Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jul 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,082 of 1,870
Id imagine any input but USB gets their clock dictated by the red.
Ye had to look it up my Dac does no have I²S but indeed I²S also seems to carry its own clock.

My unraid server which also holds my music collection decided stay offline after we had to take the power down
(i don't have the means to figure out if i can restore it for now; like a vga screen, and also ipmi refuses the login)

So I decided to tryout Qobuz. it seemed interesting to be able to stream directly to the Red.
airplay seems limited to 48khz, even if play a Hi-Res the yggy only shows 44.1 x1 as recieving signal.

does anyone know a method to get Qobuz Hi-RES to the RED directly from an IOS (iphone) device?

i know for android there are apps like bubleupnp

Regards

Update. found an app called Mconnect. (lite for now) it seems to work with hi-res streams.
had to stop the qobuz app playing to airdrop for the RED to showup as UPNP renderer im Nconnect.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,083 of 1,870
does anyone know a method to get Qobuz Hi-RES to the RED directly from an IOS (iphone) device?
Use Mconnect or JPlay.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,084 of 1,870
Use Mconnect or JPlay.
thanks,
i was already playing with Mconnect lite. got it to work but had some glitches while streaming 192 hz files i heard the yggy click multiple times (like it does when changing frequency) multile times during a track. wonder if that is a wireless issue or something else.

so far i see that best desktop integration is with Roon or Audirvana but for hte moment i'm not looking for more subscriptions.

will check out Jplay ... oh noes more subscribtions

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #1,086 of 1,870
thanks,
i was already playing with Mconnect lite. got it to work but had some glitches while streaming 192 hz files i heard the yggy click multiple times (like it does when changing frequency) multile times during a track. wonder if that is a wireless issue or something else.

so far i see that best desktop integration is with Roon or Audirvana but for hte moment i'm not looking for more subscriptions.

will check out Jplay ... oh noes more subscribtions
Highly recommend JPLAY or Roon for this, but like you said, both have subscription costs...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #1,087 of 1,870
Highly recommend JPLAY or Roon for this, but like you said, both have subscription costs...

does JPlay stream from desktop and or from device?
roon always needs a server running right?

I currently have a demo of audirvana. the clicky thing happens here too usually on the first track of the (streaming) album. its a bit unnerving (dont know if its bad for the dac) never had such a thing playing local files over Jriver i suspect it is a streaming thing. also had some weird glitches yesterday evening were it would suddenly stop playing mid playlist and the Red became unavailable (at least from the pc), even after shutting down audirvana Jriver could see it but not use it. i could reboot it from the webpage to make it work again. fior a sec I was afraid something was wrong with the red but streamed all night from mconnect and that worked just fine. so it more likely to be an audirvana problem.

Odd thing is that if i stream from a device to the red Jriver if its on shows what is currently playing. I wondered if I'm streaming to Jriver (since its other zones show up on Mconnect) but when i shutdown Jriver the stream continues uninterrupted. so my guess is Jriver somehow getting feedback from the red.

Shame Qobuz cant figure out its endpoint or dlna/upnp support. i saw post dating 5 years back they had it in beta. and over a year old post they were working on it.

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,088 of 1,870
I am totally confused at this point with the holo red.

Holo Red USB OUT -> May IN
Holo Red ETH IN -> Network

Roon via HQP = Works fine
Airplay & Spotify = Does not work

Is this because I am using the USB OUT, which boots this into DDC vs streamer? If I wanted to use spotify & airplay as well, does that mean I need to connect I2S to the may instead?

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,089 of 1,870

Is this because I am using the USB OUT, which boots this into DDC vs streamer? If I wanted to use spotify & airplay as well, does that mean I need to connect I2S to the may instead?
i thought only USB in would disable the streamer function. not USB out.

Maybe something to do with the Usb Redirector ?

not sure i haven't used USB out

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,090 of 1,870

Do you still have HQP open when trying to stream Airplay & Spotify (HQP likely still has control of the Red otherwise as an NAA)

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,091 of 1,870
Do you still have HQP open when trying to stream Airplay & Spotify (HQP likely still has control of the Red otherwise as an NAA)

Aah duh! I feel stupid now. =) That was exactly the problem. HQP had an exclusive lock on it.

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,092 of 1,870
does JPlay stream from desktop and or from device?
roon always needs a server running right?

I currently have a demo of audirvana. the clicky thing happens here too usually on the first track of the (streaming) album. its a bit unnerving (dont know if its bad for the dac) never had such a thing playing local files over Jriver i suspect it is a streaming thing. also had some weird glitches yesterday evening were it would suddenly stop playing mid playlist and the Red became unavailable (at least from the pc), even after shutting down audirvana Jriver could see it but not use it. i could reboot it from the webpage to make it work again. fior a sec I was afraid something was wrong with the red but streamed all night from mconnect and that worked just fine. so it more likely to be an audirvana problem.

