Holo Audio Bliss
Feb 16, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,412 of 3,298
For my 300 Ohm dynamic headphones (HD600, HD800S, Verite Open, Verite Closed) I use the Hi-Z. Seems to make a small difference, nothing dramatic.
Its basically the same as variable output impedamce on tube amps, just with a tiny increment in comparison. Works well with sharp headphones to relax them a bit (usually blunts the treble bite and injects a bit of warmth but each driver reacts differently). For Susvara it just adds mud, but for example for TC if you have a sharpish DAC it can be a track saver for tracks with treble issues. Same for Utopia. It's a small difference but matters a lot for sharp cans.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #1,413 of 3,298
For the sake of completness of comparing Ferrum and Bliss after another few days of burn in and intense listening I can add some objective and subjective differences :

1. Ferrum has upper mids / lower treble filled in, it is a bit sharper and more full in this region (where snap of snare is, lower pitched cymbals etc.), and Bliss has a dip in this region.
2. Ferrum in general sounds sharper and faster, but it makes it also a bit more clinical and less relaxed.
3. This makes the Bliss sound wider and more "stereo", while imaging on Ferrum is more in front (you could say more correct, having a dip in around 2k region is a well known psychoacoustic trick to make the stage seem wider)
4. In general Bliss staging is a lot wider and more to the sides ... which can make it less coherent or even borderline blurry in comparison, Ferrum stays sharp in front with perfect imaging, but significantly smaller stage and less "organic" sound.
5. That also makes bliss lose some of the small details in and around 2k region, like distant pianos are less discernible in comparison with Ferrum, Ferrum pulls a lot more detail to the foreground especially in midrange and treble.
6. I think Ferrum fills in this 2k region on purpose bc Susvara (and other HiFiMans) have a dip in this region and they are going for "all the facts" presentation, but without fatigue etc. Ferrum is a fairly relaxed sounding amp, but Bliss in comparison is another level of sounding relaxed.

So if you're after ultimate details and clarity, Ferrum is your guy. If you're after more immersive sound with bigger, wider stage and relaxed sound ... but you don't mind losing some details and speed .... Bliss is your guy.

The funny thing is, that both Ferrum and Bliss apparently are tuned for Susvara, but both are really different, and while I can see how Ferrum fills in Susvaras deficiencies making it even more "true to life" and maximises resolution, Bliss goes kinda the other way and makes Susvara sound even softer, even bigger ... bass for me is more less in the same league on both ...

... and the funny thing about it is that those qualities make Bliss the perfect amp for TC by accident it seems 😂

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #1,414 of 3,298
For the sake of completness of comparing Ferrum and Bliss after another few days of burn in and intense listening I can add some objective and subjective differences :

1. Ferrum has upper mids / lower treble filled in, it is a bit sharper and more full in this region (where snap of snare is, lower pitched cymbals etc.), and Bliss has a dip in this region.
2. Ferrum in general sounds sharper and faster, but it makes it also a bit more clinical and less relaxed.
3. This makes the Bliss sound wider and more "stereo", while imaging on Ferrum is more in front (you could say more correct, having a dip in around 2k region is a well known psychoacoustic trick to make the stage seem wider)
4. In general Bliss staging is a lot wider and more to the sides ... which can make it less coherent or even borderline blurry in comparison, Ferrum stays sharp in front with perfect imaging, but significantly smaller stage and less "organic" sound.
5. That also makes bliss lose some of the small details in and around 2k region, like distant pianos are less discernible in comparison with Ferrum, Ferrum pulls a lot more detail to the foreground especially in midrange and treble.
6. I think Ferrum fills in this 2k region on purpose bc Susvara (and other HiFiMans) have a dip in this region and they are going for "all the facts" presentation, but without fatigue etc. Ferrum is a fairly relaxed sounding amp, but Bliss in comparison is another level of sounding relaxed.

So if you're after ultimate details and clarity, Ferrum is your guy. If you're after more immersive sound with bigger, wider stage and relaxed sound ... but you don't mind losing some details and speed .... Bliss is your guy.

The funny thing is, that both Ferrum and Bliss apparently are tuned for Susvara, but both are really different, and while I can see how Ferrum fills in Susvaras deficiencies making it even more "true to life" and maximises resolution, Bliss goes kinda the other way and makes Susvara sound even softer, even bigger ... bass for me is more less in the same league on both ...

