High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Mar 7, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,651 of 4,183
Mar 7, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,652 of 4,183
@cthomas : I ever tried their IEM which comes together with their stock cable. The cable is moderately soft. I didn't hear particular microphonics. From your link, the 4.4 mm plug version, you will get the best grade 4.4 mm. Pentaconn OFC plug.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #1,653 of 4,183
Yeah that plug is very expensive. Was considering getting a custom cable made with the OFC plug 'til I saw this cable.

My main concern was stiffness and microphonics, I couldn't find any user reviews so I was going by reviews of their IEM which uses a similar looking cable. A few others have also said it was a good cable. Just looks like it might be a little stiff from the photos I've seen.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,656 of 4,183
Wyville would you happen to know if PlusSound's Silver + Gold range of cables utilize the same wire as EA's Leonidas? The way you describe this particular cable's sonics make it seem very similar yet it is less than half the price.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,657 of 4,183
Wyville would you happen to know if PlusSound's Silver + Gold range of cables utilize the same wire as EA's Leonidas? The way you describe this particular cable's sonics make it seem very similar yet it is less than half the price.

The Leonidas is an entirely different cable - both physically and sonically. The PlusSound SG is 99% silver injected with 1% gold. The Leonidas is a silver-and-gold hybrid with a much larger ratio of gold (compared to the PS cable). In terms of sound, the Leonidas has more body in the sub-bass. The PlusSound cable draws more of its impact from a denser, more concentrated mid-bass, while the Leo is rumblier and more visceral. The Leonidas is thicker in the lower-midrange and more laidback as well. The PlusSound SG, by comparison, is more forwardly-placed and upper-midrange-focused. As a result, vocal articulation is cleaner and crisper on the SG, while the Leo is more subdued. The Leo's clarity peak lies in the lower-treble, where the SG is calmer. As a result, there's a tizziness in instruments like hi-hats and hotly-mastered vocals, while the SG remains smooth despite its transparency. I find the SG more extended and present in the upper-treble, resulting in an airier response. The Leo is relatively clean as well, but there's a slight attenuation in the upper-treble that gives it a softer feel. However, this comes at the cost of some incoherency with relation to the lower-treble peak.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,658 of 4,183
Thanks for that fantastic answer Deezel!

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,659 of 4,183
Here's the PW No.5 with Furutech carbon 4.4mm plug, Eidolic connectors and Mundorf solder. I purchased this on a recent trip to Singapore and the guys at Music Sanctuary, bless their hearts, whipped it up on the spot!

The ergonomics are superb with very soft insulation, and the cable is supple with no memory effect. I couldn't detect any microphonics at all. Will also say the Eidolic connectors are a god send. The pins smoothly slide into all of my iems.

Sounds like heaven with the Noble Savants and spinfits.

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,660 of 4,183
Here's the PW No.5 with Furutech carbon 4.4mm plug, Eidolic connectors and Mundorf solder. I purchased this on a recent trip to Singapore and the guys at Music Sanctuary, bless their hearts, whipped it up on the spot!

The ergonomics are superb with very soft insulation, and the cable is supple with no memory effect. I couldn't detect any microphonics at all. Will also say the Eidolic connectors are a god send. The pins smoothly slide into all of my iems.

Sounds like heaven with the Noble Savants and spinfits.

Can't find any convenient way to get hold of eidolic parts in sg anymore. They had some in stock?

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,661 of 4,183
If one day I ever find the right IEM that I have fallen inlove with I would certainly include Nideon cable part of my to try list. It is one of those brands that few know, and for a reason because they simply work on limited quantity release.

Recently I heard their NTC-300 cable is running out and once that is done there is no more of them. Sadly cant afford it but such is life.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,662 of 4,183
Can't find any convenient way to get hold of eidolic parts in sg anymore. They had some in stock?

The Eidolic connectors were ordered from Trevor at Norne. Very fast shipping so there are some more on the way :wink: They really should be standard on all iem cables.

I'll post some thoughts on the PW No.5 in the next few days, hayfever is in full swing here in Tokyo and I got a fist full of pollen today. Needless to say there were some issues with the PW No.5 initially and Deezel's previous post on ear tips is 100% relevant here.

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,663 of 4,183
Hello cable friends - thought I would post up a recent one I bought from David at Triton Audio Cables. While the price is not high-end, the materials, workmanship and sound quality most certainly are. It is a pure silver cable with Eidolic connectors and an 8-braid design that is very compact and comfortable. The wires are 26awg and while David is most known for his Triton8 hybrid cable (4 wires silver, 4 wires copper), he made this one specially for me. It sounds magnificent on my Unique Melody Mason with a clear, open and very natural sound. Sub-bass clarity is increased over the 4-wire cable I had previously and everything comes together nicely in the top end as well. Overall super pleased with this.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180310153015865_COVER.jpg

image.jpeg

-Collin-

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,665 of 4,183
idk if i should post this in the help forums, i wanted to ask about 8 wire cables and acrylic ciems. will the weight exhibit pressure on the inside surface of the ear? I'm most interested in the lionheart 8 wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back