History of the AKG K1000?
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #361 of 392
Did built some new pads for my bass heavy K1000. For me it looks good and is more comfortable.
IMG_4142.JPEG
IMG_4146.JPEG

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #363 of 392
I belief the english word is sponge rubber 10mm. You can try different thickness and stiffness.

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #364 of 392
ok, I give up...

could someone please recommend me a technically perfect substitute material ("same" acoustic properties) for the virtually unobtainable 80ppi :rage: reticulated polyurethane foam with open cellular structure?

Not without fear, I decided to disassemble one of my very low serial number K1000 BH units (both have the well-known rattle problem) and the foam was completely degraded, I just touched it with tweezers and the place where it was touched magically turned to dust. I removed what was left and the membrane cavity was really " seasoned" with polyurethane powder. I cleaned it thoroughly and it is ready to receive the new material.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #365 of 392
ok, I give up...

could someone please recommend me a technically perfect substitute material ("same" acoustic properties) for the virtually unobtainable 80ppi :rage: reticulated polyurethane foam with open cellular structure?

Not without fear, I decided to disassemble one of my very low serial number K1000 BH units (both have the well-known rattle problem) and the foam was completely degraded, I just touched it with tweezers and the place where it was touched magically turned to dust. I removed what was left and the membrane cavity was really " seasoned" with polyurethane powder. I cleaned it thoroughly and it is ready to receive the new material.
Maybe @hrklg01 can help out with a pointer to replacement foam?

Jun 21, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #370 of 392
Gut geeignet ist auch ein standardmäßiger, vollständig offener PU-Schaum mit 80 Poren pro Zoll und einer Dicke von 10 mm.
Thank you, Herr Renner and other members who tried to help,

but...

"standardmäßiger", "standard", means not reticulated? The whole difficulty is in obtaining 80ppi foam, reticulated or not.

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #373 of 392
Here is a source
Thank you,

I contacted them the day before yesterday, but they told me they don't ship to other countries.

I would buy that amount of material with no problem if they shipped to Brazil, and I would experiment with my Stax Sigma units, replacing that wool just for the pleasure of experimenting, but it wasn't possible. I'm still looking for

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #374 of 392
I’ll buy a K1000 rehab sized worth. Or even a double portion. If there is a group buy, count me in and send PM.

In the past I have tried to source different items where only large quantities were available. A group buy, as you mentioned is certainly one possibility. Another would be to see if a supplier has scraps or samples available. As the K1000 application does not require much, it's worth a try.

I'll see what I come up with and post my result(s). I have two sets of K1000's of my own to maintain.

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #375 of 392
"standardmäßiger", "standard", means not reticulated? The whole difficulty is in obtaining 80ppi foam, reticulated or not.
What do you mean it is difficult to buy it? It is even available on Ebay and can be shipped to Brazil. Just search "80 ppi foam", and cut a peace of the size you want yourself.
You can also use felt instead of the foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back