High End Headphone Myth
Mar 28, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #121 of 152
In The Seattle Area we average 4 meets a year. It just takes a little determination. You have to make your opportunity to listen to gear. The more gear you listen to, the easier it is to define your sound.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #122 of 152
Ya, its very difficult to demo stuff. Forget retail, you just gotta be lucky enough to find a head fi local meet.

Lucky I have found something that I do unquestionably like. Sennheiser HD580+.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #123 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, its very difficult to demo stuff. Forget retail, you just gotta be lucky enough to find a head fi local meet.

Lucky I have found something that I do unquestionably like. Sennheiser HD580+.

I know how you feel. It took 2 years to get the MS2's. The MS2's get more love right now with my rig. It is just the music I listen to at the moment. Guitars, guitars, guitars.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #125 of 152
Circa 2002, my wife got me a pair of hd600 (what I asked for), to upgrade my Sony VR6, that were falling apart. My Sony cdp had a HP out, with a little volume control, which kicked butt with the vr6. I also used these at work with a small cdp, again, which was loud, but, very fatiguing - max 2 hours at a stretch.

I open the box on Christmas morning, and could not wait to listen. After completing all the family obligations, I sat down promptly at 8pm that night to hear audio euphoria - not at all to be. Not enough volume, no soundstage, no air, no microdetail. I literally felt flattened, defeated, and mildly depressed.

Not the last time I have ever felt that with audio equipment either.
angry_face.gif

So, I started searching - I needed an amp, and, well, for a princely sum of about $300 (iirc), there was a Creek OBH-11 - a snotty little beast that would, and did, make the hd600 what I thought they would be... until I built my first DIY amp, and joined HF - to (you guessed it) sell the OBH-11.

Life is a series of choices, and audiophilia finds it's own level within each of us. There is no right or wrong answer, so, no one can say 'amps are (insert praise or damnation here)'. It simply is not so, as everyone finds their own answer.

Seems we revisit this all the time (and, why a lot of more seasoned members never post in these threads), because someone always wants to throw up the 'amps don't matter / too expensive', sometimes for nothing more than Devil's Advocacy, or Troll of the Year ambitions (NOT at all implying that here).

The written word is useless - it is what you hear that matters.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #126 of 152
Quote:

I'm wondering, what then would be a sufficient amp for the HD580/600 in the $400-$600 range? WA6? What else?

The Burson HA-160 was designed especially for the HD650. I have not heard it personally, but it seems to have a very good reputation here and is just a bit beyond your stated price range.

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #127 of 152
I am listening to my HD580 right out of the motherboard right now, and it sounds good. Looks like its time to get ride of this dac/amp I have. Only thing holding me back will be the lack of volume knob. 200 dollars for a volume knob... :/

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #128 of 152
Quote:

I am listening to my HD580 right out of the motherboard right now, and it sounds good. Looks like its time to get ride of this dac/amp I have. Only thing holding me back will be the lack of volume knob. 200 dollars for a volume knob... :/

OK? Dude you have to a get a clue with these cans. You can't tell me something Crazy??? 200.00 volume knob? Come on now? I own them with some great supporting gear. And I have some really cool gear.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #130 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the thread starter should attend CanJam 2010. Shouldn't be too far away given the "Midwest" location.

X2, Meets do feed the soul. Can't wait till the next one. And I have been to a few.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #131 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK? Dude you have to a get a clue with these cans. You can't tell me something Crazy??? 200.00 volume knob? Come on now? I own them with some great supporting gear. And I have some really cool gear.

lol, I'm only posting what I hear.
normal_smile .gif

I am going to start browsing the meeting forums for local head-fi meets. I would love to hear some real high level gear with my HD580.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #133 of 152
@Crazy*Carl
Seriously think twice before you go to a meet. If you catch the audiophile disease then you will develop a bad relationship with your wallet. If you honestly love the sound of your cans as they are then love them and leave it at that. BTW you can just get one of the more expensive soundblaster cards that gives you a volume knob on the front of your case (or on a separate box).
wink.gif

@MomijiTMO
We should just get this two person meet going... although if you can wait a while I may have some nice new gear by then.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #135 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Crazy*Carl
Seriously think twice before you go to a meet. If you catch the audiophile disease then you will develop a bad relationship with your wallet. If you honestly love the sound of your cans as they are then love them and leave it at that. BTW you can just get one of the more expensive soundblaster cards that gives you a volume knob on the front of your case (or on a separate box).
wink.gif

@MomijiTMO
We should just get this two person meet going... although if you can wait a while I may have some nice new gear by then.

I wouldn't be here if I was fully satisfied with the sound........
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back