HM-901
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,088 of 3,522
  The balanced amp card is already great, so I think it is a waste to use an outside amp, because the rig would be huge. If you want to use an external amplifier, then get a RWAK120-S.

Best thing is to try it out for yerself...

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #2,090 of 3,522
  The balanced amp card is already great, so I think it is a waste to use an outside amp, because the rig would be huge. If you want to use an external amplifier, then get a RWAK120-S.

Agree. To me the point with HM-801 / HM-901 / DX100 / HDP-R10 is that it's a one-box solution. It may be bigger than other DAPs, but then you don't have to bring an extra DAC-amp or even both a DAC and an amp in addition to the DAP in order to get that high performance.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #2,091 of 3,522
Well I got my balanced amp card yesterday. Wow! What an enchancment to an already fantastic sounding player! All the transients are so punchy and strong, the bass is deep, rich and full of life. The sounds of different instruments are so clearly defined like they have been painted with a fine brush and steady hand. It's absolutely beautiful in my opinion. It has unlocked the full potential of my Sennheiser HD650 and I think I'm pretty happy with this setup now for quite some time. I have the RE600 too but to be honest with the HD650 there, there's no point. The RE600 just doesn't have enough bass for my ears. Now just to get the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for the HD650 (when i can afford it) and my wallet can rest for a while.

Unless anyone knows of a better cable for the HD650?

In Sonic Heaven..... (When the UI is working as it should hahha)

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2,092 of 3,522
Well I got my balanced amp card yesterday. Wow! What an enchancment to an already fantastic sounding player! All the transients are so punchy and strong, the bass is deep, rich and full of life. The sounds of different instruments are so clearly defined like they have been painted with a fine brush and steady hand. It's absolutely beautiful in my opinion. It has unlocked the full potential of my Sennheiser HD650 and I think I'm pretty happy with this setup now for quite some time. I have the RE600 too but to be honest with the HD650 there, there's no point. The RE600 just doesn't have enough bass for my ears. Now just to get the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for the HD650 (when i can afford it) and my wallet can rest for a while.

Unless anyone knows of a better cable for the HD650?

In Sonic Heaven..... (When the UI is working as it should hahha)

DHC and Whiplash? haha 

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #2,094 of 3,522
Can anyone send me a link to any great balanced TRRS replacement cables for the HD650? I can't seem to find much in that department.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=3vtmvmpfjkfs7pk6561es2c8j3

The different headphone cables can be made with whatever termination you want - including Sennheiser HD650 to TRRS.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #2,095 of 3,522
I got my balanced card last week. Iam not by any stretch of the imagination the most analytical audiophile you will meet. My 901 has a problem driving my HD 600,S with any real verve. Ok it certainly goes loud enough but it's can't seem to drive my headphones with any real verve quite simply there is not enough bass, I have been told the 650,s are an easier can to drive. I would certainly recommend the moon audio blue dragon cable great value and a definite improvement over the stock cable.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,096 of 3,522
Thanks these cables look great!

Still a bit confused with the balanced cable variables though.

So if you have a TRRS fitted to one of these double helix cables, does that offer any benefit as the HD650 still remains an unbalanced headphone.

So if that is the case, does the TRRS plug make the Double helix cable a balanced cable suitable for balanced mode on the HM901 or will I get the same kind of performance from a normal "Unbalanced" cable such as the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3? which really does sound like a worthy investment.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,097 of 3,522
I got my balanced card last week. Iam not by any stretch of the imagination the most analytical audiophile you will meet. My 901 has a problem driving my HD 600,S with any real verve. Ok it certainly goes loud enough but it's can't seem to drive my headphones with any real verve quite simply there is not enough bass, I have been told the 650,s are an easier can to drive. I would certainly recommend the moon audio blue dragon cable great value and a definite improvement over the stock cable.

I think you should get your hands on the HD650 for a listen!

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,098 of 3,522
I bought mine from Charleston Cable.  Christopher made my set ending in a standard 4 pin xlr and then made me a 4 pin xlr to 3.5mm TRRS pig tail.  That way I have one cable with more options.
I also have a moon audio silver dragon that ends in a 3.5mm trs.
Both are great cables but in balanced mode the difference is still noticeable.
All the benefits of balanced are clear and present and volume is increased.

I have a set of HD 580's with HD 600 metal backs, they are harder to drive VS the 650 so to the poster that asked, listen to the 650 for sure.  Good thing is that cables fit both.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2,099 of 3,522
I'm not sure if this has been asked before. I'm looking for a 3-pin male TRS to a 4-pin female TRRS adapter. Does anyone know where I can find one?

I have an IEM cable terminated to TRRS, but i want to be able to use it still with single ended sources.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,100 of 3,522
I'm not sure if this has been asked before. I'm looking for a 3-pin male TRS to a 4-pin female TRRS adapter. Does anyone know where I can find one?

I have an IEM cable terminated to TRRS, but i want to be able to use it still with single ended sources.

Thanks!

Someone had mentioned Charleston Cable and Double Helix may be able to do them for you, possibly Redco Audio too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back