High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #3,076 of 4,183
I sent my Ares ll 4-wire in to EA to be magically turned into an 8-wire and it's taking some time to get done and find its way back to me. So currently my Massdrop one is languishing in my music box minus a cable. But when I had the 4-wire on it, and compared it to the XR with the 8-wire, it was pretty close. I only had 50-60 hours on the XlV and the 4-wire to boot. When my new 8-wire returns, it will have a PSquared plug on it, so the two Zeus' will never be quite the same. Jack said the two would be identical, but I wonder as there are differences (shell and bore, particularly). However, so far the Massdrop didn't sound too far off. I do find that the more hours, the better the Zeus gets. My XR has at least 500 and it just sounds great.

The 8-wire gives more room for instrument and vocal placement (I find the soundstage quite wide even with the 4-wire). I don't think i"d want it any wider.

The thing about the Zeus is its transparency. That takes a little while to get used to. But once you do, and you realize just how much you can hear, it's pretty fantastic. It's not forgiving, though, and a bad mastering or mixing job is going to be really apparent. I'm not sure I'd go to a Hugo. You should investigate what kind of sound it brings to the party. My AK SP1000 SS is a detail monster with a fairly reference sound signature and it matches up really well. The copper version might give you a slight bit more warmth. What you don't want to do is find a source that removes the magic from the Zeus. You want to find one the compliments it. As to tips, FA suggests using the smallest possible ones that give a good seal. But if you move from silicone to foam you will pick up warmth and timbre for nominal cost.
Yess! And I am getting more as more hours passing. Now I am getting a fine sharp bass from the 1Z. I was listening to Manowar's Battle Hymns (2010's MMXI version). Wow the beginning bomb-basting drums, I felt myself standing with the drummer and I can image all the hits. Which wasn't a live feel at all with the ZX-300 or the with the Zeus before proper burn. Also the Led Zeppelin's 'Since I have been loving you' cover by Europe - the click on the base at the beginning is back again. I still don't have the flac of Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones, I can manage time to download tomorrow and check it.

Actually regarding Hugo 2, someone commented on the drop that it utilizes the full of the Zeus. Ya, I better go through some more reviews as my only priority is, if the Hugo 2 can do better than the 1Z only by sonics. Because unlike android devices, the Sony software performance isn't much processing power hungry and it preforms same as the $400 ZX-300a vs the $3200 WM1Z for loading database or playing native DSDs. But I will still get an upgrade find out if my ears can really hear difference from high tier cables.

What I was looking for was a detailed crisp signature. I can always adjust the EQ if I am in a bass mood. I finally got it on the Zeus. I started my first DAP as Sony and started cable setup with the 4.4 mm. Later, I have red about the fine clarity the A&K DAPs offers, but for battery and the UI of Sony I already adjusted myself. I am not thinking of a change any more.

To everyone, I know this is a dedicated high-end cable thread, my apologies for the diversion.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #3,077 of 4,183
I don't own the Zeus, but from what I understand it's a pretty lean, detailed and highly-resolved monitor. I have owned the Copper Wizard mk2 (and I'm selling mine, but it's MMCX, assume you're eyeballing the other one for sale) and it's a great cable. It's not a cable that will add a lot of warmth, but instead extracts loads of detail with a slightly darker signature. It still has sparkly treble, lots of air, expansive soundstage, but it diverges from a pure silver sound with a little more note density and black background. I think it would pair excellently with the Zeus based on my understanding of how the Zeus sounds. Just be warned, it's a pretty thick and heavy cable.

I don't think there are any reviews for the CW2, but see Nic's excellent comparison with the mk1 version here: https://theheadphonelist.com/the-silverfi-iem-r2-cable/3/

-Collin-
Thanks a lot. that's total in-depth comparison. Ya, I am eyeballing the other 2pin version. So now three cables I have in mind - Ares II+ 8 braid, the 4 braid Wizard MK2, or the Wagnus Frosty Sheep. I wish I could buy all three and compare! Will cam back later with personal impression after final grab.

BTW, although Effect Audio is always late to response emails and less communicative, but their RMA service is really great!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3,078 of 4,183
Went for a walk (with my Zeus XR) and thought more about your questions. Assuming you are using the FA tips that came with the Drop Zeus, consider trying some Comply Isolation/Sport foamies. You'll pick up some lower end, lose a bit of upper end, and thicken the mids a bit. I don't use them because I am used to the Zeus and like it (it delivers exactly what is on the track, not adding anything), but they might help you figure out what is going on. The Zeus has a whole lot of bottom end if the track does, but it doesn't put any in if it doesn't. You say you like rock. Play Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones and you should hear lots of bass. But the Zeus is not a slammer, you are not going to feel the shake the way you will with other iems. That's not what it was built to do. It's basically a reference, as is the UERM. It's not exactly uncolored, but close enough. Lots of lovely mids and trebles. Fairly transparent bottom end.

