Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jul 2, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,051 of 1,917
Hi, what is the firmware version of your WD DAC? I am using Holo RED with the default I2S PIN setting output to my WD Edition using HD-Link1R. No L-R ch swap issue for PCM and DSD. My DAC Firmware version is 4.8Axe .
I got it sorted out. Had some inconsistencies with my devices, cables, headphones but restarting everything and connecting everything again worked.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,052 of 1,917
You can tell if the R26 is playing back DSD by the rate shown on its display. If it's a MHz rate it's DSD, if KHz its PCM. But more to the point if you feed it a DSD source then it'll either play it back or it won't.

My understanding to date was the R26 needed to be told via pin 15 whether the signal was DSD or PCM and most, but not all, R26 units default to PCM so would be unable to playback a DSD source as they're expecting PCM. Unless that is, the Red sends some other signal that helps the R26 in the absence of Pin 15, or that pin map for Pin 15 we've seen is incorrect and the Red does actually send a flag via Pin 15, or finally and least likely but not impossible Gustard has added auto detect functionality in recent firmware. Lots of speculation...
I can see now that our colleague has already received RED and it is perfect with R26. With some frugal dac, if I wanted to "hear sound" from DSD records, I would probably enable DSD over PCM (DoP) function on RED as a quick and dirty solution.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #1,053 of 1,917
Anyone know how much RAM the Red CM4 have? planning to use Gentooplayer in RAM mode.

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #1,054 of 1,917
Anyone know how much RAM the Red CM4 have? planning to use Gentooplayer in RAM mode.
I don't know how much RAM it has, but I'm using my Red with GentooPlayer in RAM mode without the slightest issue.
With GentooPlayer even the 1 GB of the Rpi3 is sufficient to run it in RAM mode.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #1,055 of 1,917
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read somewhere that the Red CM4 has 2GB of ram.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,056 of 1,917
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read somewhere that the Red CM4 has 2GB of ram.
Yep, 2 gigs is right.

These are from GentooPlayer running on the Red:

Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 1.18.07 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2023-07-06 at 1.18.34 AM.jpg

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,057 of 1,917
I don't know how much RAM it has, but I'm using my Red with GentooPlayer in RAM mode without the slightest issue.
With GentooPlayer even the 1 GB of the Rpi3 is sufficient to run it in RAM mode.
Perfect. Thanks for the info. And thanks mr_macgee and brillo for the screenshot.

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,058 of 1,917
So, I just received my pre-owned Red from a fellow Head-Fi member to go along with my new Spring 3 DAC LV3 KTE as a streamer with Roon using my MacBook Pro (10.15.7). I'm a bit stumped with the set up. I inserted the Red OS TF card into the SD slot, connected my Ethernet cable for streaming, connected USB Out from the Red into USB on my Spring then powered up the Red. The indicator on the Red was solid red, then flashed red a few times, then went out. I powered up my Spring 3 and see DSD1024X on its display. What I don't see in my 'Network' settings on my Mac is the Red?

I've also tried several times to re-boot both, my router and the Red as well as power down and reinstall the TF card to no avail. Still don't see the Red on my network. Keep in mind that I'm just trying to use the Red as a streamer (not a DDC) with Roon. Both, my Mac and Red are on the same network via Ethernet connection and my Mac is recognized, but again, not the Red. Prior to the Red I had the Sonore uR running without issue. If I need to provide any further information please ask. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Joseph

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,059 of 1,917
So, I just received my pre-owned Red from a fellow Head-Fi member to go along with my new Spring 3 DAC LV3 KTE as a streamer with Roon using my MacBook Pro (10.15.7). I'm a bit stumped with the set up. I inserted the Red OS TF card into the SD slot, connected my Ethernet cable for streaming, connected USB Out from the Red into USB on my Spring then powered up the Red. The indicator on the Red was solid red, then flashed red a few times, then went out. I powered up my Spring 3 and see DSD1024X on its display. What I don't see in my 'Network' settings on my Mac is the Red?

I've also tried several times to re-boot both, my router and the Red as well as power down and reinstall the TF card to no avail. Still don't see the Red on my network. Keep in mind that I'm just trying to use the Red as a streamer (not a DDC) with Roon. Both, my Mac and Red are on the same network via Ethernet connection and my Mac is recognized, but again, not the Red. Prior to the Red I had the Sonore uR running without issue. If I need to provide any further information please ask. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Joseph
What happens when you go into a browser on your mac and try to access red.local ?

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,061 of 1,917
Apologies, but I'm not familiar with what you're asking, nor how to do so?
I just typed red.local in to my browser and there is nothing that I see relating to the holo red?
If you're Red was connected to the network that should've led you to its web dashboard. You should see a green light on the device after it turns on and connection should be almost immediate.

Did it work before it was shipped to you? Did you try a different power cable? Outlet? Have you done anything special with the SD card?

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,062 of 1,917
@orrman

No, I've done nothing to the Red OS SD card whatsoever.
I've read the PDF instruction manual and all you mention above is in it, but I haven't gotten anything remotely close to what you or the instructions say. The seller also gave me the assume instructions in a PM. No, I've not tried changing out the power cord or outlet which I will try, but as I mentioned, the indicator light is steady red, the flashes a few times, goes away, flashes again, then goes out without any indication of it being in my network. No.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,063 of 1,917
@orrman

No, I've done nothing to the Red OS SD card whatsoever.
I've read the PDF instruction manual and all you mention above is in it, but I haven't gotten anything remotely close to what you or the instructions say. The seller also gave me the assume instructions in a PM. No, I've not tried changing out the power cord or outlet which I will try, but as I mentioned, the indicator light is steady red, the flashes a few times, goes away, flashes again, then goes out without any indication of it being in my network. No.
I'd reflash the SD card and see if that solves the issue.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,065 of 1,917
Joesph, To help narrow down things and possibilities, can you please try doing the same thing but using a coax digital cable from Red into the Holo DAC instead of USB and see if that helps or do you get same symptoms?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back