HM-901
May 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #871 of 3,522
Quote:
Thank you gentlemen.  I think I'll stick with my 801/JH16 for a while longer.  Off topic, but I haven't been following the JH16 development and was not aware of "'new" JH16s.  Is this just a newer batch that turned out to have a different sound signature?

It's the Freqphase version of JH16. Here's the link. http://www.jhaudio.com/collection/freqphase

May 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #875 of 3,522
^^ Just use the "Block Member" function. I did 
tongue.gif

May 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #877 of 3,522
May 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #879 of 3,522
Quote:
Quote:
And what's the point in doing that modd?
Please explain.

ummm....even before the 'point'.....What the frick IS the mod???

Oh I get it....it's just to-be-the-first to fieldstrip it into pieces. ;-(

Some people just gotta do that with everything they own....

shall we say Made in Taiwan? ha ha

May 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #880 of 3,522
Yeah, just blocked him as well, fed up with reading Taiwan is a country on Earth when everyone knows full well it is from Xron 9 a distant planet in the shiny 5 galaxy just past Uranus :D

May 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #882 of 3,522
The volume nob on hm901 is terrible... It only goes by half a whole digit, 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 for instance, as apposed to the actual mark on it, which is kindalame...
I found my JH16 too loud on1 while being not loud enough on 0.5 o_O

May 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #884 of 3,522
Quote:
The volume nob on hm901 is terrible... It only goes by half a whole digit, 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 for instance, as apposed to the actual mark on it, which is kindalame...
I found my JH16 too loud on1 while being not loud enough on 0.5 o_O

This is unfortunate but it makes sense, since the HM-901 volume control is not a potentiometer in the conventional sense - instead, it is a stepped attenuator.

However, I would personally still prefer an ALPS potentiometer (size notwithstanding).

I'm still keen to hear the HM-901, when (if) it is eventually released internationally, but it does seem as though it might have fallen at the final hurdle, in terms of it's industrial design execution, judging by reports of failing buttons etc.

The mid-level hi-fi DAP marketplace is very rapidly heating up, thanks to Fiio (X5), iBasso (D-50) etc., and this will very likely increase further in the coming year or 2, and these will be nipping at the heels of the top-end DAPs. The top-end flagship statement DAPs (DX100, HM-901 etc.  <AK120 does not count as top-end, since it's primarily an exercise in marketing greed, rather than engineering substance>) will need to be executed very successfully or people will instead buy the best of the mid-level hi-fi DAPs.

I hope HiFiMan manage to overcome the problems with HM-901 buttons etc. and bring it successfully to the international market. I'm a fan of the DX100, sound quality-wise, and therefore I respect the HM-901 for (apparently) competing well, SQ-wise, with it. I would like the chance to experience it.

May 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #885 of 3,522
Quote:

This is unfortunate but it makes sense, since the HM-901 volume control is not a potentiometer in the conventional sense - instead, it is a stepped attenuator.

However, I would personally still prefer an ALPS potentiometer (size notwithstanding).

I'm still keen to hear the HM-901, when (if) it is eventually released internationally, but it does seem as though it might have fallen at the final hurdle, in terms of it's industrial design execution, judging by reports of failing buttons etc.

The mid-level hi-fi DAP marketplace is very rapidly heating up, thanks to Fiio (X5), iBasso (D-50) etc., and this will very likely increase further in the coming year or 2, and these will be nipping at the heels of the top-end DAPs. The top-end flagship statement DAPs (DX100, HM-901 etc.  <AK120 does not count as top-end, since it's primarily an exercise in marketing greed, rather than engineering substance>) will need to be executed very successfully or people will instead buy the best of the mid-level hi-fi DAPs.

I hope HiFiMan manage to overcome the problems with HM-901 buttons etc. and bring it successfully to the international market. I'm a fan of the DX100, sound quality-wise, and therefore I respect the HM-901 for (apparently) competing well, SQ-wise, with it. I would like the chance to experience it.

Well said.
I am fortunate enough to acquire one before releasing in the U.S. and I must say it is incredible SQ wise. So far the best portable device I have ever heard (out of colorfly C4, DX100, AK100, IPC+SOLO+ various amps).
The build quality is not as bad as one would thought, at least to me it does not impact my daily usage aside from the volume control issue with my JH16, that being said, I am satisfied with this device overall. It definitely worth the extra couple hundred bucks compare to the DX100.
BTW, my DX100 is officially on sale now : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back