Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,111 of 1,914
what is the latest firmware version?

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #1,113 of 1,914
Os Release2023.04.15
ah so i didn't miss out on any :) thanks.

got a bit progress on trying to get sound from my the RED usb output to the yggy.

Jriver would just give a noise similar to white noise not sure what to call it.

but when i tried Audirvana i got sound. but only 16 bit 44.1Khz would give clean sound.

the following was tested:

16bit 44.1Khz Clean (any)
24bit 44.1Khz (rodriquo y gabriela - Meta revolution) - loud "white noise" soft music
24bit 96Khz (quesaco? - Paris Combo) music normal volume lots of pops and clicks
24bit 192Khz (The Darkside of the moon 50th aniv. - Pink floyd) normal volume lots of pops and clicks

not sure why jriver did not produce music might have to do with the DLNA settings witch probably differ from the ones Audirvana uses

On a side note both produce music fine with exact these settings when i use the AES/EBU or Spdif/cinch outputs of the RED. (apart from the weird click (relays on yggy) issue after changing to 192hkz. but once its is settled in its new sample rate that does not repeat itself)

the problem seems very similar to the one reported in this thread

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sc...ing-with-24-bit-resolved-hardware-issue/30769

everything seems to point towards an early not fully compatible gen 5 USB card on the yggy. it is out of any warranty and prefer Using AES/EBU anyway to makes use of the REDS clocks.

OH well... its is what happens when you are in the "does this thing work mode :mag:"

well we never truly know anything do we....

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,114 of 1,914
Is this the best DDC available to use with PC? Thanks.

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,115 of 1,914
thanks,
i was already playing with Mconnect lite. got it to work but had some glitches while streaming 192 hz files i heard the yggy click multiple times (like it does when changing frequency) multile times during a track. wonder if that is a wireless issue or something else.

so far i see that best desktop integration is with Roon or Audirvana but for hte moment i'm not looking for more subscriptions.

will check out Jplay ... oh noes more subscribtions
I strongly recommend Logitech Media Server with the DLNA plugin. Works perfectly and sounds great with my RED, and it's free!

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,118 of 1,914
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,121 of 1,914
Finally red landed. Immediately burn a copy of GentooPlayer!

Also currently Diretta on GentooPlayer is eu25 instead of 100. If you have not try it do try it. It’s really the best streaming protocol.

Attachments

• IMG_1851.jpeg
    IMG_1851.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,122 of 1,914
I briefly looked into GentooPlayer but I don't quite understand the benefit. All I do with my Red now is UpNP Qobuz with JPlay on my iOS devices. However, I would really like to find a way to stream music from my Linux file server but I have not figured out the best way to do that yet.

Does GentooPlayer enable any other functions like upsampling? Is Diretta compatible with Linux? Are there communities with documentation that I can review?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,123 of 1,914
I strongly recommend Logitech Media Server with the DLNA plugin. Works perfectly and sounds great with my RED, and it's free!
I agree. thanks for the advice. I was looking for ways to install Jriver on RPI till I saw we can use DLNA/MPD plugin on LMS (which is available in Gentooplayer, easy to use). Just slap in a USB M.2 drive with my music library, and I can start using ipeng to control and play my local files.

Compare to squeezelite/R2, I still prefer UPNP/MPD. Of course I also use Diretta.

so my connection is RPI LMS server (stream to local MPD renderer, and in MPD renderer set player to diretta target) -> RPI Diretta Target -> Holo May.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,124 of 1,914
I briefly looked into GentooPlayer but I don't quite understand the benefit. All I do with my Red now is UpNP Qobuz with JPlay on my iOS devices. However, I would really like to find a way to stream music from my Linux file server but I have not figured out the best way to do that yet.

Does GentooPlayer enable any other functions like upsampling? Is Diretta compatible with Linux? Are there communities with documentation that I can review?
Gentooplayer (avail on RPI or x86 hardware), is a highly optimized linux/ubentu OS with major streaming protocol renderer/endpoint build in. I am not familiar with Qobuz, but as long as it can stream to UPNP renderer, it will work the same as before.

Gentooplayer can function as hqplayer NAA endpoint as well, but you need to setup hqplayer embeded (I also not familiar can't help you on this). Previously I use PC hqplayer with Roon integration to upsample to RPI NAA without any problem. Gentooplayer install in RPI4B can support 1.5mhz rate without any problem. I believe Red could do the same.

Diretta is compatible with linux, of course, Gentooplayer have buildin support to use Diretta. In my previous post I layout how is the configuration looks like. I paste it here as well.

RPI LMS server (stream to local MPD renderer, and in MPD renderer set player to diretta target) -> RPI Diretta Target -> Holo May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back