Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #211 of 1,483
OK, I'd say it's got to be the Studio. Just tried it all again on my laptop, which is a custom built, Windows 7, solid state hard drive laptop, high powered to use for dictation with Dragon, and hardly used for anything else. Tried both as per instructions, and, as suggested, opening updater first. Made sure suspended antivirus before downloading file (made a mistake doing this at first, but figured out the mistake and used the file download without antivirus). So, what happened? Exactly the same error message, updater didn't recognize Studio, couldn't install firmware. I don't think I'm going to send it to China yet another time...I'm really sick of it. Pity, because I really like the sound, but the trouble I've had with it makes it not worth the bother. Maybe, some day, a company that at least has American distribution will put out adecent sounding player (the new Fiio player, which likely will be available on Amazon, is a possibility. IBasso and iRiver seem slightly more iffy...and the players are really expensive, and get mixed reviews from what I've read). Then again, I always have the iPod Touch...it works. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #212 of 1,483
Quote:
OK, I'd say it's got to be the Studio. Just tried it all again on my laptop, which is a custom built, Windows 7, solid state hard drive laptop, high powered to use for dictation with Dragon, and hardly used for anything else. Tried both as per instructions, and, as suggested, opening updater first. Made sure suspended antivirus before downloading file (made a mistake doing this at first, but figured out the mistake and used the file download without antivirus). So, what happened? Exactly the same error message, updater didn't recognize Studio, couldn't install firmware. I don't think I'm going to send it to China yet another time...I'm really sick of it. Pity, because I really like the sound, but the trouble I've had with it makes it not worth the bother. Maybe, some day, a company that at least has American distribution will put out adecent sounding player (the new Fiio player, which likely will be available on Amazon, is a possibility. IBasso and iRiver seem slightly more iffy...and the players are really expensive, and get mixed reviews from what I've read). Then again, I always have the iPod Touch...it works. 

I know that you have already gone over this, but is it possible that you are not getting enough charge over the USB port to even charge the Studio V. Is it possible that the battery is so dead that it needs a stronger charge. Are you doing it over USB 3.0? Do you still have the charger that came with unit? Sorry in advance if you had already tried this.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #213 of 1,483
I don't mind, I'll take any suggestions. I had it connected to my PC using the front USB, and the screen did have the "charging" cartoon going. Not sure if these are 2 or 3, I'm guessing 3, but I left it connected 3-4 days, I'd think that would charge anything. I didn;t try the charger that came with it, nothing to lose, I'll connect it now and see what happens. Thanks 

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #214 of 1,483
The screen went on, cycling through "HI" "do music" and "Studio", but I have seen that before with a non functioning unit. Leave it to charge, see what happens (boy, will I be red faced if it works...but it should charge connected to a PC with the included, no?)

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #215 of 1,483
Quote:
I can get to the folder section for say the external card, but it still only plays an individual album randomly, not everything on the card. Or I can go to artists, but it will only play one artist at a time, it will also go to folder but ends in the same result. I see the that I can play shuffle with the now playing section though. so maybe that is the only way the player can do it via this firmware.

You can play all files by selecting the "Now Playing" feature when you first turn on the unit. This will play all files from both the internal memory and the external memory. You can put it on random to shuffle (although the shuffle isn't as good as it could be IMO). You can also highlight external memory then click the right button and select folder play. This will play all files from the external memory. The player will freeze for a little while though depending on how many tracks you have on the player so don't fret if this happens. Just wait. If you select random it will skip folders. If you select normal it will play your albums in order from top to bottom.

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #216 of 1,483
Quote:
I don't mind, I'll take any suggestions. I had it connected to my PC using the front USB, and the screen did have the "charging" cartoon going. Not sure if these are 2 or 3, I'm guessing 3, but I left it connected 3-4 days, I'd think that would charge anything. I didn;t try the charger that came with it, nothing to lose, I'll connect it now and see what happens. Thanks 

doctorjazz did you do as I said though and just try to start the updater without the studio v plugged into both of your computers? If the updater program starts and doesn't give you an error this way then you can root out the problem as being on your system. Otherwise it means there is a compatibility issue with your systems and that updater program opposed to the studio V causing this issue? You never told me if you did try to start the program without plugging in the studio. This is to root out the problem being an incompatibility issue with your system itself. If the problem persists when starting the program by itself then its not necessarily the Studio V causing the issue. I am able to start the program up before I plug the Studio V in and it doesn't give me an error. Same as having the unit plugged in and then starting the program, no error messages.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #217 of 1,483
doctorjazz did you do as I said though and just try to start the updater without the studio v plugged into both of your computers? If the updater program starts and doesn't give you an error this way then you can root out the problem as being on your system. Otherwise it means there is a compatibility issue with your systems and that updater program opposed to the studio V causing this issue? You never told me if you did try to start the program without plugging in the studio. This is to root out the problem being an incompatibility issue with your system itself. If the problem persists when starting the program by itself then its not necessarily the Studio V causing the issue. I am able to start the program up before I plug the Studio V in and it doesn't give me an error. Same as having the unit plugged in and then starting the program, no error messages.

