAC with Teddy PSU
— Today it will fight against Metrum Pavane

Various listeners will review it in their own system Hilo DAC, Rokna DAC, 

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #225 of 4,063
For anyone complaining about high prices in Hi-Fi gear, you are definitely in the wrong hobby. The marketplace alone will determine which Hi-Fi companies survives this dog eat dog world.

I'm not complaining about high prices I'm complaining about the sudden increase right after a show. If you notice my gear is not any cheaper than this DAC...
  You can start following this thread (in Russian, learn Russian
biggrin.gif
)
http://dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075

It's promo tour of HOLO Audio Spring DAC (Jensen, Silver Trafo, AN Trans) in Russia.

It's compared against
— Berkeley DAC 1 and Wadia 15 — http://www.dastereo.ru/t/holo-audio-spring-dac-r2r-dsd512/2075/489
— Naim DAC with Teddy PSU
— Today it will fight against Metrum Pavane

Various listeners will review it in their own system Hilo DAC, Rokna DAC, 

Yeah, someone gave me that link on PM, good that I'm also originally from Ukraine so not having problems with Russian :D

But honestly, even after all the buzz AND RMAF there wasn't a word about it on the main gear websites like innerfidelity/audiostream/stereophile nor any other, not darko not anything, what goes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back