High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Aug 9, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #3,091 of 4,183
Many headphone or earphone cable companies around the world source their copper from Japan. Actually, the inventor of OCC is Japanese. Strange enough, they have fair prices up there. I found a company, Bispa, available through Amazon Japan, that sells some very fine cables. I got a Bispa Ryou cable for my AKG N5005 a few days ago and couldn't be happier. I paid USD 260 for them, including shipping and customs taxes. I'm not experienced enough with cables to say they sound like more expensive ones but to me, they DO sound noticeably better than stock cables.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #3,092 of 4,183
hi everyone, i am not a cable expert but I have the following cables which are not high end ones

OC STUDIO Monarach
EFFECT Audio Eros
And a cheap headlounge copper cable

All those cables are 8 cores and 2.5 balanced and i used my ak se100

and I do not know why with all my iems ( khan, tia trio , and qdc fusion ) I prefer the cheap copper cable

Maybe I should source out a great copper cable instead of those hybrid ones

With just copper I felt the timbre and tonality is more natural than the other 2 cables and I did not feel the copper lacks in detail compared to the other 2 cables, so it was rich sounding and detailed and tonality was prefered with copper. It strange as I thought the tia trio which is a bit warm would be more liked with cables like the monrach or effect audio one

Again I am not an expert at all in cables so I need advise
I've had a revelation in the past couple days. I finally got myself a silver cable which is way more transparent than anything else I've tried, but it isn't rich sounding at all. If a recording sounds rich, then it will sound rich, if a recording sounds bright, it sounds bright. On a copper cable, these brighter tracks are balanced again, making them sound less stringent. I believe these tracks are bright because they were mastered with compromised gear, ie they werent mastered with silver/other high end cables in mind.

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #3,093 of 4,183
New King

by dubbcd on Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Attachments

• IMG_20190809_161639.jpg
    IMG_20190809_161639.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #3,095 of 4,183
HeadphoneLounge cables aren't all that cheap (well, in comparison to expensive ones, yes, but they are well-made). Depending on the iem, I prefer copper as well. I had a couple of Moon Silver Dragons and one Moon Black Dragon. Liked them all, but they were dependent as well on source and iem. My last pair of Silver Dragons sounded great on my AK240SS but when I upgraded to an AKSP1000SS they sounded way too sibilant (using an Angie). Had to go back to the stock JH cable at that point, which I believe was copper.

Advice? If you like how it sounds, it's right for you..

its so difficult to know what to buy without auditioning, so i have to rely on reviews, but for sure i like the tonality of copper more, so now its time to hunt down a great choice for a great copper cable , any advice is appreciated especially for khan, which i think needs to have the correct cable to be chosen for it, as its super revealing and i do not want to add any brightness or make the sound thinner, actually id like to add to it a hint of warmth and more bass presence without affecting the highs at all

as for the tia trio that one i need more tightening in the bass and add more detail to the mids

so confusing what to buy without auditioning, some suggest the effect audio cleopatra for it, but i prefer now to stick to just copper

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #3,096 of 4,183
its so difficult to know what to buy without auditioning, so i have to rely on reviews, but for sure i like the tonality of copper more, so now its time to hunt down a great choice for a great copper cable , any advice is appreciated especially for khan, which i think needs to have the correct cable to be chosen for it, as its super revealing and i do not want to add any brightness or make the sound thinner, actually id like to add to it a hint of warmth and more bass presence without affecting the highs at all

as for the tia trio that one i need more tightening in the bass and add more detail to the mids

so confusing what to buy without auditioning, some suggest the effect audio cleopatra for it, but i prefer now to stick to just copper
for the Khan(which I have no experience with) really any gold plated silver cable would do I think, but a thicker gold coating will provide more warmth and body by increasing decay length of transients. I've tried the OC AuX which has a huge subbass.

for the Trio(which I also have no experience with), choose a pure silver cable, though maybe not the Thor series. Agni Mk ii and Effect Audio Cleopatra are good choices. Cleo is the more transparent of the two though both will be unforgiving to a lot of music.

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #3,097 of 4,183
for the Khan(which I have no experience with) really any gold plated silver cable would do I think, but a thicker gold coating will provide more warmth and body by increasing decay length of transients. I've tried the OC AuX which has a huge subbass.

for the Trio(which I also have no experience with), choose a pure silver cable, though maybe not the Thor series. Agni Mk ii and Effect Audio Cleopatra are good choices. Cleo is the more transparent of the two though both will be unforgiving to a lot of music.

well i have been trying to contact OC studio as their prices are great, but he barely responds now on facebook. I had much better customer experience with him before, now he is not answering , so with that being said I will not buy from him. Maybe a PW no 5 will be good for the khan or something from raphsodio

as for the agni i will read bout it

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,098 of 4,183
well i have been trying to contact OC studio as their prices are great, but he barely responds now on facebook. I had much better customer experience with him before, now he is not answering , so with that being said I will not buy from him. Maybe a PW no 5 will be good for the khan or something from raphsodio

as for the agni i will read bout it
though I do like the PW no 5, it isn't very good technically imo. It doesn't really add much weight or warmth either. maybe you can look to Plussound cables. I haven't tried their gold plated silver or gold plated copper but I have a gold plated hybrid cable from them that is diffusely warm throughout. It doesn't shine in technicalities compared to other cables around its price point but technicalities isn't its main point either and it is another option to consider.

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #3,100 of 4,183
Aug 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #3,102 of 4,183
Would anyone know if there's a distributor that can take custom orders on PW Audio's cables?
Want to shorten the length to less than 50cm for running and working out.
If not, any other companies to rec? Looking for an OCC copper cable that is very light, thin, and short for under $300

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #3,103 of 4,183
Would anyone know if there's a distributor that can take custom orders on PW Audio's cables?
If not, any other companies to rec? Looking for an OCC copper cable that is very light, thin, and short for under $300

You can try contacting Music Sanctuary for that: https://music-sanctuary.com/. PlusSound's X-series is also a great option for light and thin cables, but you'll have to talk to Christian about getting a custom length. Otherwise, I think FiR Audio's cables would be perfect for you. They're lighter and thinner than most aftermarket cables, and you can specify the length you want in their online Cable Designer: https://www.firaudio.com/cables

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #3,104 of 4,183

triton 4 wire occ 26 awg teflon jacket. Not the most supple, but nice and thin. Furthermore, skin oils don't seem to make it harder over time (which I've noticed happens to lots of other cables). he has a 24.5 awg litz variant that is softer, but it is nowhere as thin, and may be prone to stiffening because it's TPU jacket. something to consider if using it for exercise.

http://tritonaudiocables.com/Triton4-OCC-Cable_p_22.html

he'll do custom lengths as well. Turn around time is stupid fast. actually, check the inventory online, he may have a "bluetooth" sized cable for armband attachment.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #3,105 of 4,183
You can try contacting Music Sanctuary for that: https://music-sanctuary.com/. PlusSound's X-series is also a great option for light and thin cables, but you'll have to talk to Christian about getting a custom length. Otherwise, I think FiR Audio's cables would be perfect for you. They're lighter and thinner than most aftermarket cables, and you can specify the length you want in their online Cable Designer: https://www.firaudio.com/cables
Thank you for the rec's. Love your review on the Satin Audio Griffin and Chimera. Very informative and really liked the comparisons with EA Ares II. Learned quite a bit as a newbie. I think they are pretty light and thin too based on your review? Curious about your thoughts on Satin Audio ones vs FiR Audio and PlusSound X series if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back