Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Sep 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #407 of 1,483
Sep 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #409 of 1,483
  Here you go... Studio V 3rd VS DX50....... one persons take on them,,,,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/ibasso-dx50-appreciation-thread-2nd-batch-shipped/840#post_9791063

He also says the DX50 has a quieter back ground...

Cheers 

Looks interesting, but the 10 hours of play time is really not that great(taken from the Ibasso website, http://www.ibasso.com/en/news/show.asp?ID=116 ). Also how does it compare the Studio V 3rd Anniversary when powering headphones, is the amp comparable? I am not getting one just interesting to look at.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #410 of 1,483
This thread looks kind dead. Probably cus of "you know what" - dx50? Just saying. Umm so does anyone have both and is willing to compare them?

Yes, and I thank God for iBasso.

Looks interesting, but the 10 hours of play time is really not that great(taken from the Ibasso website, http://www.ibasso.com/en/news/show.asp?ID=116 ). Also how does it compare the Studio V 3rd Anniversary when powering headphones, is the amp comparable? I am not getting one just interesting to look at.

I've heard reports of battery life lasting closer to 14 hours (don't have the link). Compared to the Studio-V though, yes, that is a huge difference. BUT, I'd much rather deal with iBasso than Hisound Audio any day of the week. Shameful company.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #411 of 1,483

Yes, and I thank God for iBasso.

I've heard reports of battery life lasting closer to 14 hours (don't have the link). Compared to the Studio-V though, yes, that is a huge difference. BUT, I'd much rather deal with iBasso than Hisound Audio any day of the week. Shameful company.

From reading this thread it would seem that iBasso is no better: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661167/dx50-a-new-smaller-dap-from-ibasso-spec-page-1-impressions-start-on-page/3255 It seems that they also have QC issues and the defective unit also have to be sent to China.... Just pointing out that most of these "boutique" players all have issues.

Maybe because I work in IT, I expect there to be firmware updates to fix readily apparent problems and this is my main problem with Hisound. I hope to see a stable firmware update that addresses the problems that people have chronicled in this thread.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #412 of 1,483
  From reading this thread it would seem that iBasso is no better: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661167/dx50-a-new-smaller-dap-from-ibasso-spec-page-1-impressions-start-on-page/3255 It seems that they also have QC issues and the defective unit also have to be sent to China.... Just pointing out that most of these "boutique" players all have issues.

Maybe because I work in IT, I expect there to be firmware updates to fix readily apparent problems and this is my main problem with Hisound. I hope to see a stable firmware update that addresses the problems that people have chronicled in this thread.

No, it is not that simple. I've had enough relations with Hisound Audio to not be speaking about issues at a surface level. I won't address every aspect of this claim, but a good example would be iBasso's willingness to produce new firmware updates in a timely (there will be a firmware update in a few days and more to come, according to them) and effect manner because they care about their customer base, even after they receive their money. I could go on, but I'm not here to bash a company that IMO deserves it. I'm simply grateful to have better options, like iBasso.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #413 of 1,483
I just got Studio V back from China, it was repaired, as the unit bricked after about 8 months of use.
On first day back from factory repair it was working fine, so I was delighted, but my joy lasted about 6 hours, after which Studio V freeze three times and had to be reset. And reset. And reset....

Just for comparison, I also own Sansa clip for over 3 years, and never, ever had to reset it - I wouldnt even tell you where the reset hole is located, while with Studio V this magic hole is like my best friend.

Sound is great though, with nice analitylical, neutral sound signature, clear instrument separation, big soundstage, and pleasent sound reproduction at all frequencies. Im not even trying to dismiss this fact, the only weak point is slight, but constant hiss, which is not really noticable with most songs, but if you for example play Gorecki Symphony No.3 of Sorrowful Songs - you have to bear with hiss for almost 10 minutes at the opening and that is soul destroying.

Strenghts of Studio V:
- great sound (in loud parts of music)
- long battery life
- nice look

Weaknesses:
- constant hiss (in quiet parts of music)
- constant freezes and need to reset
- cumbersome menu and operations
- not the best after-sale support.

So, would I buy it again? No, I would pass and look for something else, unless quality issues would be resolved, hiss not present, system improved and menu re-written. And, frankly, in my opinion, as for the unit that cost around $500, even mentioning existence of hiss or system failure and freezing should never have taken place.
What I wish for is Sansa quality and support with Studio V sound quality: then I would gladly buy another player from them.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #414 of 1,483
I'm wondering if the freezing is due to tag issues on your files? Maybe worth looking into. The Studio hates ID3.2 tagging as well other more advanced tags. See if cleaning your files fixes this. I rarely every have freezing. I think I had my unit freeze up on me 1 time since owning it and that was when I was shutting it down and it got stuck on the good bye screen.

The easiest way to root that out honestly is to blow some flac files back up to WAV and see if the player continues this behavior. If it doesn't it means its a tag or format issue. Maybe even corrupt files on your player. While that is rare it is also a possibility. My Journey Live CD was corrupted where I couldn't even open some of the files to edit the tagging. It would still play mind you but the files were ruined.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/mp3tag-setup-guide

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #415 of 1,483
I removed all the tags from files long time ago before putting them on the player, as it was happening that a lot of files where marked with question mark and removing tags helped for the unit to recognize them.
Maybe I was just unlucky with my unit, or maybe you were lucky with yours, who knows.
Thing is, there is no tags, and it freezes a lot.

And another thing is, that it is the producer that should be responsible for removing such bugs and issuing firmware that accepts any sort of tags and any file that it says it supports.
It is hard to imagine the producer of cars, who would require you to fill in only one specific brand of petrol, and in order to run it you would need to fill it at 5.35pm exactly, while standing on one foot.
When you ask for $500 and advertise product from high shelf, you shouldnt rely on any gimmicks from your consumer, should you?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #416 of 1,483
I can't argue with you there. Sorry to hear about your poor experience. I'm not sure if its anything to do with luck though. My first Studio unit never gave me much issues after sorting the tags. When I got the 3rd ANV the unit was defective. Would heat up instead of charging the battery. This was a fire hazard.... I had it exchanged out for another unit (took about a month in total to get back) and it has worked fine since. I doubt this will fix your issue but did you delete the system folder listed in the internal memory? You have to do this to get the unit to properly index the files when you add a bunch of files or anytime you exchange the micro SD card.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #417 of 1,483
delete system folder???
Will the unit not stop working then? If this folder is obsolete then why it is there at all?

Could you please describe step by step how to do this, as I'd rather not brick the player because of deleting system files..

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #418 of 1,483
  delete system folder???
Will the unit not stop working then? If this folder is obsolete then why it is there at all?

Could you please describe step by step how to do this, as I'd rather not brick the player because of deleting system files..

Simply plug the Studio V into the PC. Open the internal memory in windows explorer. You'll see a folder called "system folder". Delete this folder and then eject the Studio V. This will not mess up the player. You need to delete this folder when you add a bunch of files or swap out micro SD cards or you will have issue with playing back music. A lot of the time your music files won't even show up correctly or the unit may become unstable. When you delete this folder and then reboot it forces the Studio V to re-index all the files. This will take a few minutes or more depending on how many files you have. But on subsequent restarts it will be much faster than the initial scan. So don't worry about messing anything up. If you haven't been doing this then that could very well be why you are having such issues. This is simply one of the standard procedures you must go through when swapping out cards on the Studio V and the Rocoo line of players.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back