High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jun 27, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #4,081 of 4,183
Dear All,
I’m sort of a “New Comer” to the world of High End IEMs and I’m toying with the idea of adding some suitable cables to my IEM collection.
My two primary models are Tia FOURTE & Custom ODIN, and secondary a Vision Ears Elysium.

My special requirement is that I’m not using my gear in mobile mode, but only stationary. Hence all my connectors from the HP-Amp have to be 4-pin XLR/balanced, and should be about 3 meter / 10 feet in length.
Needless to say that this does NOT make any cable cheap to start with….:scream:

At the moment I’m not urgently :wink: in buying mode, but I’m just following the discussions and suggestions presented here in this thread.

Regards

Urs

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4,082 of 4,183
What are the go-to cables for a dark, warm, full-bodied and bassy sound for the different brands? I heard that EA Leo II is a good bass cable. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #4,083 of 4,183
What are the go-to cables for a dark, warm, full-bodied and bassy sound for the different brands? I heard that EA Leo II is a good bass cable. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Perhaps Eletech Socrates might be what you are looking for

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #4,084 of 4,183
Having had both, I think the Cleopatra reaches a little bit deeper into the sub bass than the Leo II. And it all depends on how much you are interested in paying. In every brand, their mid priced cables should include a copper cable that one would presume would be a starting point for selecting a warmer signature. Plus Sound Audio, for example, offers their cables with copper, tri-copper, silver or gold plated copper, etc., and their website provides a brief description of what each composition provides soundwise. Often times, the same holds true for high end cables as well. Eletech just came out with the Ode to Laura cable, which sounds like it would provide a warm analog sound along with the detail that you would want in the upper registers.
Ode to Laura review by Twister6
I use a PW Audio First Times, that similarly provides more of a warm analog yet detailed flavor.
Ultimately, the level of warmth and bass is driven by the iem you select, with the cable making a much smaller impact. IMO

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #4,085 of 4,183
Dear All,
I’m sort of a “New Comer” to the world of High End IEMs and I’m toying with the idea of adding some suitable cables to my IEM collection.
My two primary models are Tia FOURTE & Custom ODIN, and secondary a Vision Ears Elysium.

My special requirement is that I’m not using my gear in mobile mode, but only stationary. Hence all my connectors from the HP-Amp have to be 4-pin XLR/balanced, and should be about 3 meter / 10 feet in length.
Needless to say that this does NOT make any cable cheap to start with….:scream:

At the moment I’m not urgently :wink: in buying mode, but I’m just following the discussions and suggestions presented here in this thread.

Regards

Urs
IEM's typically aren't used with that length of cable and/or connector plug. If resale is of any concern to you, you might consider getting a standard 1.2 or 1.5m cable with a 4.4mm balanced plug, with an additional long interconnect cable with a 4.4mm female and 4pin XLR male.......Just in case you ever decide to go portable with your iems, or want to sell the cable with your iems. Just a thought.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #4,086 of 4,183
Fiascogarcia,

Exactly what I’m currently doing: Some short cables are on the way. :slight_smile: with a 2.5 mm balanced plug & adapter cables.... just for the sake of it

I know that I’m a sort of a "lone wolf" with my stationary application of IEM’s…. :wink:

Regards

Urs

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #4,088 of 4,183

Just covered it in my review, Eletech Ode to Laura triple-copper cable.

eletech-laura-01.jpg

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #4,089 of 4,183
Just covered it in my review, Eletech Ode to Laura triple-copper cable.

Thanks! Was reading this one. Would love to hear your opinion on Aeneid vs Laura vs Socrates vs Fortitude.

My last cable was a gold-plated silver (Nobunaga Labs Supreme). Liked how it boosted mid bass and lower mids. Disliked its lack of subbass and a weird artificial-ness in the midrange and soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #4,090 of 4,183
Hi Edric,

The sound signature that you are looking for more like a Copper cable could deliver, Leo II is a great all rounder cable, but not delivering warm and bassy sounding.

You may consider the copper material made cable, from EA, we have recently launched Signature Series, you may check out Ares S and Eros S Which both give what you are looking for.

Suyang

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #4,091 of 4,183
This aftermarket cable thing would have been so much easier if everyone just offers angled plugs. Imagine looking at the the stock cables of major flagship IEMs like IE900, Xelento, IEX1, Z1R, SE846, A8000, UE18, JH Layla, who all came with angled plugs, and say yeah no we are gonna use a straight plug that is triple the size.

Cable thickness can't be an excuse when this exist. I would have purchased the 1960s on the spot back in 2016 if not for its gigantic straight plug. But then I remembered I'd have to go through the trouble of reterminating it, and take a huge hit in resale market.

Ughhh

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #4,093 of 4,183
You could have a look at the "Martini" made by Liquid Links. It's about $ 349,- .

I'm thinking about this one as well, but have no clue which IEM I could pair it with.
Palladium coated Silver + Gold coated Copper sounds interesting, I know that cool ass materials like palladium and gold help give lows and mids a smoother tonality. Let me know if you manage to find a good pairing. for me I matched my gold plated silver Chiron by effect audio with my VE8.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #4,094 of 4,183
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,095 of 4,183
Does anyone have experience with beat audio Orbital Saga? I've heard it's Big in Japan, but google doesn't give any English language impressions. I'm kinda curious about it. Beat audio cables look gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back