Holo Audio Red Streamer
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,126 of 1,924
Gentooplayer (avail on RPI or x86 hardware), is a highly optimized linux/ubentu OS with major streaming protocol renderer/endpoint build in. I am not familiar with Qobuz, but as long as it can stream to UPNP renderer, it will work the same as before.

Gentooplayer can function as hqplayer NAA endpoint as well, but you need to setup hqplayer embeded (I also not familiar can't help you on this). Previously I use PC hqplayer with Roon integration to upsample to RPI NAA without any problem. Gentooplayer install in RPI4B can support 1.5mhz rate without any problem. I believe Red could do the same.

Diretta is compatible with linux, of course, Gentooplayer have buildin support to use Diretta. In my previous post I layout how is the configuration looks like. I paste it here as well.

RPI LMS server (stream to local MPD renderer, and in MPD renderer set player to diretta target) -> RPI Diretta Target -> Holo May.
So how does gentoo player support Diretta? Is it an endpoint? If so, what is the server? Or is gentooplayer the server? Their website really explains very little about anything.

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,127 of 1,924
So how does gentoo player support Diretta? Is it an endpoint? If so, what is the server? Or is gentooplayer the server? Their website really explains very little about anything.
A Diretta streaming setup requires two computers.
The first is the Host on which the heavy computing operations are processed, including the rendering of the sound. The second is the Target (endpoint) on which very little remains to be done: unpacking the Ethernet packets, and clocking the sound.
The Host can also be the files' server, but you can have another computer on the LAN for this task.

The benefit of Diretta is that the Target is a very silent endpoint, because it runs with a very low CPU load, and more importantly, it works at a completely regular load without any bursts.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #1,128 of 1,924
A Diretta streaming setup requires two computers.
The first is the Host on which the heavy computing operations are processed, including the rendering of the sound. The second is the Target (endpoint) on which very little remains to be done: unpacking the Ethernet packets, and clocking the sound.
The Host can also be the files' server, but you can have another computer on the LAN for this task.
What needs to be installed on the server / host?

EDIT: OK I see now. Looks like you need two computers running gentoo player. Very odd how there's more info about it in the g2p manual than on their own website... Looking like I'm going to pass on this. I have no interest in their licensing scheme.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,129 of 1,924
There are three options.
Any Windows PC can be a Host, and a server. This option is practical but less qualitative than the others.

The two other options are to run on the Host either GentooPlayer OS or AudioLinux OS, configured as a Diretta Host.
They can be both a Host and a server or only a Host, if there are other servers on the LAN.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #1,130 of 1,924
I strongly recommend Logitech Media Server with the DLNA plugin. Works perfectly and sounds great with my RED, and it's free!
By the way are you able to play DSD via the plug in? I can't seems to play DSD/DSF file, while I could using squeezeliteR2.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #1,131 of 1,924
By the way are you able to play DSD via the plug in? I can't seems to play DSD/DSF file, while I could using squeezeliteR2.
I don't know, I don't have any DSD in my library to try. I do believe there is a DSD plugin for LMS tho.

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,132 of 1,924

EDIT: OK I see now. Looks like you need two computers running gentoo player. Very odd how there's more info about it in the g2p manual than on their own website... Looking like I'm going to pass on this. I have no interest in their licensing scheme.
This is my setup.

Gentooplayer 1
-RPI4B as target, connect to USB DAC (prefer good linear power supply) connect to router/switch
enable Diretta target,then select option 2 to buy directta. After restart check system info have directta target process.
-that's it for Target. no need to enable any other player etc. This ensure the endpoint, has min process. you can set to RAM mode and other optimization. (even a 2GB RPI will suffice)

Gentooplayer 2
-RPI4B as local file server(LMS as example here) + SqliteR2/Sqlite endpoint (on same hardware) place else where away from audio equip connect to router/switch
-use a USB drive or USB M.2 drive adaptor (1TB works) connect to RPI. Mount drive.
-LMS (address:9000 to access LMS setup, scan lib, etc)
-install Diretta host (no charge)
-enable Squeezelite-R2 or Squeezelite (set output to directta, target RPI must setup and power up first and connected to a power up DAC before could select)
-I use ipeng as remote control. (don't bother to try other app, this is most user friendly control app for LMS)

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,133 of 1,924
You can run GentooPlayer on a single computer, either as server or an endpoint. You can do it with Diretta or without Diretta.

