HM-901
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,281 of 3,522
Need help. Player still stutters after I reformatted my 32 GB Sandisk SD from exFat to FAT32. I even used another card in case the one I was using was damaged. The card is a fast one (UH-1?). I had it because I used it in my DSLR which does take advantage of the speed. Could it be that HM 901 has trouble with these cards and I should use the slower ones? I removed all embedded artwork since it does not show anyway. I deleted all tags except the basic ones like album, album artist etc. I waited until the scanning icon on the top right disappeared and then gave it 10 more minutes. The tags are in ID3v1.

Note: it does seem to have more issues with 24/192 and 24/176 so I am suspecting the HW/FW has trouble handling hi res flac but then I would think the earlier users would have already reported this.

Any other things I should try? Delete all tags and use folder navigation? Redo the tags based on some tested method by current users?

Or do I just have a defective unit?

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,282 of 3,522
I found after wasting quite a bit of money on SD cards that formatting them multiple times using different format just make them error-prone. You also have to make sure you use a decent SDXC compatible reader and avoid using Windows' integrated format tool.
Now, I just never format them and have since stopped having issues. 

Lots of important informations and tools on that site: https://www.sdcard.org/

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2,283 of 3,522
New theory (too much time trying things out). It now seems that if I play an album from start to finish it is ok. I can then pick another album, start play and again it is ok.

What I often do is select to play all songs in random order and that is when I get problems. I think in this mode once the next song is in a different resolution (eg play 24/96 followed by 16/44 as example) the player gets confused and starts stuttering (probably not detecting and adjusting to the new resolution). I need more testing though to confirm this is repeatable.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,284 of 3,522
I don't know why so many people are having problems. Grant it the new software takes time to turn on, but I never have a problem of the unit reading WAV or Flac 24/96 or 24/192. I am only using a 32 GB Sand Disk SD card.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,285 of 3,522
I don't know why so many people are having problems. Grant it the new software takes time to turn on, but I never have a problem of the unit reading WAV or Flac 24/96 or 24/192. I am only using a 32 GB Sand Disk SD card.

Any tips on:
1- what SD card brand do you use?
2- how is formatted?
3- how do you arrange songs/folders?
4- any rules you follow with tags?
5- how long do you wait to start playing after start up? Is it enough to wait until spinning wheel in top right disappears?
6- do you use mode to play all so songs in random order where you have different resolution files and still have no issues?

Sorry about all the questions but I would like to keep the player but I need it to do its basic function well. I don't care about slow UI or album art issues.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,286 of 3,522
I haven't had issues when just playing tracks in the same folder, except if there's too many tracks (6CD album).

Tags are Artist, Album, Track Name, Track No., Disk No., Genre, Year, Comment, embedded cover art.

I just let is start scanning for half a minute, then I use SD card > folder browsing.

Only Artist and file name is shown in Now Playing, however, but this is how it is so far.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,288 of 3,522
Just pre-ordered the 901 dock from ACGears with the $25 in points i had :) Anyone have info on the release date for it yet?

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,291 of 3,522
Just pre-ordered the 901 dock from ACGears with the $25 in points i had :) Anyone have info on the release date for it yet?

Hi , i read the ACGears product page and the description seems to talk about the 901 itself rather than what the dock does... Can you let me know what additional feature I will get from this dock? It seems to be discussed and in demand for 901 owners...

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,292 of 3,522
Hi , i read the ACGears product page and the description seems to talk about the 901 itself rather than what the dock does... Can you let me know what additional feature I will get from this dock? It seems to be discussed and in demand for 901 owners...

I saw the page here: http://www.acgears.com/sound/amplifiers/hifiman-hm901-dock

It does specifically refer to the dock at $299.  This is pretty weird as it wasn't even being discussed in erji or any chinese forums.  And also not available at Hifiman's taobao store front, not their dealer in Hong Kong.

When they unveiled their new HM 802, it triggered some discussion speculating there would be a higher chance now to see the dock as 802 uses the same form as 901.  It was speculated before that the 901 sales were not high enough for Fang to invest in making the dock..... but of course these are all internet forum speculations.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,293 of 3,522

I saw the page here: http://www.acgears.com/sound/amplifiers/hifiman-hm901-dock

It does specifically refer to the dock at $299.  This is pretty weird as it wasn't even being discussed in erji or any chinese forums.  And also not available at Hifiman's taobao store front, not their dealer in Hong Kong.

When they unveiled their new HM 802, it triggered some discussion speculating there would be a higher chance now to see the dock as 802 uses the same form as 901.  It was speculated before that the 901 sales were not high enough for Fang to invest in making the dock..... but of course these are all internet forum speculations.

Hmm, that's interesting. I can't imagine Hifiman not making the dock if there is already pre-orders for the dock since the launch of the 901 (in US atleast). That would be really bad business practice if in fact they don't go through with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back