High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 6, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,961 of 4,183
Are there any honest cable makers out there? After reading about Toxic Cables, BTG-Audio, etc., I want to make sure I find the cable maker reputable since there is no review system. Just exploring mid to premium custom IEM cables at this time.
my go-to for cables are Norne and @doctorjuggles
Never been disappointed with either.

Edit: I should clarify that both consistently EXCEED my expectations. So much so that I’ll probably never buy from one of the “big brand” cable makers again. Just no need.

Norne has a forum on head-fi
Norne has a forum on head-fi
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nor...io-feedback-impression-thread.606500/page-354

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,962 of 4,183
What's just like the OSLO, but better? That is, neutral, natural, liquid and organic, but open, dynamic and resolving. Perhaps a TOTL pure copper cable? (or just buy an MMCX OSLO to eliminate the 2-pin adaptors on mine?

Want to limit my search to something I can get quickly, and for at or below $1000
Ironically, silver from DHC. Clone Silver or better Symbiote Elite 19. Some of the best cables I've had to try. And they do not change the tonal characteristics of the headphones, leaving them natural and honest. The new top DHC is more expensive, but you can buy for 800, if you are considering the secondary market. However, it is rare.

May 6, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #3,963 of 4,183
Are there any honest cable makers out there? After reading about Toxic Cables, BTG-Audio, etc., I want to make sure I find the cable maker reputable since there is no review system. Just exploring mid to premium custom IEM cables at this time.
There are so many reputable makers out there, strongly suggest to stay away some brands, the L brand also

May 7, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,964 of 4,183
May 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,965 of 4,183
Speaking of extortionate priced cables… This bad boy has been ordered, will share more when I have it.

22F81B96-3DA0-4AD0-B444-C6D407AE72A9.jpeg

May 9, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,966 of 4,183
Speaking of extortionate priced cables… This bad boy has been ordered, will share more when I have it.

Oh lord. Is that the Orpheus? That's a $6k cable!

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,968 of 4,183
A little less, but yeah once you pass a certain point it’s all sort of a blurry mess.
I am going guess you going sell the traiilli cable then.

May 9, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #3,970 of 4,183
I’m not sure, right now I don’t have any plans to. I’ve never really been a fan of parting out stuff and whenever the next best thing comes along I’m sure the new owner would want the stock cable too for the Traillii. We will see what happens though.
👍

May 9, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #3,972 of 4,183
May 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #3,973 of 4,183
Plussound has exceeded expectations with their recently released Limited Edition Tri-Hybrid. This is the first cable I have ever tried that I dare say flawless. Simply phenomenal. Enjoy and Happy Listening, as always! :)

Plussound Tri-Hybrid Review

photo_2021-05-10_22-29-37.jpg

May 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,974 of 4,183
Okay so I have spent about 4 hours or so with the Orpheus and the Traillii. Enough time for me to feel pretty confident about sharing some initial impressions and how i perceive the sound relative to the stock Traillii cable. I did do one quick A/B with the stock cable after some hours to confirm what I was hearing as differences between the two.

Some key words that come to mind when I hear the Orpheus: natural, organic, analogue, musical, smooth

So relative to the stock Traillii cable, the Orpheus brings the Traillii towards a thicker and smoother sound. The sound comes off as incredibly natural and analogue sounding to me while still being able to slice and dice up the music and present it in its finest level of detail. So as a result I perceive this to come off as more musical than the stock cable whilst still retaining the technical capabilities.

Again, anything I write is based off of a comparison to the stock configuration.

The bass to me with the Orpheus comes off as a bit more mid-bass oriented where the stock cable goes more for the sub bass, here is where I almost immediately preferred the stock cable. I was still using the stock tips and wasn’t a fan of the extra mid bass boom as I really love the way the Traillii does sub bass and it’s something I didn’t want to give up. I had to tip roll a bit and landed on the azla sedna light shorts and that managed to take the Traillii back to a more sub bass oriented signature whilst retaining the added mid bass of the Orpheus. So with the adjustments I made to tips this is a welcome’d change for me as I currently love my bass to be presented as a sub bass emphasis with quantity and quality.

The mid range on the Orpheus relative to the stock Traillii cable comes off as thicker, more musical, and smoother. There is added weight to the lower mid range which adds more body to male vocals and the upper mid range is SMOOTH as butter. Overall, I do hear the mid range to be pushed slightly more forward compared to the stock cable, as a result I perceive the overall soundstage to come off as slightly smaller than the stock cable but I think the trade-off here is more than worth it. Now the stock cable by any means to me does NOT come off as unnatural or smooth, but this manages to take it up a notch. Again, as a result of the extra body in the mid range and what I hear to be smoother transients, I feel the overall layering and separation of the Traillii is a little behind the stock cable (not sure if that’s something that will change with “cable burn in” but we will see).

I don’t have a whole bunch to say about the treble. It is almost identical to me, I hear the lower treble to be slightly less emphasized which as a result makes me hear a little more air in the upper treble. Overall, nothing crazy here or super noteworthy. Still stays in line with the rest of the signature retaining that smooth and musical sound.

As far as dynamics go, yes, this is the darkest background cable I have heard. Now it is impossible for me to even quantify or say how much better it is over the stock cable as it’s already incredibly good at doing that. I notice a little difference in smaller details in the sound popping out at me over stock. All I can say is that there is an improvement but it’s not as drastic or noticeable as the tonal differences between the cables themselves.

The Orpheus/Traillii combination reminds me VERY MUCH of the P6 Pro tonality, except here paired with the DX300 I hear a wider and more separated stage as well as more treble presence. For me personally, this is like a dream pair up as that type of sound is what I’ve been hunting for in the P6 Pro for so long but I never pulled the trigger because of the UI.

