Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #902 of 1,483
How can I follow a Headphoneous Supremus such as Goodvibes, you are the man!!!  Well so is Captain Lee 730 who lives in Hawaii but doesn't surf????
Just got my 3rd Anniv., but don't hold your breath, I'm not getting on my knees next to my bed and tape a Jihaad Interview on this unit!!!LOL!!!

My V bit the dust, wouldn't play I believe because a solder repair on my headphone Jack(LOL) came loose.  I still plan on trying to repair it.   

So far, after 30 min. the 3rd sounds definately warmer and I actually heard some very tight subbass that I never noticed with my V, and yes, subbass on the AS2!!  So far the mids are much warmer, highs smoother(warmer) and tighter, deeper bass over the V.   I'm excited for 100-200hrs burnin!  Still crazy UI.   But get this, the 3rd is 4.45oz, 5.15oz for the V, so the 3rd is 14% lighter if my math is correct.  

Still planning on replacing my AS2 cable, as some of you know.   In contention is the Fiio copper, a new silver cable I just discovered:  http://store.treoo.com/main/nocturnal-audio-acrux-4-conductor-stranded-silver-cable.html,  the moon silver for $185 http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-iem-headphone-cable.html(which does have a return policy at 5% restock) and both Flysweep and Alpha421 like with the AS2, the only thing about silver is I've heard it can affect voices by thinning them and putting them further back on the soundstage).    I am also looking at the Swan Audio SA05, not sure about silver or copper, but heard it has good synergy with the AS2.   

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #903 of 1,483
I finally got around to trying the latest FW on my Anv 3. 
http://www.hisoundaudio.com/Uploadfiles/20131117175558560.rar

I like it. I think it's the best sounding of the bunch. You lose the hold to scroll function but other than that, I don't see any issues. Installed the way I like it best with the 2011 FW, I think it maintains all the detail with a bit more color and less etch. The installer supplied only works with XP (Ithink) so you'll have to copy the old installer into the folder for W7. For best sounding result, start the normal install procedure. When recognized after opening the updater, do a quick (not slow) format at 4096 allocation size before starting the updater. Don't check any of the updater boxes. (fromat and erase) Once ready and started, disable BTN sound in the settings menu. The difference isn't huge from this same type of previous install but enough for me to forget about the scrolling. 

Silly question but does anyone have a link to the old installer that works for win 7? Gonna try updating the firmware!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #905 of 1,483
Hmm so you like the sound better? I never stuck with it long enough to really notice. I just couldn't stand how buggy the UI became after that. Especially having to click each time to scroll down....

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #906 of 1,483
Not to mention the longer library scan time ......

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #907 of 1,483
Yep, scan time is longer but I don't find the UI any different other than no scroll as mentioned. Library, clicks times and sensitivity seem the same. This isn't going to be better for everyone so having the old standby FW on hand is not a bad idea. Easy enough to revert back with the same instructions. The sig comments may vary by how the old FW was installed. This is my fav sonic setup but 122311 is also VG and does have the best load times and scroll. Use whatever rings your bell.
bigsmile_face.gif
 If I was all about load times and great UIs over sound, this wouldn't be the player I'd choose anyway.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #908 of 1,483
  Hmm so you like the sound better? I never stuck with it long enough to really notice. I just couldn't stand how buggy the UI became after that. Especially having to click each time to scroll down....

I was stuck between the 2 ways we were loading the FW before. I still preferred the load method described here but it's very slightly etched so I thought I'd try the new FW and it's right where I'd want it. You guys almost scared me off. I thought it might be like the interim FW where the library went funky. Fortunately not.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #909 of 1,483
  Yep, scan time is longer but I don't find the UI any different other than no scroll as mentioned. Library, clicks times and sensitivity seem the same. This isn't going to be better for everyone so having the old standby FW on hand is not a bad idea. Easy enough to revert back with the same instructions. The sig comments may vary by how the old FW was installed. This is my fav sonic setup but 122311 is also VG and does have the best load times and scroll. Use whatever rings your bell.
bigsmile_face.gif
 If I was all about load times and great UIs over sound, this wouldn't be the player I'd choose anyway.

How much longer are the scan times compared to the older firmware? I am trying this firmware now to see how it is sound wise.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #912 of 1,483
Just to get this straight in my old clouded head...
I have three firmware files with their associated installers:

20111223 with stupdaterapp_4min.exe

20130712 with stupdaterapp_msc_15min.exe

20131117 with stupdaterapp_msc_15min.exe

I am running 20111223 (this came installed on the unit)

I read earlier that 20130712 was not good and barf-up the unit.

Is 20131117 a stable FW? Does it barf the unit?  Is this the one you are talking about goodvibes?
Which installed is the one to use for WIN7 attempt?

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #914 of 1,483
That's all correct and in Win 7 You use the installer from the earliest FW by pasting it into the the folder of 20131117 which seems to work OK. It's never going to be a perfect UI.  When I get a chance, I'll see if the 15min installer works on xp and if things go any different. 

I haven't used it much since trying as I've been a bit overwhelmed. The sonic difference isn't great. If I listen now it's difficult to verify but on first listen to the same cut after update, those were my impressions. You can always go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back