Hip-Hop/Rap Headphone around $300
Aug 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jannikger

New Head-Fier
Hi all. Okay I'm new to this forum and I don't really know anything about high quality headphones. I owned a pair of Dre Beats and some Bose headphones but I returned both of them because I didn't really like them. I'm looking for some bass heavy headphone where you don't really need an amp that costs above $50. The headphone will be used to listen to my Laptop. Like I said I listen to mainly Hip-Hop/Rap and my budget is $300.

Sorry for my bad English. (I am German
tongue_smile.gif
 )

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Hi all. Okay I'm new to this forum and I don't really know anything about high quality headphones. I owned a pair of Dre Beats and some Bose headphones but I returned both of them because I didn't really like them. I'm looking for some bass heavy headphone where you don't really need an amp that costs above $50. The headphone will be used to listen to my Laptop. Like I said I listen to mainly Hip-Hop/Rap and my budget is $300.

Sorry for my bad English. (I am German
tongue_smile.gif
 )

Welcome to Head-Fi.

Your English isn't bad at all. Definitely better than my German.
rolleyes.gif

What didn't you like about the Beats and Bose?

Anyway, I'm not really sure about your price range across the pond but I'd say the Denon D2000s is worthy of a look. I do recommend some sort of amp/dac for them though. I found their bass to be on the boomy side straight from my mp3 player.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 17
The DT990 would be a good option but they really do like amping. Ultrasone may also be worth looking at though I don't listen to much hip-hop and rap so I can't say for sure.

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 17
If you can I'd go for the 600 ohm version. The 250 ohm version for me was incredibly sibilant. They had a ton of treble energy which made them very fatiguing. I couldn't wear them for more than a couple of songs without coming away with a headache. Apparently the 600 ohm version improves on this and most other areas as well but I haven't heard them.

They may actually have too much soundstage for hip-hop, though again I never listened to much hip-hop with them (I'm more of a trance and electronic guy
cool.gif
). They have more of an airy and light feel than the Sones or Denons. Very detailed, good bass, slightly recessed midrange. Oh and extremely comfortable as well. Of course that's just my hearing and yours could be and probably is somewhat different so you may not experience it at all.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm going to disagree and say go for 32 ohm if you're going Beyer route. You're going over your budget by choosing high impedance models. But then again that's what usually happens to most people here so good luck!

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 17
I wouldn't say you need one but I'd definitely plan for one in the future. You won't be getting the full potential of them. They will be boomy and sound a little sloppy but still listenable. Also if you need something that has isolation I'd go a different route. Whatever you do decide on make sure to give them some time before you give a final judgement (something like 50-100 hours of burn in). I don't really believe in burn in but I do think that you become accustomed to different sound signatures over time.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 17
About the DT990/600Ohm's, the treble is a lot smoother than their 250Ohm counterparts. It's not silky, but has far less edge to it and the bass is also stronger. 

They sound good without an amp, but a dedicated OTL tube amp will really bring out their full potential!

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 17
what about Sony MDR XB700?

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 17
DT770 Pro80, maybe? Shure SRH750dj?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back