Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Oct 15, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #631 of 1,324
Only time you might encounter degredation using both outputs is if one of the connected devices was VERY low input impedance.
(Or maybe if one was not grounded properly)

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #632 of 1,324
Yes. If you got an email from Tim at KitsuneHIFI then your unit is effected. Make sure to check spam box that’s where my message was.
Also… to clarify. There was only a very small amount of “May” units affected and all of them addressed. If the customer didn’t reply to me in a few days I reached out by phone to be sure these units were replaced or repaired. So don’t ask me if your May was affected, it was not :wink:
We have a near perfect reliability rate or less than 0.5% failure rate. This issue with the power supply protection circuit was not critical but could affect the unit, so we addressed the issue immediately. Hope this clarifies things. I’ve received dozens emails recently asking if their unit was affected. No no no , don’t worry, you would be one of the lucky few who would know if you had this issue with your May<sarc>
Thankfully everyone was understanding and we got everyone back to enjoying their music again.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #633 of 1,324
Tell me, how much is your holo may heated?
My instance warms up quite strongly, as a class A, A/B amplifier. You won't get a burn from touching, but it's hot enough. Is this normal?
Thanks for the reply.

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #635 of 1,324
Tell me, how much is your holo may heated?
My instance warms up quite strongly, as a class A, A/B amplifier. You won't get a burn from touching, but it's hot enough. Is this normal?
Thanks for the reply.
Totally normal. Mine is pretty warm to the touch. Totally fine for its class A output stage.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #636 of 1,324
Congrats on the May! I bought new, but when power went off a while back, I noticed it took about 24 hours or more to get back to equilibrium. It significantly improved in just a couple of hours. So buying used, I wouldn't expect a long burn in. That's with PCM, haven't used DSD. Original burn in took 1000+ hours for me, but it was well worth it. At a certain point, it just opened up and revealed its inner beauty, so amazing and breathtaking. A year later, I'm still in awe... Just holding out for the Holo Bliss amp...
I haven't got the KTE, but my new May L2 arrived today!
I've been auditioning dealer demos of the Spring 3 KTE and May L2 at home for the past week (thanks to Indie Hi-Fi here in Australia).
After deciding to get the May L2 I boxed up the demo and did comparisons between the Spring3 KTE and my DAC3 for a few days - which both sounded pretty good (without comparing to the May).
After putting the new May into the system, it was immediately apparent that the May is on a different level to those other two dacs.
I first played a favorite Gary Burton album - sounded great to me from the get go and pretty similar to the demo L2 (which I presume had quite some hours on it) - bags of air, delicious decay and timbre.
Will be interesting to see how things progress.
Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 4.33.18 pm.png

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #637 of 1,324
I haven't got the KTE, but my new May L2 arrived today!
I've been auditioning dealer demos of the Spring 3 KTE and May L2 at home for the past week (thanks to Indie Hi-Fi here in Australia).
After deciding to get the May L2 I boxed up the demo and did comparisons between the Spring3 KTE and my DAC3 for a few days - which both sounded pretty good (without comparing to the May).
After putting the new May into the system, it was immediately apparent that the May is on a different level to those other two dacs.
I first played a favorite Gary Burton album - sounded great to me from the get go and pretty similar to the demo L2 (which I presume had quite some hours on it) - bags of air, delicious decay and timbre.
Will be interesting to see how things progress.

I love how you describe "bags of air, delicious decay and timbre"... Like the song goes, You ain't seen nothin' yet! :) May will really open up and become much more holographic in time. The difference between L2 and L3 is minimal I understand. The big difference is in choosing May with its dual mono power supply and processing.

Stellar!

