History of the AKG K1000?
Sep 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #211 of 392
Hello,
Do not know by hard. But heard that it was 4 series of the K1000 each of them 1000pcs...
Best regards, Heinz

4 series ,each 1000 pcs ?
are you sure ?

Before you said:

"About "bass heavy" and "bass light" versions: I remember back that the original ~ 5000 pcs was shipped with a black bright box. This version - I'm sure - was produced with the target 25Hz f0. There was no additional changes at least during the first 5kpcs... Later I do not know clearly because of my leave from AKG. To repair of a K1000: As Karl wrote, a K1000 driver last for long time. However, the foam placed inside the center of the driver migh age... It..."

or

"Thank you for your inuts.
I know just, that the "first gen" was planned for 10k pcs. At least for these first series I guess that the frequency response should be much more linear."

???

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #214 of 392
OOUCH!!!!!

SORRY to all!

In my last replay about produced volumes per production lot I made a typo.
Instead 1000pcs it should be 10000pcs.

Another topic is, that I had a call with another colleage who left AKG much later than me, he said it was only 4 batches. This would mean 40000pcs in total.

But may be the company did later another batch - sorry I do not know.

BR Heinz

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #216 of 392
Hello Heinz, I am big fan of the K1000. I was curious on how you prefer to setup the driver position for a listen? I spent a long time experimenting with the many different possibilities. At first, I thought I liked it the most when the drivers were the closest to the ear. Now I find that the sweet spot is around 3cm outwards. When the drivers are popped out all the way, the listening sessions can be a hit or miss depending on my mood and the quality of the recordings. I didn't like the K1000 when I tried them for the first time six years ago, but that was because I didn't realize I could adjust the temple pads in which, in my opinion, significantly changes the sound especially when the temple pads are fully plump. I find that my pair with the completely deflated temple pads sounds better with the drivers completely popped out compared to pairs with fully plump temple pads with the drivers also popped out completely. I think this has to do with a smaller gap between the head and the drivers which might create a more sealed acoustic chamber (more bass?) at least in the front regardless of the serial #. Anyway, my 3cm sweet spot seems to do the trick with any pair I try. Too bad that the most unique headphone ever created is still discontinued, it's hard to go back to any other ones.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #218 of 392
I spoke with AKG Vienna and they comfirm- K1000 serial numbers strart from 1000.

Can we confirm that the serial numbers ran uninterrupted?  I see a lot of some numbers (4xxx, 7xxx, 10xxx, etc.) but little or none of others.

Hello Heinz, I am big fan of the K1000. I was curious on how you prefer to setup the driver position for a listen?...

I'm guessing this will vary radically from user to user just based on each individual's HRTF- particularly with the K1000.
http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphones/ss/Why-Headphones-Sound-Different-to-Different-People_3.htm#step-heading

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #221 of 392
Hello Troymadison,
The questions you are rising are really important. I was always astonished why I did not read anything similar.
This is, because the effect you discribe is one of the rear disadvantages of the K1000 concept....
It has to do with the shape of the human outer ear in realtion to the fact that the K1000 membrane cannot offer a real flat wave front.
A simple explanaition:
If human are in the acoustic far field (which is true for almost all acoustic natural cases) the outer ear (and also the inner ear) is effecting the "incoming" sound always in the same way.
But this is not true if the sound is "entering" just a view cm in front of the ear entrance.
Basically I designed the acoustics of the K1000 membrane in that way, that when measured at 1.5cm from ear entrance, the acoustic measurements are in average (at many humans) the same as when the sound comes from far field.
However this is true for human average and may be not true for your specific ears.
That means for the K1000 listener:
Just experiment with adjustment of the driver panel relative to the angle to the ear. If you are satisfied with a specific angle the best would be to mark this position and use it in future also.
Sorry, I know this sounds not ideal, but as I said - this is one of the disadvantages of the concept...
Today I would know improved membrane shapes, but 25 years ago I did not have that possibilities with simulation technique.
Best regards,
Heinz Renner

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #222 of 392
Thank you - MKUBOTA1-  for this input.
What I described just before reading your post is exactly:
Reason #2: HRTFs
Thank you!
BR Heinz Renner

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #223 of 392
High,
About the design of the K1000:
You have to understand that the complete housing of the headphone and the driver itself is designed to show as less acoustic reflections as possible,
The result is of course:
> The sound like it is
> The "goofy" looking design.
:wink:
Best regards,
Heinz

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #224 of 392
Hallo Heinz,
this is my first post, and pardon for me "not so technical into it", but musically.
I own a K1000 several years now, and take them for my "final situation" mxing, using different headphones,also the K240DF of course.
So, mine seems to be a little special,because it has no serial number and both sided show the K1000 Logo.
I never took are about that fact, but on the sound quality which is so umcompromising true.
Since i'm playing drums for more than 30 years and also doing studio work  i love them and the straight sound.
For the details i adore the K1000, i love to hear my Bonzo like squeaking of my speedking  though :wink:

So my not so technical question regarding the driver and what type it is.

Since this is my first post, i'm not able to post photos.
And i don't trust public clouds.

I will get to manage a private cloud account to post some photos of the driver as well.

Liebe Grüsse aus Wien

Frank

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #225 of 392
  Hallo Heinz,
this is my first post, and pardon for me "not so technical into it", but musically.
I own a K1000 several years now, and take them for my "final situation" mxing, using different headphones,also the K240DF of course.
So, mine seems to be a little special,because it has no serial number and both sided show the K1000 Logo.

You're the first owner of that pair? If not I think it's very probable that the previous owner lost a plate with a serial number and ordered  a replacement from AKG. Of course they could provide him one with his serial number and he got one with AKG's logo.

Originally Posted by hrklg01
BUT:
Important is really that you buy exact this glue I discribed!
This is because it stay elastic and it withstand humidity. Of course also it glue strong enough the plastic frame with the plastic membrane.
Please avoid too much glue - if you had too much on the membrane, wipe it away with a paper tissue when it's still white and wet.
I do those things by using a needle, plunge it into the glue and transfer that little amount of glue to the membrane edge (between the membrane and the frame). You can move a little bit the membrane so, that the glue can easier flow into the slit between.

After the glue became transparent the repair is done and the driver can be used already.
A listening test whith a sweep signal will show fast if you was successful with the repairment.

Good luck and greatings,
Heinz

I tried to use this method with my pair and it didn't work. Actually I can't hear any noise or buzz when I'm listening to any music but I do with some bass test signals. An interesting thing that the left channel starts to utter that buzz much earlier and the right channel only when I turn the volume quite high. So now I think the main reason of the buzz is some kind of design fault ot the driver. Some pairs of the K1000 are better in that regard and some worse. Something like that:
  membrane is not at very center of magnet coil gap and when moving with low bass hitting or touching magnet coil

If anyone is interested I can share a test singnal which I use. I tried it with all my other headphones and they're perfectly fine. But not the K1000. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back