Hiss/(new)Crack right channel DV336i
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

jona.p

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I turned on my DV336i today and noticed a hiss, which comes and goes in my right channel, was wondering if someone could help me a bit on how I can solve this. Im using the stock tubes in them still. To solve the groundloop issue Im currently using a cheat plug (without the ground)..

I tried reinserting the tubes, but after about 3 minutes the hiss comes back
frown.gif
. It sounds a bit like the wind, sometimes its louder and then its a little less loud and then its completely gone.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Regards
jona

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 52
Your best bet is to play some pink-noise for 24 hours. Usually the "buzz"/"hum" is gone after that time. Rarely is it still there, in which you would continue to run pink-noise until the "noise" is gone.

Generally, after 24-48 hours, the "noise" is gone, but some tubes can take upwards of 100 hours to resolve the problem.

Also, as your amp gains hours, and age, these problems become less and less problematic.

-Nick

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 52
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I think it's burned already, I've been using it for 3 weeks with a minimum of ~3 hours a day. Always playing music, this hiss is new
frown.gif
. I had a hum when I first booted it up, was a different sound from what I get now and I knew then that the hum would disappear with time, it did after about 1 hour;o.

I really hope its the tubes that are making this sound, wouldn;t mind tube rolling ;P.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jona.p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I think it's burned already, I've been using it for 3 weeks with a minimum of ~3 hours a day. Always playing music, this hiss is new
frown.gif
. I had a hum when I first booted it up, was a different sound from what I get now and I knew then that the hum would disappear with time, it did after about 1 hour;o.

I really hope its the tubes that are making this sound, wouldn;t mind tube rolling ;P.

Are you using stock tubes?

Is this "noise" in the original tube that had other "noise" in the beginning?

The tubes are likely the culprit here.. I would say another 200 hours before your DV is fully burnt-in. I think I am close to 750-ish on mine.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 52
Yes, I;m still using the stock tubes, it was also these tubes that had the hum in the beginning. I read somewhere that this is quite normal, the hum at first boot.

woah, another 200 hours? pfff I dunno if I can wait that long for the hiss to disappear!;p

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Yes, I;m still using the stock tubes, it was also these tubes that had the hum in the beginning. I read somewhere that this is quite normal, the hum at first boot.

woah, another 200 hours? pfff I dunno if I can wait that long for the hiss to disappear!;p

It is quite normal. And is normal for this problem to go away at/around the 48 hour mark, if its not already gone. There has been a few instances where it prolonged even further. I had a tube that took about 90 hours to complete it's "burn-in".

I meant another 200 hours before your components are burnt-in. Not the tube. I think its the components that may be doing something to the tube, to make it make an irregular "noise".

Since owning mine, and putting on a lot of hours, I have not yet had this problem on NOS or used tubes as of late. No problems at all. However, when I first owned my 336i, I had similar problems as you.

My first encounter was when the "noise" was in both channels. After about 24 hours, it shifted solely to the left side. After another 24 hours, it was completely gone from the left channel, and into the right one now. Finally, after another 24 hours, it was completely gone.

Again, this is not common. Usually after 48 hours of pink-noise, the "noise" problem is gone.

Good luck..

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 52
Heh, I guess i'll just pray it's not any of the components failing
frown.gif

Just noticed, the hiss doesnt get louder when I tturn the volume all the way up ( on the amp ).

Thanks !

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

frown.gif

Just noticed, the hiss doesnt get louder when I tturn the volume all the way up ( on the amp ).

Thanks !

Moreso, it's the components being burnt-in. Not failing.

Report back to us after 48 hours of pink-noise.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

To solve the groundloop issue Im currently using a cheat plug (without the ground)..

Quote:

frown.gif
. Just noticed, the hiss doesnt get louder when I turn the volume all the way up ( on the amp ).

I always get concerned when I see a cheater plug is being used. Noise problems and grounding problems get harder to solve. If you purchased one of these Search Results Page depending on your power cord size, you could dump the cheater plug and see if any noise clears up. Also, make sure your other components are plugged into the same outlet as your amp. This prevents any "house" grounding issues from creating noise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good Luck!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

I always get concerned when I see a cheater plug is being used. Noise problems and grounding problems get harder to solve. If you purchased one of these Search Results Page depending on your power cord size, you could dump the cheater plug and see if any noise clears up. Also, make sure your other components are plugged into the same outlet as your amp. This prevents any "house" grounding issues from creating noise.
smile.gif

Good Luck!!
smile.gif

I really want to ground my amp also but the ground loop noise I get when I use the grounded plug is really bad, I can hear my harddisck rattle trhough my phones I can hear every movement I make with my mouse ;o + then some more static noise thats always there.

Since they are so cheap I think Ill try one of those cord suppressors. I however doubt itll fix al the garbage I get through the ground, is there maybe a ground loop fix on the power cord instead on the cable from my source to my amp, apart from the supressor im gonna get?

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

I really want to ground my amp also but the ground loop noise I get when I use the grounded plug is really bad, I can hear my harddisck rattle trhough my phones I can hear every movement I make with my mouse ;o + then some more static noise thats always there.

Since they are so cheap I think Ill try one of those cord suppressors. I however doubt itll fix al the garbage I get through the ground, is there maybe a ground loop fix on the power cord instead on the cable from my source to my amp, apart from the supressor im gonna get?

Maybe try some isolation devices, and tube dampers.

This has fixed it in my case.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

I've been looking for the ones that can be used on RCA cables, but I don't think they differ from the ones used on power cables. Maybe the smallest at that site might fit your RCAs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back