High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jan 15, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #3,451 of 4,183
Effect Audio’s Thor Silver II sounds like what you’re looking for for the Lola. It brings body and midrange presence, whilst also taming the treble spike. Their Maestro is a good alternative, but I don’t know whether or not they can make a JH-ready version of it with 8 wires and the bass pod.

For the Angie, Han Sound Audio’s 8-wire Aegis would certainly add body without colouring the tone too much.
so the silver II they make can they make a jhaudio with 8 wires with bass boost, would the silver not add more details as that is not what i am looking for

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #3,452 of 4,183
Wow, you're obviously a huge fan of Grzegorz work. Owning already 3 of his models with 2 others on their way to you :astonished:

I don't own a SE5 Way, but was lucky that I could get a SE5 Ult on a loan for several weeks in a row.
The owner was also a reviewer on THL and he wrote: I tend to usually listen to the 5-Way with its stock cable, despite an adequate arsenal of cables on hand. It’s partially because the recessed silicone sockets can be a pain to use with upgrade cables, but mostly because the pairing works just fine. The 5-Way constructs a warmer stage structure, and the OFC’s warm tone seems to dissolve in it. There are enough cables that create an airier sound. But this isn’t a stage that was intended to sound analytically clean. Similarly, its laid-back treble might not have the most sparkle, but contributes to the naturalness of the presentation.

I didn't swap cables with his SE5 as I didn't want to take the risk damaging the sockets, it wasn't mine afterall. But if you really want more air / sparkle a silver cable would probably suit best.
If budget ain't an issue for you, you might want to try something like the EA Horus, as that cable brings a lot of air / clarity to the table.

Oh, and I'm not sure if a Chord Mojo (which you are looking for according to your signature) would be able to bring out the best out of the SE5. I really liked the pairing with my Lotoo Paw Gold. So maybe it's worth taking a look at their new daps (similar signature with blacker background) LP Touch and the Paw 6K as well.

Anyway, good luck with your cable hunt :ksc75smile:
Wow. Thank you very much for your response!

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #3,453 of 4,183
I am a happy new owner of an Athena 8 wire, and this cable is insane! I am absolutely blown away, by the performance of this cable. I am using it with my Noble K10U, and this pairing is incredible. The Athena cable is like adding a really good tube amp in the chain, and took my K10U to a completely new level of performance. With the Athena connected to my K10U, it is literally like a new dimension has opened up and things really became 3d like. The depth and height of the soundstage has increased, and sounds explode all around my head, coming from a completely black background. The bass hits hard and digs super deep, and the mids have this amazing euphonic texture, with the best vocals I have ever heard, and the highs have the perfect amount of sparkle for my taste. Words to describe the overall sound would be, organic/natural and powerful yet still resolving. This cable is worth every penny, and could make anyone a believer.

I just read what I wrote and it sounds like I might be exaggerating, but I am not. :wink:

Noble K10U + Satin Audio Athena 8 wire = ENDGAME :ksc75smile:

4PMTl2Kh.jpg
i was recommended this cable by music sanctury for my jhaudio lola, wonder if it will be better than ares or Exo gold plated copper .

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,454 of 4,183
i was recommended this cable by music sanctury for my jhaudio lola, wonder if it will be better than ares or Exo gold plated copper .
The Athena 8 wire is a beast! You want some bass extension and smooth but still well extended highs, and forward vocals, this is the cable. Makes my Ares II 4 wire sound thin, in comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,455 of 4,183
The Athena 8 wire is a beast! You want some bass extension and smooth but still well extended highs, and forward vocals, this is the cable. Makes my Ares II 4 wire sound thin, in comparison.
that is exactly what i want

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #3,456 of 4,183
that is exactly what i want
Satin is making some very nice stuff and their new hardware is supposed to be better quality, than their original shown in pics on the Music Sanctuary website.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,457 of 4,183

I heard that Athena 8w sounds similar to but a lot cheaper than lionheart 4w, while lionheart 4w is considered to be upgraded ver of Ares ii. Wonder how it pairs with my se5way.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,458 of 4,183
I heard that Athena 8w sounds similar to but a lot cheaper than lionheart 4w, while lionheart 4w is considered to be upgraded ver of Ares ii. Wonder how it pairs with my se5way.
I was actually looking at the Lionheart, before I got the Athena 8 wire. However, I have seen 3 Lionhearts that have turned green, listed in the classifieds recently, which I thought was strange and concerning.

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #3,459 of 4,183
I think you might have misunderstood that. The Athena uses similar materials to Leonidas II. Leonidas II 4W is $888, while the Athena 8W is $799, Lionheart 4W is $499. From what I understand the Athena competes more with Leonidas II although they are not exactly the same, see the comparison here.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #3,460 of 4,183
I think you might have misunderstood that. The Athena uses similar materials to Leonidas II. Leonidas II 4W is $888, while the Athena 8W is $799, Lionheart 4W is $499. From what I understand the Athena competes more with Leonidas II although they are not exactly the same, see the comparison here.

Thanks for the input!

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #3,461 of 4,183
I read that review and that is exactly how I am hearing it.

The Athena 8 wire is an Audiophile/Basshead's dream cable and it fits my sound preferences paired with my K10U perfectly.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #3,462 of 4,183
How about a budget cable from high-end cable manufacturer? Check out PWA No.10 review, their latest 10-year anniversary cable :)

pwa_no10-01.jpg

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #3,463 of 4,183
How about a budget cable from high-end cable manufacturer? Check out PWA No.10 review, their latest 10-year anniversary cable :)

As an owner and big fan of the K10U, it is always nice to read your cable reviews! Thanks for always throwing the K10U comparison in there. :ksc75smile: Looks like I won't be going for the no. 10., because I definitely dont need any more top end.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,464 of 4,183
As an owner and big fan of the K10U, it is always nice to read your cable reviews! Thanks for always throwing the K10U comparison in there. :ksc75smile: Looks like I won't be going for the no. 10., because I definitely dont need any more top end.

That is exactly the reason why I have in preamble of my cable reviews "...the sound change introduced by a specific cable is not universal because it will depend on the design and the synergy between the source and earphones or headphones under test." :wink: Many people assume that because a particular cable pair up works with one IEM, the sound finetuning will be universal, but it's not always the case. I was a bit surprised myself, but that's how I hear it when pairing K10U with No.10. While, with RE2k it was a huge change in a positive direction :D

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #3,465 of 4,183
That is exactly the reason why I have in preamble of my cable reviews "...the sound change introduced by a specific cable is not universal because it will depend on the design and the synergy between the source and earphones or headphones under test." :wink: Many people assume that because a particular cable pair up works with one IEM, the sound finetuning will be universal, but it's not always the case. I was a bit surprised myself, but that's how I hear it when pairing K10U with No.10. While, with RE2k it was a huge change in a positive direction :D
You are much appreciated! I have really been enjoying cable rolling with my iems vs. my full sized cans. With iems, it is so much easier to pick up on the differences. I actually just a got an "out for delivery" notice, for my Satin Audio Hyperion 8 wire, and can't wait to see how that pairs up with my K10U and Savant II. :ksc75smile: All in all, I am really happy with my K10U & Satin Athena 8 wire pairing, so I am hoping the Hyperion 8 wire is going to pair well with my Savant II. Please keep using your K10U's, with your cable reviews. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back