Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Feb 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #946 of 1,483
I did load it in smaller batches, the card got real hot when I tried loading too much at a time.  Also, before this experiment this same card in the player it would start in about 1 minute 15 seconds, so it might be how the initial scan db was made that is affecting the start time???  Might try ditching the system folder and doing it again for kicks to see if that helps.  Oh, and another difference would be the allocation setting, I switched it to 4096 when formatting the unit.

on another note the shure volume controller definitely help get above the hiss and jibberish issue, I also can't hear any negative affects on the SQ when using it. set the studio at about 22 and control the volume with the sure controller and it sounds very nice.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #947 of 1,483

OK, so I installed this firmware and it borked my studio up, initial scan was 20+minutes, takes about five minutes to start after that, folders are all out of order, and there is very high noise floor (hiss).  I will admit that the sound is nice other than the noise floor, there is none of the electronic jibberish I was hearing when switching tracks. Going back to the original FW, thanks but no thanks to this one.  Put the original back up and all is well and right again (still have a hiss, though not as bad and the electronic jibberish is back).  five and a half minute initial scan,  2 minute start after that, folders all in the right order...64Gb class 10 all flac 54gig of files.

Odd. Mine works just like it did with 122311 except for scroll. Was that with the 4min or 15 min installer. I've got the old FW if you want to go back. I have found that an change may not 'take' properly about 10% of the time. You may want to reload and like I said. I can email the old one to you if needed.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #948 of 1,483
it was with 4min installer as I am on Win7. The 16min one does not start (I did not try to run it in any compatibility modes though).

I have already gone back to the 122311 (original FW), thanks.

Mine is one of the black 3rds, so real early build? don't know much about the differences...DF said his booted a lot faster than mine also.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #950 of 1,483
It's all about pairing. 
Studio 3rd is more bassy with smoother treble, pairs well with clearer, thinner IEMs.
Rocoo BA is more neutral with balanced bass,mid and treble, pairs well with fuller or warmer IEMs.
BA has less power than Studio 3rd but still decent enough.
Rocoo BA sounds like a smaller dx100 while Studio 3rd sounds like a smaller 901. That's the best way I can put it.

Thanks tupac. My impresssions are that Studio V has a little bit harsh treble and you are saying that to your ears it has smooth treble. Would you say that for you Rocco BA has more harsh treble than Studio V?

I read somewhere that the difference in bass in those two players is in the lowest of the lows region. Do you confirm this or the entire bass is somehow a little bit lifted in Studio V in comparison to Rocco BA?

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #951 of 1,483
Hmm I don't consider the Studio to have harsh treble at all. Very well extended though and articulate. Still it could be in part due to the synergy/pairing you are using it with). I hated how the 3rd ANV sounded with the MDR-7550s :frowning2:....

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #953 of 1,483
Thanks tupac. My impresssions are that Studio V has a little bit harsh treble and you are saying that to your ears it has smooth treble. Would you say that for you Rocco BA has more harsh treble than Studio V?

I read somewhere that the difference in bass in those two players is in the lowest of the lows region. Do you confirm this or the entire bass is somehow a little bit lifted in Studio V in comparison to Rocco BA?

Yes studio v 2nd does has harsh treble to my ears. But definitely not studio 3rd in which the treble is smoothness a lot, even to the warmer side of neutral .

And yes 3rd has more bass than rocoo BA, speically mid- upper bass

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #954 of 1,483
lee, maybe harsh is not a good word...hmm...I would say emphasized, but definitely not smooth IMHO.

Which unit do you have? On the second edition I have to agree. It is quite sparkly and has a metalic tinge to it. It's quite sterile. On the right pairing though I really liked that unit. My problem was that hiss was really bad and would have to raise the volume to get past that. Not a good thing at all :frowning2:...

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #955 of 1,483
lee, I definitely have 3rd Anniversary Edition. There is a hiss, but during the playback I can't hear it unless there is a part of the song which is very quiet.

The majority of other people who are testing the unit have also the impressions that Studio V is rather bright and has some peaks in the upper midrange/lower treble which give the Studio this analytical edge/clarity. This is way I'm asking tupac about his impressions since he is saying that to his ears treble of Studio V 3rd Anniversary is smooth.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #956 of 1,483

Which unit do you have? On the second edition I have to agree. It is quite sparkly and has a metalic tinge to it. It's quite sterile. On the right pairing though I really liked that unit. My problem was that hiss was really bad and would have to raise the volume to get past that. Not a good thing at all :frowning2:...

Honestly, when I compare hiss levels between my 2nd edition and 3rd Anv units they're basically the same for me.

Not sure what you guys hear or variations in units. If I volume match both then test with one IEM it's the same level of hiss.

I was a little disappointed about this.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #957 of 1,483
lee, I definitely have 3rd Anniversary Edition. There is a hiss, but during the playback I can't hear it unless there is a part of the song which is very quiet.

The majority of other people who are testing the unit have also the impressions that Studio V is rather bright and has some peaks in the upper midrange/lower treble which give the Studio this analytical edge/clarity. This is way I'm asking tupac about his impressions since he is saying that to his ears treble of Studio V 3rd Anniversary is smooth.

To me as well but it will depend on which FW and how the unit is formatted during installation. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #958 of 1,483

OK, so I installed this firmware and it borked my studio up, initial scan was 20+minutes, takes about five minutes to start after that, folders are all out of order, and there is very high noise floor (hiss).  I will admit that the sound is nice other than the noise floor, there is none of the electronic jibberish I was hearing when switching tracks. Going back to the original FW, thanks but no thanks to this one.  Put the original back up and all is well and right again (still have a hiss, though not as bad and the electronic jibberish is back).  five and a half minute initial scan,  2 minute start after that, folders all in the right order...64Gb class 10 all flac 54gig of files.

I had an issue like your when using the new firmware and the 4min install. So I just nuked the system folder and my player is ready in a minute and 10 seconds, actually faster than the earlier firmware.

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #960 of 1,483
Does anyone know how to get the line-out feature to work? I'm trying to listen to this thing through an external amp, but there's no sound through the line-out.

Edit: I just discovered that it might only be a line-in. Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back