Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #916 of 1,483
Did someone compare Studio V 3rd Anniversary with dx50 (with the current firmware) and with upcoming Fiio X5?

I've written a quick impression, that was with the 2nd edition Studio V. My opinion is pretty much the same for 3rd Anv.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681599/ibasso-dx50-vs-studio-v-3anv#post_9852904

I will say if you're buying just for full size headphones I actually prefer the 2nd edition the synergy is easier to match. Honestly, the way even my cheap headphones like HD280 Pro, SHR440 sound with Studio V is pretty damn satisfying. If you can get the synergy right your gear will scale up dramatically. It's an excellent unit.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #917 of 1,483
H20Fidelity, I have Studio V for tests and all I can say it sounds superb with by CIEMs. For now I consider it as the winner in the contest with my DIY Modded iPod Video. But, it have some disadvantages resultsing from the too simple UI, big hiss and interference and that's way I'm wondering whether players such as dx50 or X5 can sound similarily as Studio V but they will have better UI etc.

DAP will be designated solely for CIEMs.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #918 of 1,483
H20Fidelity, I have Studio V for tests and all I can say it sounds superb with by CIEMs. For now I consider it as the winner in the contest with my DIY Modded iPod Video. But, it have some disadvantages resultsing from the too simple UI, big hiss and interference and that's way I'm wondering whether players such as dx50 or X5 can sound similarily as Studio V but they will have better UI etc.

DAP will be designated solely for CIEMs.

I have not heard X5, so I cannot compare yet. I would say going from my observations X5 is the one to wait for over DX50. Also, totally agree about the Studio's hiss levels, they're really hit and miss which each pairing, such a shame.. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #919 of 1,483
They seem to have a big output impedance since with one pair of my CIEMs (having typical crossover) bass becomes lighter in comparison to my ipod and with other one (which crossover is built in such a way that increase of the resistance makes them more bassy) bass has good impact.

For me if Studio V would have lesses hiss and more user friednly UI and maybe a tad more of bass they would be perfect. The instrument separation, positoning, spaciousness are fabulous.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #920 of 1,483
The output impedance should be around 2 ohms on the anv 3 so no crossover issues but it will have similar bass character as a DX50 into very low impedances. I say this from looking at test graphs. With my jh13s the anv3 never seems bass shy or crossover compromised. The graphs which were into a severe load showed what looked like what happens into lower impedances when DC blocking caps are used with the DX50 and others.

The Studio Aniversary 3 may have a lower output impedance that a older Studio V due to either a different amp stage or increased negative feedback to lower the gain.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #922 of 1,483
I've written a quick impression, that was with the 2nd edition Studio V. My opinion is pretty much the same for 3rd Anv.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681599/ibasso-dx50-vs-studio-v-3anv#post_9852904

I will say if you're buying just for full size headphones I actually prefer the 2nd edition the synergy is easier to match. Honestly, the way even my cheap headphones like HD280 Pro, SHR440 sound with Studio V is pretty damn satisfying. If you can get the synergy right your gear will scale up dramatically. It's an excellent unit.

Which dx50 version did you compare? Do you still have dx50 and can compare it (under the lastest firmware) to Studio V?

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #923 of 1,483
So, why:

- on iMod CE BA4r have more bass than on Studio V 3rd Anniversary;

- on iMod CA pro330v2 have less bass than on Studio V 3rd Anniversary.

Your 4r impedance is actually below 20 ohms below 100 hz. Re read my post relative to coupling caps and relate it to that. If that doesn't make sense to you I can't help any further.[size=x-small] It's not crossover related. The 4r also naturally rolls below 100hz so that would actually be normal. You are comparing to a [/size]separate amp attached to the Imod which LO only. If it was a stand alone it would have even less bass than the studio. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #924 of 1,483
So, why:

- on iMod CE BA4r have more bass than on Studio V 3rd Anniversary;

- on iMod CA pro330v2 have less bass than on Studio V 3rd Anniversary.

Because the Studio V has a lighter note weight and is very airy. The iPod Video is quite a bit more colored and bass heavy from what I recall. The signature is more long the lines of 627 Op Amp.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #925 of 1,483
Lee, it would be the right answer if this would b e applicable to both of my CIEMs. But, as I wrote, Custom Art Pro330 behave differently than Cosmic Ears BA4R on Studio meaning they have more bass on Studio V than Cosmic's (on imod this other way around). The only logical explanation would be the higher output impedance of Studio (my imod with the amp. Have around 0.5 ohm) because I know that Custom Art should behave differently to all other headphones when the source has more output impedance ie they became more bassy rather than bass light.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #927 of 1,483
So I whipped out my XP PC and reinstalled the FW with the included 15min loader. It now loads in about the same time as the old FW did. ~1.5 min. I did a fast format at default and it retained the 4096 allocation size. Verified with dskchk. It sounds the best it ever has. Fuller but with no loss of boogie or detail and a high goose bump factor. I'm not going to verify any of this because I don't want to change a thing. I like it and I think Lee would love this take. It's got the body he likes with no loss of tempo. Will be fun to compare it to the X5. I don't expect the A3 to be as good since I can use HiDef files on an X5 but it will likely still make me smile.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #928 of 1,483
  So I whipped out my XP PC and reinstalled the FW with the included 15min loader. It now loads in about the same time as the old FW did. ~1.5 min. I did a fast format at default and it retained the 4096 allocation size. Verified with dskchk. It sounds the best it ever has. Fuller but with no loss of boogie or detail and a high goose bump factor. I'm not going to verify any of this because I don't want to change a thing. I like it and I think Lee would love this take. It's got the body he likes with no loss of tempo. Will be fun to compare it to the X5. I don't expect the A3 to be as good since I can use HiDef files on an X5 but it will likely still make me smile.

Sorry if this is redundant, but can you link me to the FW DL and install instructions for this? Does the install only work on the XP OS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back