Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #601 of 1,320
Welp. Looks like I’ll be joining team Holo May KTE soon.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #602 of 1,320
Welp. Looks like I’ll be joining team Holo May KTE soon.
Congrats! There are snaked oils and oiled snakes, but May will drink the oil and eat the snake.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #604 of 1,320
May KTE arrived Thursday and I’ve been putting it through its paces. Started to improve around the 24 hour mark.

For those of you who bought 2nd hand how long did it take to get back to optimal operating state if it was already burned in (and would there be a separate burn in period for PCM & DSD since it uses separate ladders. Original owner did not play much DSD while he owned it)

F5E926D0-8995-44DB-80C0-B3ED2028AEEB.jpeg
AD251574-D0D2-4F47-B357-23F577A1FF03.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #605 of 1,320
May KTE arrived Thursday and I’ve been putting it through its paces. Started to improve around the 24 hour mark.

For those of you who bought 2nd hand how long did it take to get back to optimal operating state if it was already burned in (and would there be a separate burn in period for PCM & DSD since it uses separate ladders. Original owner did not play much DSD while he owned it)
Congrats on the May! I bought new, but when power went off a while back, I noticed it took about 24 hours or more to get back to equilibrium. It significantly improved in just a couple of hours. So buying used, I wouldn't expect a long burn in. That's with PCM, haven't used DSD. Original burn in took 1000+ hours for me, but it was well worth it. At a certain point, it just opened up and revealed its inner beauty, so amazing and breathtaking. A year later, I'm still in awe... Just holding out for the Holo Bliss amp...

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #606 of 1,320
Congrats on the May! I bought new, but when power went off a while back, I noticed it took about 24 hours or more to get back to equilibrium. It significantly improved in just a couple of hours. So buying used, I wouldn't expect a long burn in. That's with PCM, haven't used DSD. Original burn in took 1000+ hours for me, but it was well worth it. At a certain point, it just opened up and revealed its inner beauty, so amazing and breathtaking. A year later, I'm still in awe... Just holding out for the Holo Bliss amp...
Love hearing stories of long term love for the May. I just got email confirmation from KTE that I’m next in line for shipment and should be about a week or so out before I get delivery. Excited as if it were Christmas.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #608 of 1,320
Just got notice from Tim that some May KTE models recently shipped including mine have a wrong part in the dc surge protection circuit that could damage the power supply. Part was miss marked by the vendor by accident. He advised to turn the unit off and un plug from the outlet. They will be shipping out a replacement DAC chassis sometime next week. I was just getting close to the break in 500 hour mark.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #609 of 1,320
Just got notice from Tim that some May KTE models recently shipped including mine have a wrong part in the dc surge protection circuit that could damage the power supply. Part was miss marked by the vendor by accident. He advised to turn the unit off and un plug from the outlet. They will be shipping out a replacement DAC chassis sometime next week. I was just getting close to the break in 500 hour mark.

I’m guessing the only units affected were from a recent batch?

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #611 of 1,320
Love hearing stories of long term love for the May. I just got email confirmation from KTE that I’m next in line for shipment and should be about a week or so out before I get delivery. Excited as if it were Christmas.
Congrats on the May, and I share your excitement! Seems burn in may vary, but I've found it just gets better with time. It checks most of my boxes with an analogue sound, amazing soundstage, with super sharp and clear instruments. I dunno if you've caught New Record Day's May review on YouKnowWhoTube, but I think his analogy with the little blue ornament is completely spot on and nails this quality of May. I can picture each instrument and vocalist, it's placement in the room, and everything is sharp and clear. I can focus on any one sound in that room and easily move my focus around the room. It's pretty amazing, and what keeps me loving May. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions once you get it setup or want to chat further... Just give it time, and it will show its true colors.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #612 of 1,320

Hi! I had exactly the same situation: bought used and the previous owner hadn't used DSD. I was thinking the same thing. To me it sounded sublime from the beginning and it still does. My gut feeling is that the effect from burning in just one side of the PCM/DSD duo isn't that big alone, but it's also not completely a fair fight because in the beginning the "honey moon effect" was kicking my socks off. However, I did keep the DSD side working 24h a day until some 100h mark "just to be sure" and just called it a day. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you are disappointed somehow. If you are, then I would let it do some number crunching 24/7 for a week (or month?) before doing any final judgement.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #613 of 1,320
Hi! I had exactly the same situation: bought used and the previous owner hadn't used DSD. I was thinking the same thing. To me it sounded sublime from the beginning and it still does. My gut feeling is that the effect from burning in just one side of the PCM/DSD duo isn't that big alone, but it's also not completely a fair fight because in the beginning the "honey moon effect" was kicking my socks off. However, I did keep the DSD side working 24h a day until some 100h mark "just to be sure" and just called it a day. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you are disappointed somehow. If you are, then I would let it do some number crunching 24/7 for a week (or month?) before doing any final judgement.

Definitely not disappointed. Just trying to understand if there is a separate burn in. My gut is telling me yes. I did two separate burn ins on the Pontus II. Made a noticeable difference on PCM, little to no effect on DSD.

To complicate matters I had a loss of power the other day so it shut down, I’ve been alternating PCM and DSD to get back to optimal state since then. I’m holding off any judgements for awhile but already love it and it’s continuing to get better day by day.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #614 of 1,320
On the other hand this can also be proof that burn in phase is not just components but also brain burn in. Maybe no?

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #615 of 1,320
On the other hand this can also be proof that burn in phase is not just components but also brain burn in. Maybe no?
That was kind of in between the lines, yes. And I think it's very hard to do any burn-in comparisons by ears. I've found that if there is >10s between the samples, at least my brain tends to "forget" what it sounded like. If the frequency is one sample per day, I think I think I'm throwing science out of the window. Especially as one can repeat the process only once per item.

However, something I think I may be hearing: warm up time. That again can also be some kind of brain adjustment, but I've now noticed this multiple times and I think May sounds much better after one or two hours of warm up :) However, everything always sound better to me late at night when it has warmed up...

Users who are viewing this thread

• dkar
Back