High End Headphone Myth
Mar 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #136 of 152
Yeah, meets are great although lately I find that I would always chit-chat more often with fellow audiophiles rather than testing out new gears.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #137 of 152
Well how ironic. I was doing my normal listening, and the right headphone started fading in and out on my HD580. I changed sources and it was the same. I switched left and right cables and sure enough, the right cable just went in-op. I was able to make it work if i pressed on it, but that stopped working to. Loose or broken cable it seems. Already ordered new cable from Sennheiser (was a HD650 cable) 2day express. That means me and my pal skull candy are gonna be hanging out for the next few days....
triportsad.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #138 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That means me and my pal skull candy are gonna be hanging out for the next few days....
triportsad.gif

Skull Candy is nobody's "pal"...

hope your new cable arrives asap for your sake.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #139 of 152
I think I have sadly adjusted to these skull candys. For some reason, Sennheiser wont ship my cable until next week (a week after I ordered them). Anyone else have this experience?

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #140 of 152
Wow, good to know. I ordered a 650 cable yesterday. Usually they are really good about shipping things.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #141 of 152
I've been reading through this rather old thread and would like to see some graphs backing up these opinions. So sorry if I am bumping this. I want to see the frequency response of headphones connected to an iPod vs a decent amp 'AT THE SAME MEASURED dB'. I want to see if there 'REALLY IS' a difference in the frequency response measured.

I note the distinct lack of evidence other than hearsay. I see frequency response graphs all the time but only on the measured device (For instance a set of cans attached to a Fiio E7). I have yet to see a 'direct' comparison graph of a set of cans connected to an iPod and then connected to an amp.

Until then I say it's all opinion and BS walks etc.

Anyone up for the challenge? How about that dude from innerfidelity? :wink:

BTW I am asking this because the human ear/brain is FAR too subjective. Everyone hears something different and there is also the placebo effect. I prefer cold hard science!

In before excuses about how the sound changes at a given volume so a direct dB comparison doesn't count. Yeah yeah I am poo pooing that one right now. :p

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #144 of 152
imo, a good amp makes a huge difference.

when i had a basic 200 dollar headphone amp, it was a night and day difference compared to directly out of my soundcard or ipod. when i got the wa6-se, the difference was even bigger.....

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #145 of 152
Tyll at innerfidelity.com has it in mind to do such measurements, however the science behind amps and their performance is far from being a mystery.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #146 of 152
I know it's not 100% but from the readings I have seen from innerfidelity they pretty much tie in with the frequency response given by the manufacturers so I trust his measurements more than most. You can talk to me about how great an amp sounds compared to a portable player until you are blue in the face. I want to see proper graphs proving it.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #147 of 152
For certain headphones you will definitely need an amp. I have not heard the HE-6, but try driving it from an Ipod, and see if it even gets remotely loud enough for listening.

And Ipod can't drive electrostatic headphones...
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #148 of 152
If people volume and impedance matched their headphones to the source by either choosing the right source and/or the right headphones, and add external amplification as a last resort and for the purpose of amplification only (which basically precludes anything over $200), basically nobody would have a problem with sound quality. everything else is a circlejerk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back