... and the funny thing about it is that those qualities make Bliss the perfect amp for TC by accident it seems 😂
Excellent comparison 👍.

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #1,416 of 3,298

Thank you. My experience and perception comparing Ferrum Oor+Hypsos and Bliss with the LCD-5 is exactly the other way round - details, clarity and transparency is Bliss, relaxed bigger sound (but smaller soundstage) is Ferrum. I‘m selling Ferrum stack and keeping Bliss.

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #1,417 of 3,298
Thank you. My experience and perception comparing Ferrum Oor+Hypsos and Bliss with the LCD-5 is exactly the other way round - details, clarity and transparency is Bliss, relaxed bigger sound (but smaller soundstage) is Ferrum. I‘m selling Ferrum stack and keeping Bliss.
Are you using any power conditioning in your system or straight to the wall?

I see you also have May, when you swap Bliss for Ferrum, don't you get sharper mids and treble on Ferrum than on Bliss?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,418 of 3,298

From your comparison it looks like Bliss is wrong way for me from Niimbus US4+, I did compare Ferrum to Niimbus for week and for me Niimbus has more details, a bit better bas and bigger sound stage, not big difference especially in power amp setup On Ferrum.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #1,419 of 3,298
Are you using any power conditioning in your system or straight to the wall?
Bliss goes straight to the wall (as the Ferrum stack did), May goes through a moderate line filter (MFE DF1+). In addition I have all other devices in the room connected to filters and iFi Power X where possible, to avoid them incluencing the audio chain's power.
I see you also have May, when you swap Bliss for Ferrum, don't you get sharper mids and treble on Ferrum than on Bliss?
No, with LCD-5 for me it was/is the other way round - I firstly was annoyed with sharper treble (I'd say around 5-8khZ maybe) with Ferrum, but my brain and hearing have adjusted to that now and I greatly prefer the overall presentation with Bliss.

I think I should add that I use Mitch Barnett's correction filter for the LCD-5, so its FR curve is rather linear instead of Harman, which I greatly prefer.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #1,420 of 3,298
I think I should add that I use Mitch Barnett's correction filter for the LCD-5, so its FR curve is rather linear instead of Harman, which I greatly prefer.
LCD-5s base tuning is certainly not following the Harman curve.
Where did you get that from?

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,421 of 3,298
Bliss goes straight to the wall (as the Ferrum stack did), May goes through a moderate line filter (MFE DF1+). In addition I have all other devices in the room connected to filters and iFi Power X where possible, to avoid them incluencing the audio chain's power.

No, with LCD-5 for me it was/is the other way round - I firstly was annoyed with sharper treble (I'd say around 5-8khZ maybe) with Ferrum, but my brain and hearing have adjusted to that now and I greatly prefer the overall presentation with Bliss.

Interesting, I'm using power conditioning now, which may also be a factor. From the wall Ferrum is a bit softer, and Bliss has more bite, but the downside is that Ferrum also has a bit less clarity from the wall, and Bliss has more clarity but also quite a bit more distortion and loses a lot of the space / air between instruments.

So quite a few factors at play. Did you say Bliss has a peak you had to get used to? If so maybe it's the LCD5 pairing, for me Bliss is as smooth as I can imagine sound being, maybe with a couple of dips rather than peaks. Ferrum definitely has a slight upper mids lower treble elevation though and a bit of sharpness in that area for me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #1,422 of 3,298
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #1,423 of 3,298
Did you say Bliss has a peak you had to get used to? If so maybe it's the LCD5 pairing
Yes, I did. To clarify that and get some more insight whether the overal presentation including the whole chain now still is mostly linear, I intend to do some measurements with my Sound Professional MS-TFB-2 when I find the time.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,424 of 3,298
Yes, I did. To clarify that and get some more insight whether the overal presentation including the whole chain now still is mostly linear, I intend to do some measurements with my Sound Professional MS-TFB-2 when I find the time.
Interesting as well, for me Bliss burned in a lot. It had rather uneven presentation through the first say 20h with dips and peaks, but evened out a lot. So maybe your peak actually reduced with burn in ...

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,425 of 3,298
Interesting as well, for me Bliss burned in a lot. It had rather uneven presentation through the first say 20h with dips and peaks, but evened out a lot. So maybe your peak actually reduced with burn in ...
It did, but I believe the burn in rather happened between my ears :wink: Have found repeatedly that I need some time to get used and adjusted to changes in my audio chain when I swapped out components, happened also with pre-owned and well used equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back