Some non sound related things:

- if you find the 1960s 4 wire uncomfortable or microphonic, you will find the same with the Orpheus
- no noticeable weight difference over the 1960s 4 wire, I am used to the weight of that by now so maybe coming from a smaller/thinner cable to the Orpheus would be more drastic, but no issues or discomfort or me.
- I have no clue what’s going on with the shielding part of the cable but you can legit bend and form it like it’s play-doh, there’s some interesting stuff going on in there, lol.
- the dark blue of the paracord is darker in person than in pictures, basically looks black from far away

TL;DR / Conclusion:

The stock cable 110% does not need changing and I fully understand why Oriolus have chosen it as the default cable, but there is plenty of wiggle room to adjust the sound if you feel the need to.

If you are looking for a smoother and more musical presentation for the Traillii which still manages to retain about 95% of the “analytical” presentation of the IEM, this is for you. To elaborate on this for example, say the stock cable puts technicalities and musicality at a 9 and 8 respectively, I would rank the Orpheus on like an 8.5 (lower in my honest opinion due to the thicker and smoother sound) for technicalities to a 10 on musicality.

Here’s a low quality photo of the pair together on my bed cover that I hope one day will be as famous as Twister’s countertop:

May 25, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #3,975 of 4,183
Okay so I have spent about 4 hours or so with the Orpheus and the Traillii. Enough time for me to feel pretty confident about sharing some initial impressions and how i perceive the sound relative to the stock Traillii cable. I did do one quick A/B with the stock cable after some hours to confirm what I was hearing as differences between the two.

Some key words that come to mind when I hear the Orpheus: natural, organic, analogue, musical, smooth

So relative to the stock Traillii cable, the Orpheus brings the Traillii towards a thicker and smoother sound. The sound comes off as incredibly natural and analogue sounding to me while still being able to slice and dice up the music and present it in its finest level of detail. So as a result I perceive this to come off as more musical than the stock cable whilst still retaining the technical capabilities.

Again, anything I write is based off of a comparison to the stock configuration.

The bass to me with the Orpheus comes off as a bit more mid-bass oriented where the stock cable goes more for the sub bass, here is where I almost immediately preferred the stock cable. I was still using the stock tips and wasn’t a fan of the extra mid bass boom as I really love the way the Traillii does sub bass and it’s something I didn’t want to give up. I had to tip roll a bit and landed on the azla sedna light shorts and that managed to take the Traillii back to a more sub bass oriented signature whilst retaining the added mid bass of the Orpheus. So with the adjustments I made to tips this is a welcome’d change for me as I currently love my bass to be presented as a sub bass emphasis with quantity and quality.

The mid range on the Orpheus relative to the stock Traillii cable comes off as thicker, more musical, and smoother. There is added weight to the lower mid range which adds more body to male vocals and the upper mid range is SMOOTH as butter. Overall, I do hear the mid range to be pushed slightly more forward compared to the stock cable, as a result I perceive the overall soundstage to come off as slightly smaller than the stock cable but I think the trade-off here is more than worth it. Now the stock cable by any means to me does NOT come off as unnatural or smooth, but this manages to take it up a notch. Again, as a result of the extra body in the mid range and what I hear to be smoother transients, I feel the overall layering and separation of the Traillii is a little behind the stock cable (not sure if that’s something that will change with “cable burn in” but we will see).

I don’t have a whole bunch to say about the treble. It is almost identical to me, I hear the lower treble to be slightly less emphasized which as a result makes me hear a little more air in the upper treble. Overall, nothing crazy here or super noteworthy. Still stays in line with the rest of the signature retaining that smooth and musical sound.

As far as dynamics go, yes, this is the darkest background cable I have heard. Now it is impossible for me to even quantify or say how much better it is over the stock cable as it’s already incredibly good at doing that. I notice a little difference in smaller details in the sound popping out at me over stock. All I can say is that there is an improvement but it’s not as drastic or noticeable as the tonal differences between the cables themselves.

The Orpheus/Traillii combination reminds me VERY MUCH of the P6 Pro tonality, except here paired with the DX300 I hear a wider and more separated stage as well as more treble presence. For me personally, this is like a dream pair up as that type of sound is what I’ve been hunting for in the P6 Pro for so long but I never pulled the trigger because of the UI.

Some non sound related things:

- if you find the 1960s 4 wire uncomfortable or microphonic, you will find the same with the Orpheus
- no noticeable weight difference over the 1960s 4 wire, I am used to the weight of that by now so maybe coming from a smaller/thinner cable to the Orpheus would be more drastic, but no issues or discomfort or me.
- I have no clue what’s going on with the shielding part of the cable but you can legit bend and form it like it’s play-doh, there’s some interesting stuff going on in there, lol.
- the dark blue of the paracord is darker in person than in pictures, basically looks black from far away

TL;DR / Conclusion:

The stock cable 110% does not need changing and I fully understand why Oriolus have chosen it as the default cable, but there is plenty of wiggle room to adjust the sound if you feel the need to.

If you are looking for a smoother and more musical presentation for the Traillii which still manages to retain about 95% of the “analytical” presentation of the IEM, this is for you. To elaborate on this for example, say the stock cable puts technicalities and musicality at a 9 and 8 respectively, I would rank the Orpheus on like an 8.5 (lower in my honest opinion due to the thicker and smoother sound) for technicalities to a 10 on musicality.

Here’s a low quality photo of the pair together on my bed cover that I hope one day will be as famous as Twister’s countertop:

NIIICE serial number😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back