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #638 of 1,324
May will really open up and become much more holographic in time.
Well vocals are already handily better than my DAC3 (and the Spring 3 KTE for that matter) in that regard.
There is a very enticing ease to the May's presentation that makes it so relaxing to listen to - one of the things that distinguishes it from the Spring 3 IMO.
I've mainly been listening via my speakers (sorry Head-Fiers) and the soundstaging is already pretty impressive - maybe not the width of the demo L2 yet.
At the moment I'm using HQPlayer pcm upscaling to 705/768 which is the limit of the uRendu endpoint providing the USB connection.
Using NOS without external upsampling also sounds very good, but HQP tidies up transients and adds precision to focus/layering/depth without messing up the alluring qualities of the May IMO.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #639 of 1,324
Well vocals are already handily better than my DAC3 (and the Spring 3 KTE for that matter) in that regard.
There is a very enticing ease to the May's presentation that makes it so relaxing to listen to - one of the things that distinguishes it from the Spring 3 IMO.
I've mainly been listening via my speakers (sorry Head-Fiers) and the soundstaging is already pretty impressive - maybe not the width of the demo L2 yet.
At the moment I'm using HQPlayer pcm upscaling to 705/768 which is the limit of the uRendu endpoint providing the USB connection.
Using NOS without external upsampling also sounds very good, but HQP tidies up transients and adds precision to focus/layering/depth without messing up the alluring qualities of the May IMO.
Ah, I've upscaled wav files to 32 bit and found it really improved the soundstage and presence. I explored HQPlayer a bit too. I'll dig into those again, but kinda settled on streaming NOS for now, using Holo's Windows driver. It sounds fantastic, and May brings out the best in cans and speakers alike. May's USB is amazing, but at some point I want to build a streamer and port through I2S. So many options to tweak... :)

Oct 26, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #641 of 1,324
Ah, I've upscaled wav files to 32 bit and found it really improved the soundstage and presence. I explored HQPlayer a bit too. I'll dig into those again, but kinda settled on streaming NOS for now, using Holo's Windows driver. It sounds fantastic, and May brings out the best in cans and speakers alike. May's USB is amazing, but at some point I want to build a streamer and port through I2S. So many options to tweak... :)
Not sure about the hows and whys of 32 bit 'upscaling' :thinking: - but I'm on board with the benefits of frequency oversampling as mentioned above.
FWIW here are the HQPlayer filter settings I'm using - I've been mainly doing pcm O/S and use the same filter for both 1x and Nx sources. Per Jussi's recommendation I've set DAC bits to 20.:thumbsup:
Playing around with SDM upsampling to see if I like it more.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 12.13.19 am.png

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #642 of 1,324
May I ask what the consensus is so far on everyone's burn-in? With previous owner 20 + last two days I am approaching 75 total hours.

Cutting out at DSD1024 with 6700k. Still waiting on z790i mobo and 990 Pro ssd to release.
20221024_232359.jpg

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #643 of 1,324
May I ask what the consensus is so far on everyone's burn-in? With previous owner 20 + last two days I am approaching 75 total hours.

Cutting out at DSD1024 with 6700k. Still waiting on z790i mobo and 990 Pro ssd to release.
My experience with the May. I thought it started to sound pretty nice @ 100 hour mark. Stayed pretty much there until about 250 hours. Then it became IMO more harsh. I was kinda surprised by this. Then started improving again at around 350 hours. Then around 500 hours it became magical. Everything opened up, harshness gone and a smoothness developed and the sound stage became sublime. PCM and DSD sections need separate burn in time.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #644 of 1,324
kinda settled on streaming NOS for now
Listening right now to the May in NOS mode, no external O/S, sounds very good and I wouldn't criticise anyone using the May this way.
I know the technical arguments against pure NOS, it shouldn't sound good but it does.:thinking:

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #645 of 1,324
For folks that have upgraded from the Spring 3 KTE to the May, is the price increase worth it? I've decided to sell my tube amp since I haven't had as much time to listen to my desktop setup in general, so pairing down my setup to just the absolute "must haves" and moving forward with my Ferrum stack instead. I love love love my Spring 3 KTE. I didn't realize until recently that the May has native Oversampling, which the Spring series does not. I don't use HQPlayer so I'm only using NOS right now. I like the idea of being able to do Oversampling & NOS on the unit itself but obviously the cost is 2x Spring 3 KTE roughly so wanted to get opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back