I thought I mentioned that I did open the updater before connecting the Studio, but maybe I didn't, too lazy to go back through the posts. Anyway, tried it that way on the laptop,(both ways, connecting the Studio 1st, then opening the updater 1st) updater did open, but gave me the same error message when I connected the Studio. Can't see why 2 different Windows 7 computers would have the same incompatibility, but I suppose anything is possible. Trying a long wall charge (as oppposed to charging from the computer via usb, which I usually do), have a feelung we're out of ideas if that doesn't help. Do appreciate the time and thoughtfulness, though.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #218 of 1,483
Ok then so you successfully opened the updater without it giving you an error? Correct? But when you plug the Studio V into the device then you get an error? If so that means the problem is on the Studio V. Only way to fix this is RMA then sorry.

Also even though I don't expect this to make you feel any better (lol :p). I've had way more than my share of problems with DAPs in general. Even a Hisound product on one occasion overheating. But I've had defective units come to my house on several occasions. 2 Sflo2s, a hifiman 601 which was suppose to replace the Sflo2 (lol), DX100, Studio V, broken Sansa products, etc. So when you think you have it bad think of lee730 and smile :wink:.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #219 of 1,483
To be precise, I did it both ways (opening he updater before and after connecting the Studio) only on the laptop-figured that was more pristine, used in work mostly, little downloading, little surfing, high end computer. To be complete, I can try it again on the PC, if charging from the outlet doesn't work. PC is also fairly high end-friend at work who's very computer literate helped me build it from good components (if you can call him picking components, putting parts together, while I hold the screwdrtver "helping me build it"). He also selected compopnents for custom laptop. No harm trying all angles if the charge doesn't work, though. Thanks again.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #220 of 1,483
DoctorJazz I understand that you did it both ways. But that is not my question. My question is "did the program give you an error even when you just started the program by itself?" I hope I'm making myself clear now lol. Now sure how I could make that any clearer.... If you still get the error even when starting the program by itself (no Studio V plugged in) that means its a problem on your systems causing a compatibility issue.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #221 of 1,483
Quote:
Ok then so you successfully opened the updater without it giving you an error? Correct? But when you plug the Studio V into the device then you get an error? If so that means the problem is on the Studio V. Only way to fix this is RMA then sorry.

Also even though I don't expect this to make you feel any better (lol :p). I've had way more than my share of problems with DAPs in general. Even a Hisound product on one occasion overheating. But I've had defective units come to my house on several occasions. 2 Sflo2s, a hifiman 601 which was suppose to replace the Sflo2 (lol), DX100, Studio V, broken Sansa products, etc. So when you think you have it bad think of lee730 and smile :wink:.

You've got me beat, though if I returned this it would be my 3rd shipment to China.In fact, I upgraded from the older Studio to the Anniversary because I had to send the old one back anyway, figured it was a good time to kick in the upgrade cost and get the newer, hopefully improved, model. The main difference, though, is having someone at least semi-local (same side of the world?) to deal with, as you must have had with at least some of those models. But the point is taken-dealing with boutique, new equipment makers has its risks, unlike dealing with, say, Sony. (in the early days of high end home stereo gear, it was said to be not uncommon to have an amp or preamp bllow up or catch fire in your living room lol)

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #222 of 1,483
I get the question, the updater does open on the laptop when I do it before connecting the Studio, the window opens, when I connect the Studio I get the error.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #223 of 1,483
Guess my answer wasn't so clear...

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #224 of 1,483
The error appears when I connect the dap, don't see it when I open updater but still haven't connected the dap

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #225 of 1,483
Quote:
You've got me beat, though if I returned this it would be my 3rd shipment to China.In fact, I upgraded from the older Studio to the Anniversary because I had to send the old one back anyway, figured it was a good time to kick in the upgrade cost and get the newer, hopefully improved, model. The main difference, though, is having someone at least semi-local (same side of the world?) to deal with, as you must have had with at least some of those models. But the point is taken-dealing with boutique, new equipment makers has its risks, unlike dealing with, say, Sony. (in the early days of high end home stereo gear, it was said to be not uncommon to have an amp or preamp bllow up or catch fire in your living room lol)

Actually doctorjazz all of these players I mentioned (besides the Sansas) required me to ship back to China. Well the Hifiman 601 was an exception as they have really good customer service and a US location where I bought the unit. They even covered the shipping label back to them due to the item coming to my house defective. So I have to give Hifiman props (Head Direct).
Quote:
I get the question, the updater does open on the laptop when I do it before connecting the Studio, the window opens, when I connect the Studio I get the error.

Ok :). That means the Studio is defective then and needs to be replaced/repaired. Sorry to hear this :frowning2:.

Quote:
Guess my answer wasn't so clear...

Now it's crystal clear :wink:. Dealing with technical stuff I need to know the nitty and gritty. I'm actually getting into the computer repair/maintenance field so fine detail is needed :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back