High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 12, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #76 of 4,183
Wish I had a better camera.. My phone doesn't do the cable justice!
I'm actually letting go of my cable to try other options, as I seem to like how a colder cable sounds (winter).

As for impressions, I'll try to drop some impressions once I get a chance to compare it to other cables, but characteristics wise the cable is pretty much a typical spring cable: slightly warm, extends well up top and down low with nice sweet mids (without any particular tilt in any frequencies). I'd say it's a slightly warm and aggressive cable, to be paired with any neutral custom that you want to make more fun and warm sounding.

Interesting, keep us updated!

May 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #77 of 4,183
And now for some more wallet friendly cable options! Forgive the crappy pics, will make some better ones later.

Ortofon ec7S SPC ($140)

Starting with the Ortofon, a SPC mmcx factory made cable. The cable looks nicer in real life than t. The bottom the pic below. Below the splitter is shielded for instance, after the splitter it's just a single wire. I hadn't noticed it before on the website selling it. The shielding looks good, it gives it a nice quality finish. The connectors are a big large and chunky for my taste with 'Ortofon' written on it, but overall I find the cable looks very appealing. I'll try to make a nice high res pic later today.

I compared it a while back on the S-EM9 to the standard cable There's an improvement in the control of the mid-bass, it's slightly attenuated; this improves the clarity in the midrange and treble, lifting a bit of a veil off the midrange. The mid/upper treble regions also opened up a bit more, giving just that extra bit of sparkle and treble extension - giving a nudge to its overall resolution. The opened-up treble accentuates the S-EM9's slight U-shaped signature a bit more though; but more importantly, it just feels clearer and more precise. It's not a warm cable (though also not cold), the focus is on clarity. Mids are slightly more distant, and overall it gives it a bit more 'hi-fi' sound, but I like it. I think the price/value ratio is excellent at $140.

May 22, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #78 of 4,183
CC PH Copper cable with modular system ($190 / w modular $220)

CC PH is a Philippines based cable manufacturer, that makes headphone and iem cables. They currently offer one iem cable I believe, a hand-made copper cable. Its real selling point however, is a very clever modular system that is added at a very small extra cost of $30. The cable is terminated at 3.5mm trrs balanced for Hifiman/ZX2/Plenue S; but you also receive an adapter for the AK 2.5 mm trrs as well as a regular 3.5 mm trs. So one cable fits all balanced and regular systems, very handy for the modern audiophile that might have multiple different systems.

The cable has a solid build, with a standard copper-coloured 4-braid. Its tone is relatively neutral; it's neither particularly warm or bright, although it is warmer than neutral from the mid-bass. Mids are neither forward nor distant, and the treble is smooth. Full review coming soon with comparisons.

May 22, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #79 of 4,183
Lea'r C8 Copper & SPC hybrid with modular system ($155 / w modular $185)

Like the CC PH Copper, the Lea'r comes with a similar modular system that works on all balanced and regular systems. The cable itself is quite beautiful and unique, with twisted silver and orange strands rather than a regular braid. This gives the cable a somewhat exotic appearance, with a kind of Persian style flair. The cable is terminated as 2.5 mm trrs, but comes with an adapter for 3.5 mm trrs as well as regular 3.5 mm trs.

The C8 has a tonality that is more typical to SPC's rather than coppers; a focus on clarity, detail and note articulation, while the vocal placement is a bit more distant. Compared to the CC PH it has more clarity, while the CC PH is smoother. Overall, the cable has a bit of a U-shape, suited for those looking for more clarity. It discerns itself with its beautiful looks, and versatile modular system. This picture doesn't quite do it justice, but more impressions and better pics will follow.

May 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #80 of 4,183
Brief impressions of the 'Frosty Sheep', Wagnus' recently launched flagship cable.

The Frosty Sheep is a true high resolution cable; in fact it sits at the very top with cables as the Rhapsodio Wizard OCC, possibly even besting it. I had very high expectations of this cable, and hearing it its signature is slightly different than what I expected based, being less warm. But on the other hand I wasn't expecting this resolution.

With the S-EM9 the focus is on clarity, with a clear lift in the upper treble, making high hats more prominent, while the bass is slightly attenuated with less warmth from the mid-bass. It's not a cold cable however, with the Rhapsodio Silver Litz being colder for instance. Instead its neither warm or cold, but mostly clear. 

With the warmer Solar, the pairing is smooth and provides that midrange definition the Solar can use!