You need two computers for Diretta, but not forcefully computers who run GentooPlayer. The Host can be a Windows PC. The endpoint can be one of the streamers that Diretta sells, or the Rosanna Diretta Bridge from AfterDark.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #1,134 of 1,924
I know a lot of people are having a hard time finding a Red, recently myself included. I don't actually need one so I'm putting mine up for sale if anyone's interested I figured I'd let this thread know - as I'm going direct connected with my new dac instead now. Absolutely killer streamer/ddc though boys.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,135 of 1,924
Been using for Red with May KTE for 5 months now. Some tips I found that may bring best out of Red:
1. Don't use a stock power cord. Put a better shielded cord.
2. Don't put it on top of DAC. Keep it separated
3. Place it on a hard surface that has vibration absorption like isoacoustics zazan or hard cones like BDR cones. Do not put rubber pads or isoacoustics pucks under it. Sucks out dynamics
4. Red is DDC device, imo. It sounds best that way.
5. Use a short i2s cable if you are using a generic cable. Shorter it is sounded more vibrant to me
6. Get a really good i2s cable. I just got Revelation Audio Labs i2s cable. Bit longer than I like, but sounds very good.

That's all, folks.

Question: i have lot of mqa tracks so i was thinking of putting lumin u2 mini infront red to decode mqa. Anyone using thr u2 mini with red?

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,136 of 1,924
Does anyone have issues with Red and uPNP? I am trying to stream to it from Audirvāna, and the program doesn’t see Red uPNP as an option at all. It does see other uPNP capable devices on the network.
it worked for me. not sure are you running vpn or firewalls? i had some issues but mostly with the remote app. my trial is pratically over. and sice half my system died everything is on the back burner. mono block took out 1 speaker.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,137 of 1,924
it worked for me. not sure are you running vpn or firewalls? i had some issues but mostly with the remote app. my trial is pratically over. and sice half my system died everything is on the back burner. mono block took out 1 speaker.
Not running any VPN or firewalls. I don’t see any disabled UPNP on my router settings. The Red and the computer are both connected to the same switch. All other streaming works fine between the two; it is just UPNP through Audirvāna.

Thanks for your reply, and sorry about the speaker!

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,138 of 1,924
Not running any VPN or firewalls. I don’t see any disabled UPNP on my router settings. The Red and the computer are both connected to the same switch. All other streaming works fine between the two; it is just UPNP through Audirvāna.

Thanks for your reply, and sorry about the speaker!
so it works with other programs?
you can access the webpage from the same pc?

sometimes other software keeps it locked although i believe it should stil be visible.
did you try restarting the red?

thanks crap happens if repair for the amp and speaker is to expensive i might save up for some nearfield monitors. i did get a hd600 jsut to have something i dont have a headphone amp tho. now just going from my simple audio interface.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,139 of 1,924
so it works with other programs?
you can access the webpage from the same pc?

sometimes other software keeps it locked although i believe it should stil be visible.
did you try restarting the red?

thanks crap happens if repair for the amp and speaker is to expensive i might save up for some nearfield monitors. i did get a hd600 jsut to have something i dont have a headphone amp tho. now just going from my simple audio interface.
UPNP doesn’t work through Audirvāna from any computer on the network. I don’t use any other UPNP software. Streaming with Roon and/or HQP, as well as Airplay over network wired or from wireless devices to Red works perfectly.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,140 of 1,924
I was looking at the UPNP plugin settings just now, and it absolutely lists dsf & dsdiff formats... which implies there shouldn't be any issues doing DSD. I still don't have any to test it tho

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back