Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jul 8, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,066 of 1,914
So, I just received my pre-owned Red from a fellow Head-Fi member to go along with my new Spring 3 DAC LV3 KTE as a streamer with Roon using my MacBook Pro (10.15.7). I'm a bit stumped with the set up. I inserted the Red OS TF card into the SD slot, connected my Ethernet cable for streaming, connected USB Out from the Red into USB on my Spring then powered up the Red. The indicator on the Red was solid red, then flashed red a few times, then went out. I powered up my Spring 3 and see DSD1024X on its display. What I don't see in my 'Network' settings on my Mac is the Red?

I've also tried several times to re-boot both, my router and the Red as well as power down and reinstall the TF card to no avail. Still don't see the Red on my network. Keep in mind that I'm just trying to use the Red as a streamer (not a DDC) with Roon. Both, my Mac and Red are on the same network via Ethernet connection and my Mac is recognized, but again, not the Red. Prior to the Red I had the Sonore uR running without issue. If I need to provide any further information please ask. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Joseph
I would download LanScan on your MacBook Pro (from the Apple App Store). Link - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lanscan/id472226235?mt=12

Then run it to show all the devices on your network. Try to find the Red that way. Look for this in the Vendor column (in LanScan):
1688849051050.jpeg

If you don't see the device, I would reflash the SD card (as @genefruit suggested).

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,067 of 1,914
My last post showing the front panel of the Red was from the owners manual PDF to show "it is normal to flash or go off depending on load" meaning the red indicator which I was experiencing, and still am.

Thank very much to everyone for the help. A huge thanks to @mr_derrick who I purchased the Red from. We spoke on the phone and being I couldn't see the IP address for the Red on my MacBook he asked if I could get in to my Verizon G3100 router settings to see if I can see the Red as a connected device to my network, which I was familiar with how do.

I saw the Red showing as a connected device and was able to see the IP address as well, so I entered it in to my browser and clicked on the site for the IP address administration login. From there, I re-entered the IP address in my browser and the Red configuration page opened allowing me to configure my settings. I selected initially 'HQP NAA' was selected, so I proceeded to select 'Roon Bridge' > Save > Reboot.

BUT, I do not see the Red as an 'audio zone' in Roon? This is as far as I've gotten. I'm thinking that maybe I should re-configure my settings on the Red page to UPNP because even though there is a check box for 'Roon Bridge' I'm thinking it's for something else (?) because the Red is not "Roon Ready", correct? If this is correct does anyone know what the 'Roon Bridge' is about?

Thank you very much,
Joseph

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,069 of 1,914
I tried this already and there was nothing showing.
I went back in to the Red configuration page BUT this time I had the Red connected to my Spring (powered on) via USB and was able to have a choice between 'Standard' and 'Enhanced' from the drop down menu, where before I didn't have this choice, so I chose 'Enhanced' un-checked 'Roon Bridge' then checked it again, then checked 'Enhanced - Audio Control Device' > Save > Reboot, launched Roon, went in to 'Audio' settings and there was the Red! I'm all set to go tonight!

Once again, thanks to all who helped and gave their input and advice, I appreciate it very much! And thank you again @mr_derrick for the suggestion to go in to my router setting to find the IP address for the Red! Great call on that!

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 6.34.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 6.34.08 PM.png

Jul 9, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,070 of 1,914
I tried this already and there was nothing showing.
I went back in to the Red configuration page BUT this time I had the Red connected to my Spring (powered on) via USB and was able to have a choice between 'Standard' and 'Enhanced' from the drop down menu, where before I didn't have this choice, so I chose 'Enhanced' un-checked 'Roon Bridge' then checked it again, then checked 'Enhanced - Audio Control Device' > Save > Reboot, launched Roon, went in to 'Audio' settings and there was the Red! I'm all set to go tonight!

Once again, thanks to all who helped and gave their input and advice, I appreciate it very much! And thank you again @mr_derrick for the suggestion to go in to my router setting to find the IP address for the Red! Great call on that!

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 6.34.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 6.34.08 PM.png
If you have something checked in the 'USB Redirector' section, it will not be available to the streamer.
Uncheck the 'Gen2.1 enhanced' device (your DAC) in the USB redirector area, save, and it'll show in roon

Jul 9, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #1,071 of 1,914
If you have something checked in the 'USB Redirector' section, it will not be available to the streamer.
Uncheck the 'Gen2.1 enhanced' device (your DAC) in the USB redirector area, save, and it'll show in roon
I spoke too soon yesterday when I said everything was good. I was at it for 6+hrs and when I saw that Roon was showing the Red I was so tired I needed a rest and never bothered to try it. Later when I went to listen, although the Red was enabled in Roon and the music showed it was playing I wasn't getting any sound. I did exactly what you said. I selected Enhanced from the drop down window at the top of the page and unchecked the 'Enhanced" box at the bottom of the page.

Question: Right now I'm only listening to Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz files via Roon.
In my signal path below would it be correct in saying that the Red (second signal in the path) has taken total control of the Roon output?
I do have all of my Roon filters removed being I'm experimenting with the Roon settings that @littlej0e has created on this thread.

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.03.09 PM.png

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,072 of 1,914
Jul 12, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,073 of 1,914
Apologies if this has been asked already. Is there any difference in SQ using Red as a streamer as opposed to DDC please?

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,074 of 1,914
Jul 15, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #1,078 of 1,914
I have been Listening to the Red in my system for 4 days now and am very pleased.

I've been Running a 5m Supra usb cable from my pc into my Yggy OG even tho the recommended maximum length was 2m. it seemed to be working fine tho I could not help but notice some unrest/ nervousness in my system at times. I had looked at DDC's in the past but that would still mean I would be using a too long USB cable.
To make a long story short the past weeks after giving it a rest for ages and re-evaluating my options to improve my source I came across the Existence of the RED.
Simple, elegant (and as i found out later unpacking build like a tank), seemed to meet al my needs. function as Network Endpoint (how i use it) so distance to my computer was no longer an "issue" and a "ddc" tidy up the signal.

having it in mind as a Possible Future upgrade i noticed it was sold out everywhere with expected delivery times months to unknown.

so when i checked Magna Hifi last Friday the delivery "Unknown" status was changed into "in stock" my "GAS" kicked in immediately and my rainy day funds got a new purpose.

Luckily I haven't Had Regrets for a Moment, it was instantly noticeable there was no hint of unrest and everything seemed a bit tighter.
setup was relatively easy and Jriver MC Showed the streamer automatically.
I had some glitches with Jremote that didn't want to change zone but after playing music from the Main Pc that resolved itself.

Since as Far as I am aware the Gen 5 USB board that is in the yggy does not work with USb outputs from non pc devices (correct me if i'm wrong i havent tried) I'm Using the AES/EBU output.

which is fine for me cause most of my collection is redbook and i don't really care to much about HD audio so up to 24/192khz is plenty (dont kill me :p)

back to listening and chores for now

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,080 of 1,914
I would like to know as well. Thks!
I believe it does the same it does for any signal. reclock and clean power. AFAIK USB inputs are asynchronous and (re)reclock anyway and depending on your dac can also be galvanic isolated using their own clean power. it is my understanding that if you want to make full use of REDs clocks you need to use outputs like AES3 that dictates the clock.

maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can add or detract from this.

regards!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back