High-end Headphone Decision
Sep 16, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #16 of 42
If you like the Denon D7100, there's a decent chance you'd like the Fostex TH900. Not that I've heard the D7100 (actually I have, but that's not my point) but Fostex used to make Denon's headphones (the D2000, D5000, and D7000) and a lot of other people have said that the TH900 is something like an upgraded D7000. I can't personally speak to that though. I did own the TH900 for a while though, and I thought it was awesome.

I wrote reviews of the LCD-3 and TH900 btw. I was able to compare the LCD-3 directly to the HD800, unfortunately wasn't lucky enough to still have the HD800 when I had the TH900 though.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd3-planar-magnetic-headphone/reviews/10298
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-900/reviews/10204

I'm getting the Sennheiser HD 800 and would recommend it, especially for classical.  
If you research this site, you will find that most agree it is much better than the LCD-3 for that genre.

My counter-opinion on both the HD800 and LCD-3 is that neither are really ideal for classical. The LCD-3 completely lacks musical dynamics, clarity, and scale. And the HD800 got tone all wrong, and has an overdone soundstage. It's one of the last headphones I'd personally recommend for classical. The only in-production full-size headphones I'd personally recommend for classical music are the HD600 and TH900. (For out-of-production, the Grado HP1000 and Stax OII MKI.)

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 42
Anyone like the humble dt150 for classical?:)

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #18 of 42
  My advice is somewhat independent of musical taste. Go LCD3 if you want a safe option and aren't feeling too adventurous with such a large sum of money. It is very neutral, natural, and just all around amazing. I can't possibly understand how someone can not enjoy an LCD3 (or something like an HE-6 or HD800). That's why they are all so highly praised with very minor complaints. If you are feeling really really adventurous and want to take a plunge into something that you can possibly not like or want a piece of equipment that no one else has (making you a very unique audiophile), try something like the Edition 5 or maybe even the Edition 10/Edition 8 Limited. They can be found for very reasonable prices on the classifieds. Ultrasone is a very love-hate brand, but their products are more exotic and harder to come by so if you actually dig their sound, you'll be quite happy. Top end headphones from Hifiman, Audeze, and Sennheiser are just solidly engineered and the chances of you honestly feeling buyers remorse are much more slim than any other headphone you can purchase at these prices. 

I quote Inner Fidelity's review of the Edition 10:

"Oh. My. Goodness! My senses feel assaulted … as would my wallet, if I had had to pay for these. With every smack of the snare and blare of a trumpet my eyes wince in pain. Fast transient edges are transformed into indiscriminate micro-bursts of tizz. Likewise, low notes are powerful, but have lost all definition as they are reduced to a bloated blur. The mid-range seems like it could be pretty good, but I hear it as so disconnected from all else that I could hardly keep track of what’s what in the confused aural picture. I’ve heard worse headphones before, but for $2749 these have got to be the worst price/performance headphones I’ve ever experienced."

It seems you are right on the bifurcation of opinions on Ultrasone. I actually do feel a certain curiosity to hear the Edition 10. As a matter of fact now that I have really pondered about my options I am realizing I probably do not have a choice: If I buy either the Sennheiser or Audeze I will always be left wondering how the Edition 10 or the Pandora X would have sounded, and why I could let an opportunity like that slip.

I will contact the reseller to inquire what sort of possiblities there are.

Dun read me wrong bro..i am a DENON FAN..the D7k is one of my favourite cans...
i used to just sit infront of the percussion section in a concert band, so i need to FEEL the bass. :p
Classicals without palpable bass is a little tepid to me.
The hd800 just didnt satisfy me, owned it twice.

Think there is a typo..it is "FANFARE TO THE COMMON MAN"..not PEOPLE..
it is a testsong of mine, from Copland by Eiji Oue.

Okay, now it makes more sense to me. I also think bass is an important part of classical music, since in most cases the composer wanted you to really feel the vibration and tension of the music it being a trait of the instruments and all.

Regards.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 42

I quote Inner Fidelity's review of the Edition 10:

"Oh. My. Goodness! My senses feel assaulted … as would my wallet, if I had had to pay for these. With every smack of the snare and blare of a trumpet my eyes wince in pain. Fast transient edges are transformed into indiscriminate micro-bursts of tizz. Likewise, low notes are powerful, but have lost all definition as they are reduced to a bloated blur. The mid-range seems like it could be pretty good, but I hear it as so disconnected from all else that I could hardly keep track of what’s what in the confused aural picture. I’ve heard worse headphones before, but for $2749 these have got to be the worst price/performance headphones I’ve ever experienced."

It seems you are right on the bifurcation of opinions on Ultrasone. I actually do feel a certain curiosity to hear the Edition 10. As a matter of fact now that I have really pondered about my options I am realizing I probably do not have a choice: If I buy either the Sennheiser or Audeze I will always be left wondering how the Edition 10 or the Pandora X would have sounded, and why I could let an opportunity like that slip.

I will contact the reseller to inquire what sort of possiblities there are.

Okay, now it makes more sense to me. I also think bass is an important part of classical music, since in most cases the composer wanted you to really feel the vibration and tension of the music it being a trait of the instruments and all.

Regards.

Be quite careful and make sure the reseller has a return policy for cans that cost this much. There's a decent chance you might not like something like the Edition 10/12/5 due to their rather 'interesting' sound signature. If the reseller has a generous return policy there's no use in asking anyone on head fi for advice. Let your ears decide. You'll notice that some people really have quality praise and critique for the ED10 like David Mahler. Personally, I'd still recommend you go with high end planar magnetic headphones unless you really like the aesthetics of the ED10 or Pandora X or are worried about the power requirements of the planars. The ED10s can be run off an iPhone and sound just as good as they would through most amps. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 42
Sent the reseller a mail about the Ultrasone.

