Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #391 of 1,483
Wait wait wait, what mod? What's going in around here!?:)

And yeah, it pairs very well with jh13 pre fp.

Simply change the file allocation size to 2048 when you format the player. You do this right as you are about to update the player via windows explorer. Then simply click the update button on the updater and do not check mark any of the boxes listed in the updater. This way it keeps the custom file allocation. I don't know why but it makes the player warmer. More bass and in a good way with my gear. Makes the Studio V a bit more musical and improves the prat. The mids now have a slight warmth to them instead of being full blown cold.... Overall a very easy mod and you can always revert back to the original allocation by doing the firmware update again and this time checking both boxes for full media erase and format.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #392 of 1,483
This is what Lee and I were experimenting with and it sounds out there but true. We just haven't determined what the fault allocation size is. It may already be at 2048 but reloading can't hurt. Do fast format. On my PC if I do a slow format I need to then do a fast again or it comes out a bit dull. Non of this makes any technical sense but there it is. I was going to try 4k allocation again for kicks as I like the crispness but it's definitely leaner.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #393 of 1,483
  This is what Lee and I were experimenting with and it sounds out there but true. We just haven't determined what the fault allocation size is. It may already be at 2048 but reloading can't hurt. Do fast format. On my PC if I do a slow format I need to then do a fast again or it comes out a bit dull. Non of this makes any technical sense but there it is. I was going to try 4k allocation again for kicks as I like the crispness but it's definitely leaner.

Does windows show you the default allocation? Or is there a program for it? I was thinking it was 32 originally?

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #394 of 1,483
Each Windows is different but once it's changed there's no way to know what came originally. A new player could have it's drive characteristics discovered. The updater always shows sector size as 2048 regardless of previous formatting so that may already be the default.

p.s. I agree it works well on JH13fp's.
smile.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #396 of 1,483
  damn I haven't had to mess with the studio or rocoo ba in so long I'm afraid to jinx it!
confused_face.gif

basically, it's like reinstalling the firmware?

Yep. But before you do so you change the file allocation of the internal memory to 2048. At that point just click the update button and do not check the other two boxes.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #398 of 1,483

Yep. But before you do so you change the file allocation of the internal memory to 2048. At that point just click the update button and do not check the other two boxes.

Will this only affect music on the 4gig of internal memory or will this also affect music from the external memory even though it is not formatted the same?

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #399 of 1,483
  Will this only affect music on the 4gig of internal memory or will this also affect music from the external memory even though it is not formatted the same?

The file system/firmware for the Studio V is kept on the internal memory so this effects the entire player.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #401 of 1,483
  Cool, so I don't check either of the boxes, Format Data Area or Full Media Erase, I just hit start? I see that the Sector size is already 2048.

Yep. Just set the sector size to 2048 and then format to apply I think in windows explorer. Then just hit the update button afterward.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #402 of 1,483
   Yep. Just set the sector size to 2048 and then format to apply I think in windows explorer. Then just hit the update button afterward.

I see, you want me to format using windows explorer, and then run the firmware update? And this will not mess anything up? I am going to try it out now.

Edit: It seems to sound better, thanks for the heads-up.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #403 of 1,483
  I see, you want me to format using windows explorer, and then run the firmware update? And this will not mess anything up? I am going to try it out now.

Yes. You format with windows explorer and use this method to change the file allocation size. Then simply update without checking any of the boxes in the updater. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the sound.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #405 of 1,483
This thread looks kind dead. Probably cus of "you know what" - dx50? Just saying. Umm so does anyone have both and is willing to compare them?

H20Fidelity has the older Studio V (still not as good as the 3rd ANV but still quite good). He also ordered the DX50 so maybe he can chime in later with some comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back