Needless to say, I am very pleased with this cable. And while I haven't listened long since it is still burning, it is already among my favourite cables. It sets the standard for detail, clarity and resolution!

May 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #81 of 4,183
Well written.

The cables interaction with the equipment, and the geographic location (and power company) will provide different results to different ears.  Many variables. One of the reasons why this is such a controversial subject!

LOL, not as ambitious an endeavor as MLK, and I am happy to say that no one will get hurt by providing their observations on cables!

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #87 of 4,183
Audiominor lineup impressions:

-'Celestine' silver/gold ($375)
-'Mahogany' copper ($260)
-'Marquise' silver/gold & copper hybrid ($350)

I recently received Audiominor's lineup to share some impressions. I came in contact with Bogac when I need some connectors and jacks changed for cables I wanted to sell, and we ended up talking a bit. Bogac is a kind-hearted soul, a true gentleman and genuine person. When you hang around in this business long enough you get to deal with a lot of different types, so I'm always very pleased with the positive exceptions - Bogac definitely belonging in that category.

Audiominor recently refreshed their website and lineup, and now feature three iem cables: a silver/gold alloy, copper and hybrid cables. All cables use a litz construction (each wire consists of multiple smaller wires). The cables have a high quality feel to them, with thick wires, a solid build construction and quality Eidolic components (plug, splitter and connectors; similar to Norne cables for instance), as well as a spherical wooden slider. However, the cables can be customised with different components to match personal taste. The wires are a bit stiffer, which makes them slightly less flexible than a thin stock cable, but not to the point you can't curl them up into a slim carrying case. All in all, the cables have the solid feel and looks of a quality upgrade cable. 

'Celestine' Silver/Gold Litz 
Audiominor's silver/gold has a recognisable tone, a classic signature for modern silver alloy cables: a clear sound with punchy bass and transparent treble. The cable does have a slight V-shape with less prominent lower mids and slightly enhanced treble. Instruments are well defined, and there's an apparent upgrade in overall resolution and detail retrieval from a stock cable. Vocals lack a bit of lower midrange fill, and do sound less deep and full especially compared to the Mahogany copper cable. The cable refrains from sounding cold or bright, as there is a pleasant warmth from the mid-bass that prevents it from sounding analytical. The Celestine is a cable that competes with cables as the Toxic Silver Widow, DHC Symbiote V3 Silver Litz, and Rhapsodio Luna to name a few; both in price and performance.

'Mahogany' Copper Litz
The Copper Mahogany is a beauty to behold with its dark brown, chocolate coloured wires. Generally coppers have that sort of pinkish orange look, but the Audiominor looks very classy indeed. The copper is smooth in the upper midrange and lower treble, and warm and lush, due to a thicker mid-bass presentation; yet the treble doesn't drown in the warmth. I've been listening to a lot of silvers last months, so I was very pleasantly surprised with the Mahogany. It gives a natural tone to a brighter iem like the Galaxy, but even when listening with the Solar with its enhanced mid-bass (usually best paired with a high resolution silver), the sound was a very musical combination of warmth with sparkly treble. Vocals are its strong suit; powered with warmth from the mid-bass, they sound emotional and deep. 

'Marquise' Silver/Copper Hybrid
The Marquise is the love baby of the former two, consisting of alternating silver/gold and copper litz wires. The silver/white and dark brown form a beautiful contrast, that remind me of the white and dark chocolate sprinkles I gobbled up as a kid. I've had a few hybrids before, but have never been a great fan of them so it took a while before I picked up the Marquise. But it might be the one that surprised me the most, mainly because of its spacious sounding stage. Its signature is very linear, with a controlled mid-bass and moderate warmth and treble; but in accordance with its mid-bass control, the separation is outstanding and the stage is airy and wider than the other two. A very pleasant and allround cable to listen to; it's well paired with a warmer iem like the Solar that gives it a cleaner stage, a brighter iem like the Galaxy or something more neutral like the S-EM9 or Apollo. 

All in all, Audiominor's cables left a very good impression and it's nice to see a fresh company being able to compete with the established companies like Whiplash and Toxic. Looking forward to hearing more in the future!

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #88 of 4,183
Recieved my custom 2.5 and I added a Plussound Copper/Gold cable. Stock cable connected to the Mojo sounded very good but the Plussound oo boy it scaled so high.

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #90 of 4,183
Those gold wires sure look nice! How would you describe its sound roughly?
open, wide sound stage, silky mids, sub bass increased and detailed treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back