I am wondering if a PW Audio 1960 will be a good match to the Massdrop Zeus.

I m currently using A18t, and going to get a 1960 4-wire. May have chance for a 1960 2-wire as well. Just wonder if either 2 or 4-wirr will help to bring back some warmth to the Zeus (will only get it next week though). I m using SP1000 SS as my source.

Jul 29, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #3,079 of 4,183
Hello, does anybody have experience with japanese Bispa cables? I just bought their high end Bispa Ryou cable in 3.5mm MMCX configuration for my AKG N5005.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #3,080 of 4,183
I am wondering if a PW Audio 1960 will be a good match to the Massdrop Zeus.

I m currently using A18t, and going to get a 1960 4-wire. May have chance for a 1960 2-wire as well. Just wonder if either 2 or 4-wirr will help to bring back some warmth to the Zeus (will only get it next week though). I m using SP1000 SS as my source.
The 1960s 2 wire should be great match. It brings out the low end, and gives more body to the sound, and should tame any and all harshness in the signature.
The 4 wire is not a great match with bright iems, 2 wire is the way to go in my opinion.

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #3,081 of 4,183
Theoretically the Wagnus Frosty mastering edition will be bright in order to bring all the detail and zeus is also bright. So bright + bright may boost some hiss in the mids on some records? Because I am getting quite hiss from the Thor Silver II on some records at the moment. But if I switch to the stock cable, it isn't much notable.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #3,082 of 4,183
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,083 of 4,183
Hi guys, my review of AAW’s flagship triple hybrid Canary is up. The Canary comes with the Symphonym Hakone cable, a 4-wire hybrid OCC silver/copper cable, as stock. The review includes impressions of the cable. It is impeccably built.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aaw-canary.23659/reviews#review-22438

Canary-04.jpg

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #3,084 of 4,183
I got my Ares ll 4 wire to 8 wire conversion back, with the addition of a Psquared 2.5 plug. The Psquared is very interesting. It delivers more detail, more clarity and even better imaging within the soundstage. The change is quite apparent (from a regular 2.5 plug). I can clearly hear the differences between my two 8 wire Ares. For $50 it was well worth it.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,085 of 4,183
So I took the Wagnus Frosty Sheep Mastering edition and sent to Wagnus RMA for a diagnosis since I bought it used. I am thinkin of upgrading the standard 2 PIN connectors to Pure Copper Silver Plating. The 4.4 jack is already Pentacom OFC. But will it improve sound signature by changing it to Pure Copper Silver Plating ? Which one better?

Also, keeping a 2 PIN to MMCX converter, can they compromise the sound quality?

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #3,086 of 4,183
can i ask which cable is recommended with the tia trio to add more details to the mids and highs

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #3,088 of 4,183
not sure about the trio but an EA cleopatra is a good idea i think.
looks really nice, i will try first to search for a second hand one for 4.4 balanced and 2 pin

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #3,089 of 4,183
hi everyone, i am not a cable expert but I have the following cables which are not high end ones

OC STUDIO Monarach
EFFECT Audio Eros
And a cheap headlounge copper cable

All those cables are 8 cores and 2.5 balanced and i used my ak se100

and I do not know why with all my iems ( khan, tia trio , and qdc fusion ) I prefer the cheap copper cable

Maybe I should source out a great copper cable instead of those hybrid ones

With just copper I felt the timbre and tonality is more natural than the other 2 cables and I did not feel the copper lacks in detail compared to the other 2 cables, so it was rich sounding and detailed and tonality was prefered with copper. It strange as I thought the tia trio which is a bit warm would be more liked with cables like the monrach or effect audio one

Again I am not an expert at all in cables so I need advise

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #3,090 of 4,183
HeadphoneLounge cables aren't all that cheap (well, in comparison to expensive ones, yes, but they are well-made). Depending on the iem, I prefer copper as well. I had a couple of Moon Silver Dragons and one Moon Black Dragon. Liked them all, but they were dependent as well on source and iem. My last pair of Silver Dragons sounded great on my AK240SS but when I upgraded to an AKSP1000SS they sounded way too sibilant (using an Angie). Had to go back to the stock JH cable at that point, which I believe was copper.

Advice? If you like how it sounds, it's right for you..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back