Odd thing is that if i stream from a device to the red Jriver if its on shows what is currently playing. I wondered if I'm streaming to Jriver (since its other zones show up on Mconnect) but when i shutdown Jriver the stream continues uninterrupted. so my guess is Jriver somehow getting feedback from the red.

Shame Qobuz cant figure out its endpoint or dlna/upnp support. i saw post dating 5 years back they had it in beta. and over a year old post they were working on it.
Roon - Roon (Core or Server) always needs to be running, right. You can run either on Mac, Windows, and Linux computers (including some NAS devices). I have Roon Server running on an old x86 machine with an i7-4790 CPU (in a room where my audio gear isn't located), running GentooPlayer.

JPLAY for iOS - It's UPnP control software. You stream to a device like the Red via UPnP using your iOS device as a control point. No desktop or device other than the control point iOS device is needed to stream Tidal or Qobuz. To stream local files, you'd need to run server software on a computer or on a NAS where your files are located. My local audio files are on a NAS, and I run MinimServer on the NAS for that purpose. Very solid software.

Some people might not agree with this (because it might be hard to understand how control software can affect sound), but...JPLAY for iOS as a control point sounds better than Mconnect (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #1,094 of 1,870
Some people might not agree with this (because it might be hard to understand how control software can affect sound), but...JPLAY for iOS as a control point sounds better than Mconnect (in my opinion).
cheers. it would already be a win if it looks better.
actually i experienced something similar back in the days when i tried out Jriver as demo while i was Using Foobar. Jriver simply sounded better. bits are bits right? :laughing:

for now Qobuz is on trial.
So is audirvana, i want to like it but is seems a little iffy. The control app can not work when Nord VPN is enabled even tho Audirva is Splittunnelled to not be behind the VPN. While Jremote is working just fine.

if i were to keep the service it might also be an option to just buy a cheap android tablet and work with bubbleupnp which seems quite populair.

anyway after the RED and new Speaker cables need to recover from the financial damages. so that would be something for the future.
the streaming service is merely and alternative until i figure out how to - either bring the unraid server back online, or recover the Music library.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,095 of 1,870
after testing here is a full sum-up of what i found so far:

sources:

PC
Jriver MC: Qobuz local file upnp/dlna / USB
Audirvana (trial): Qobuz Stream & local file upnp/dlna

iphone
Mconnect: Qobuz Stream upnp/dlna

next in line

Holo Audio RED
in: Ethernet or USB
out: AES/EBU - also tried Digital cinch-cinch cable (same result)

Problem
when playing the first track of the 50th anniversary album Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (from Qobuz) the DAC starts a series of clicks it would normally only make once at he start of a track when it is switching for the first time to a new sample rate. (as if the "handshake" is not landing, there is audio tho)

once the album is on its way it does not happen again (even on the first song). until i play a file of a different sample rate.

I have not tested switching from different sample rates to other songs on the album to see if it happens there too but I did hear it happen on other files while streaming random playlists from qobuz (which it does after it finishes and album unless you tell it not to in the settings).

- For now i am only aware of it happening on 24/192khz tracks.

- it happens on both direct streams PC - audirvana / iphone - Mconnect
and on the local file PC - Audirvana, Jriver

so it is not specific to "Source" PC/iphone or Stream vs Local File.

- it still happens when using USB in instead of Ethernet on the RED (Jriver)

- it still happened when changing the AES/EBU Cable to a digital spdif cinch-cinch cable.

- it Does NOT happen when i go USB direct into the yggdrasil.

When trying to use Audirva with USB to RED it started moaning about output levels and when ignored since it dont want to paly any levels it blue screened my computer. I did not change the vanillla settings !?! (are they wrong?)
I normally don't want level control on my digital signals unless i want it to automate leveling on mixed playlist using R128. (another strike for Audirvana)

so far my testing

i don't have other streamers - dacs (that support 192khz) - or AES/EBU cables to swap out

it seems unlikely to me it is a cable problem.

the ODD thing is it does not happen with direct USB into the Dac . but it does with USB into the RED. with both AES/EBU and spdif (cinch).

afaik the USBgen 5 board in my Yggy does not support Universal usb Audio but even if it did it would defeat the point of the red as reclocker.

anyone with ideas, or the possibility to test (if you have Qobuz) are welcome.

Regards,

time for some coffee

edit: forgot to mention that i have as of yet not seen this problem with the couple of 24/192khz albums i already had although i have not tested each track separately switching from a different sample rate (yet, ...maybe).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back