HM-901
Aug 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,892 of 3,522
Hi guys, 

its me again. I got the balanced card and re600 from hifiman. It shipped real fast. Got a new problem now which i think is strange. The HM901 would play for 3-4 songs and then shut itself down. I try holding on the power button but it wouldn't turn on. I take out the battery and put it back in, it wouldn't turn on. It would only turn on after i return home and plug the charger in. Mind you, its only 3 - 4 songs and the charging is about 30-40 minutes each time. I have a feeling that when my standard amp card got fried previously, it brought along the battery to the grave which i certainly hope isn't the case. 

Anyone surfaces such an issue of the unit shutting down randomly and not being able to switch it on?

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,893 of 3,522
1) NOOOOOOOOO
2) YES, or a radio
3) YES, and you can tell her you bought it from some old man's yard sale for $10 because you are a nice person.

But it is built well (feel solid and substantial in hand) and scratch resistant that you don't need to "handle with care"....  But its... em.... unique aesthetics... was a big hurdle for me to overcame when I finally purchased it.  

If you ask me it's got 1970's James Bond written all over it. I'm diggin the retro vibe!

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,894 of 3,522
I le
Hi guys, 

its me again. I got the balanced card and re600 from hifiman. It shipped real fast. Got a new problem now which i think is strange. The HM901 would play for 3-4 songs and then shut itself down. I try holding on the power button but it wouldn't turn on. I take out the battery and put it back in, it wouldn't turn on. It would only turn on after i return home and plug the charger in. Mind you, its only 3 - 4 songs and the charging is about 30-40 minutes each time. I have a feeling that when my standard amp card got fried previously, it brought along the battery to the grave which i certainly hope isn't the case. 

Anyone surfaces such an issue of the unit shutting down randomly and not being able to switch it on?

I left my 901 charging for about 20 hours one time accidently and the 901 was flat when I went to turn it on. Charger almost too hot to touch also. But fine after charging for 5 hours again.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,895 of 3,522
My battery doesn't seem to be charging properly either left it on for about 10 hrs at a time lasts about an hour or more or else its on for about ten mins an just shuts off,plus I'm afraid the charger will catch on fire I know it gets hot but not like boiling water hot.. My balanced card is on route after my 901 sounded like an I pod mini first gen

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #1,896 of 3,522
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,897 of 3,522
Hi guys, 

Does your 901 still get extremely hot like the time it fried your standard amp card?

Looks like there is something else going on with your 901. Maybe the battery is releasing too much power which is why your previous amp card got fried?

Best to get in touch with Hifiman support on this. Probably time to get a replacement unit

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,898 of 3,522
Quote:
When I received my HM901 I was surprised for "how small it is"... I mean I was expecting to be larger. Somebody said that it's like 3 iphone 4 stacked and I agree that it's s good reference about size. Also it's pretty like a square, it's not ugly it's "X", nobody has ask me with curiosity 'what it is' like happens often with my Galaxy Note 2 with extended battery that looks larger than the hm901. When I have the hm901 in my hand I feel like holding something serious, that doesn't shout "look at me" and I like that.

Yes, I love that too, I really don't want to draw attention to myself with this player out in public...

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,899 of 3,522
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,900 of 3,522
Aug 31, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #1,901 of 3,522
I swapped out the standard amp for the balanced amp as soon as I had my 901 unpacked. I have been very pleased with the sound, but I have been using the amp w. only SE IEMs. I had assumed the 901 when switched to SE using the balanced amp would consume about the same power as the IEM amp with only half the op-amps under load.

After reading a post that someone was getting longer battery life with the IEM amp over the balanced amp, I decided to go for the 20% discount and free shipping special that has been offered while the standard amp has been pulled from circulation. I haven't taken the time to measure the extended play time, but my 901 with the IEM amp is running significantly cooler than with the balanced amp. I very much like the lower temperature which I'm sure will be commensurate with longer play times and reduced battery degradation. I'm not noticing any difference in sound quality, so the IEM amp has significant benefits over the balanced amp if you don't plan on running balanced.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #1,903 of 3,522
Yes didn't receive my screen protector either but that's no big deal and my unit was definitely out of it's anti static package before. Looking forward to the balanced card now and upgrade headphone cable from moon audio for my HD 600,s.. laughing at the comment about the gym it's the type of device you can't leave out of your hand but probably a bit bulky for your pocket I'd still try it however!

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #1,904 of 3,522
Ok after a second try, I think I found the perfect case for my 901 (and many other things). It is a Moleskine water repellent small shell:

http://store.moleskine.com/en/shell-small-2253.html#249=7

The small shell fit the 901 perfectly:

And the extra-small shell accomodates CIEMs perfectly:

The small shell even has a hole for earphones (with the 901, it will fit only with a right angle jack I think).

The extra-small shell can also fit an AK100, AK120 or Tera...pictures in the appropriate threads.

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,905 of 3,522
Nice find! By the looks of it, seems perfect for the 901! Also has the adjustable strap to latch on to your bag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back