High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,773 of 4,183
New baby in the house, PWaudio Saladin, love how it widens the soundstage and extend nicely the treble, perhaps the best cable (yet?) for the Fibae3.

IMG_4746.jpg

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,774 of 4,183
New baby in the house, PWaudio Saladin, love how it widens the soundstage and extend nicely the treble, perhaps the best cable (yet?) for the Fibae3.

I see you got the + version, very nice pick! :D This was one of my favourite cables at CanJam SG and I can't wait to revisit it sometime in the future. Enjoy, man! :wink:

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,779 of 4,183
what matters more, wire material or wire count? I haven't had the chance to audition any cables but I read that increasing wire count generally increases performance.

Audiophiles have been debating whether or not cables make a difference since before Jesus Christ, so I don't think you'll find a definitive answer here. My opinion:

Wire quality matters most- get something with high purity from an honest cable maker. Anyone who claims to make a 7n silver cable is probably lying.

Increasing wire count generally increases performance, but there might not be an audible effect in headphone/iem cables because sound travels such a short distance between dap and headphones/iems. The absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence though and you'll find plenty of well-respected audiophiles (paging: Dr. Nic) who find there is a difference that manufacturers manipulate to get certain sound characteristics for their cables. Best thing to do is demo some cables and see if you hear a difference.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #1,780 of 4,183
what matters more, wire material or wire count? I haven't had the chance to audition any cables but I read that increasing wire count generally increases performance.

Both influence the overall cable’s sound for sure, but the proportion is highly dependent on the manufacturer and their processes. Higher wire counts also don’t guarantee “better” performance, especially subjectively-speaking. I personally love the 4-wire Lionheart considerable more than the 8-wire, the signature of my 2-wire 1960s is more agreeable than that of the 4-wire, etc.

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #1,781 of 4,183
Determining the quality of cables is a very complex matter, since there are a lot of variables that interact and contribute in different ways. If it's just choosing between wire material (e.g. silver versus copper) and wire count (e.g. 4 vs 8 wire), I would say those are probably the least relevant factors :)

More important is the wire quality (e.g. purity, single crystal core, OCC, cryo, etc.) regardless of its material (a copper can be better than a silver and vice versa), and the strand count or geometry: how many individual tiny wires make up one large wire, and their diameter. An individual wire can consist of 10 small strands, or 80, or even 200. This number, combined with the quality of the material, will be a primary factor determining the price and performance. In addition, the connectors and solder will also influence the signature and performance.

When it comes to number of wires, it's a bit like BA count in iems. It has a large and easy appeal to think that an 8-wire cable is better than a 4-wire cable, but this only holds true when it is applied to the same wire (a random 8-wire is not better than a random 4-wire). Even then, it doesn't always have to be the case. Sometimes there is an improvement in performance or change in signature, but this is not automatically so. There are some pretty impressive multi-wire cables like the Labkable Titan and SilverFi IEM-R4/R5 with resp. 10 and 12 wires, but these cables were designed this way rather than just being doubled-up versions, so it's hard to attribute their performance (primarily) to the wire count.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #1,782 of 4,183
Insulator used is also necessary.

But price range can tell the quality trend most just not in linear trend.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,784 of 4,183
Cross Lambda, a newly-born cable brand from Thailand, is going to prove their quality and service on global market. If you see the brand in any audiophile event, please give it a try.

超级截屏_20180428_072024.png

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,785 of 4,183
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back