Seeing as how the Ultrasone has no balanced cables the Schiit Mjolnir will be out of the equation. Looking at the Asgard II at the moment since it is not such a demanding headphone to begin with, but I am still curious to know what other recommendations people would have for these cans.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Regards.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 42
Any response is a good response.

It is always interesting to see the diversity by almost everyone giving a different recommendation with their own arguments. This is why these forums exist of course--to talk about our hobby.

Yes the T1 has crossed my mind as well, but that was for my previous purchase and decided I would rather go for the AH-D7100; they are in the same price range after all. Right now I am looking for a serious upgrade from the Denon (naturally price does not mean everything, but not everyone without a budget is buying sub 1000$ headphones in favor of the other top-end models).

I apologize by the way for not spotting the "This is helpful" button before. Added reputation to most comments made now.

The reseller has responded and informed me returning will not be a problem. So as soon as I have the money required I will place my order and shipping time will be about a week. I am definitely excited to hear these phones. I am at the very least confident they went for quality on their design, I mean they have a very high quality ~500 MB scan .zip file on their website just for their pictures. Once I receive them I will thoroughly test them and post my experience here.

Of course I am not saying this discussion should end either; I am still open to any input and my choice of headphone can probably be swayed to any brand.

Regards.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #24 of 42
  Sent the reseller a mail about the Ultrasone.

Seeing as how the Ultrasone has no balanced cables the Schiit Mjolnir will be out of the equation. Looking at the Asgard II at the moment since it is not such a demanding headphone to begin with, but I am still curious to know what other recommendations people would have for these cans.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Regards.

So which Ultrasone did you end up going with? Keep us updated on how you like them. 

Also, yes, the mixed reviews aside, the one great thing about Ultrasone headphones is that they sound world class even if they are powered from an iPhone or a high end audio chain. You barely need to think about any amping requirements so don't really put too much thought into Asgard vs. Mjolnir or other amps. They should only be an optional power up rather than a necessity. If you got something like the HE-6 or LCD-3, you'd need an amp as a requirement, but the Ultrasones sound almost as good from a tiny power source. They just don't need much power at all for their maximal quality. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 42

If I buy either the Sennheiser or Audeze I will always be left wondering how the Edition 10 or the Pandora X would have sounded, and why I could let an opportunity like that slip.

I passed on the Hd-800 for a long time and finally got one.    Face the music. LOL    You will have to try the #1 reference standard sooner or later.     If I had, it would have slowed my headphone collecting. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #27 of 42
  there is a new TOTL kid on the block....SONY Z7....70mm drivers...

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-z7

3 Hz to 100 kHz?
"High-Resolution Audio compatible"?
70 mm drivers?

Yeah, would definitely not jump the gun on that one without several reliable reviews.

Still, just got done watching Godzilla with lossless audio on my 7100--remarkable. Definitely made me less confident about my current plans to order the Edition 10. Asking myself questions like how the TH-900 or the LCD-3 would sound. How much of an upgrade is the TH-900 compared to Denon's 7000 series? The price difference isn't all that big, and I do not peg Denon as a company to charge unnecessary premiums.

Regards.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #28 of 42
Still, just got done watching Godzilla with lossless audio on my 7100--remarkable. Definitely made me less confident about my current plans to order the Edition 10. Asking myself questions like how the TH-900 or the LCD-3 would sound. How much of an upgrade is the TH-900 compared to Denon's 7000 series? The price difference isn't all that big, and I do not peg Denon as a company to charge unnecessary premiums.

Why in the world would you get the Edition 10 after reading about how horrible they sound and overpriced they are, especially in comparison to the established flagships? I mean, sure, variety is the spice of life, but that model is something I would only even consider touching after I'd amassed a respectable collection of the best headphones. As for your comments about quality, Ultrasone specialize in luxury headphones. Their website and the materials and construction of the headphone is fancier than how they actually sound. At least you can return them, but I still think it's a waste of your time.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #29 of 42

Why in the world would you get the Edition 10 after reading about how horrible they sound and overpriced they are, especially in comparison to the established flagships? I mean, sure, variety is the spice of life, but that model is something I would only even consider touching after I'd amassed a respectable collection of the best headphones. As for your comments about quality, Ultrasone specialize in luxury headphones. Their website and the materials and construction of the headphone is fancier than how they actually sound. At least you can return them, but I still think it's a waste of your time.

I am probably getting the Edition 10 primarily because I do not want to waste my current and probably only chance I have at buying it. If I go the easy and safe route and just pick the LCD-3 based on overwhelming positive reviews I am sure I will be happy with what I got--for a few days. After those few days though my curiosity for the other more expensive model and how it would have sounded will commence to gnaw away at me. What is more is that two previous headphones I have owned that I blindly purchased based on primarily positive reviews were really not to my liking, in spite of specifically searching for keywords in reviews for those models.

If the Edition 10 ends up not being what I am looking for I have the certainty to get my money back no questions asked. So the only reason I can think of not to try them out is the extra waiting time this is going to cause.

Still, I have not ordered anything yet, and If a sudden flood of members were to post about how they really do not sound like floorstanding speakers / rich upper mids / lackluster bass then I might be swayed to just go the save route and be done with it.

Regards.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #30 of 42
Are u keen on tube amps..? 
How about a DECWARE CSP3 preamp+ TABOO 3 tube amp...plus a LCD2  headfone ?
( specially designed for the LCD can )

Listening to classicals on my LCD2 now...quite a treat, but i dun own the Taboo yet... arrrghh$$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back