High End Bluetooth Headphones
Jan 7, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #556 of 894

Saw this in another article:

Building on last year’s MDR-1A headphones, the MDR-1 ABT headphones offer an outstanding mix of comfort with quality. Ergonomic earpads and a wraparound design offer great passive noise isolation, while the lightweight, responsive aluminum coated Liquid Crystal Polymer Film diaphragms allow the MDR-1 ABT to offer balanced sound reproduction.

What’s new is the option of hands-free talk with echo cancellation and noise suppression, which allows you to take calls from your smartphone directly on the MDR-1 ABT with the same excellent audio quality. Also, touch sensor controls now run on the outside of the cups, allowing you to easily control your music without having to pull your phone out.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #557 of 894
Isn't there a definitive difference between the MDR-1RBT and the MDR-1RBTMK2? Aptx, etc?

Some posed a question on the Amazon page for the 1RBT asking about the differences and two different people from Sony Support USA said they were identical...odd or no??

Copied from Amazon on the "questions" page about the 1RBT model:

Hi, this Sony Headphone unit is the same unit as the first one, with the same specifications all in all. -Ely
Sony Support USA MANUFACTURER answered on November 14, 2014
Comments (2) | Do you find this helpful?

ZZZ said on January 6, 2015
So MK1 or MK2?
Sony Support USA said on January 7, 2015
Hi Zzz, this model is MK1. But again, MK1 and MK2 are identical. -Vincent

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #558 of 894
My understanding is that the BT Smart / LE connectivity available in 4.0 is only applicable to wearable devices, such as smart watches, fitness trackers etc, and has an separate communication channel that was designed specifically for low bandwith transmission / low battery discharge.

Unless I'm mistaken there isn't much (or any?) difference in the way 4.0 handles audio vs 3.0.

BT 4.0 has been available since 2010.  The reason headphone manufacturers have not been quick to adopt it is because it has allegedly not had much relevance on the sound quality or power efficiency.

At the moment, Sony is the undisputed leader in the BT headphone battery life despite not having yet adopted 4.0 in any of its models.

I happened to own Sony DR-BTN200, which are highly portable and easily get the claimed 40 hours on BT 3.0, so saying that 3.0 is hard on the battery does not make sense to me.

BT 4.1 is already out, by the way, but it doesn't mean that audio enthusiasts should care - it has nothing for us.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #559 of 894
Isn't there a definitive difference between the MDR-1RBT and the MDR-1RBTMK2? Aptx, etc?

Some posed a question on the Amazon page for the 1RBT asking about the differences and two different people from Sony Support USA said they were identical...odd or no??

Copied from Amazon on the "questions" page about the 1RBT model:

Hi, this Sony Headphone unit is the same unit as the first one, with the same specifications all in all. -Ely
Sony Support USA MANUFACTURER answered on November 14, 2014
Comments (2) | Do you find this helpful?

ZZZ said on January 6, 2015
So MK1 or MK2?
Sony Support USA said on January 7, 2015
Hi Zzz, this model is MK1. But again, MK1 and MK2 are identical. -Vincent

MK2 wasn't even made available in the US when it was released (not sure if it's still the case), so Sony Support USA are clueless and are doing their best to confuse the US Consumer.

I remember coming across the list of the improvements in the MK2 (there were about 5), with the most notable ones being AptX and better bass. 

EDIT: Just saw another nonsensical response on Amazon by Sony Support USA dated yesterday - "Sony MDR1A is a high-res stereo headphones while MDR1R is Stereo Headphones", when Sony's own site lists the current iteration of R1 as having a high resolution driver with the hi-res logo.  I can't believe Sony are paying this guy!  No wonder they're losing money.  Not to mention the damage to the company's reputation.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #560 of 894
I have checked that answer on amazon and provoqued the Sony support back.
Incredible.
I have found another idiot answer about the impossibility of connecting something to two devices at same time with BT.
These guys do not even know of the existence of Multipoint.

About the differences Mk1 and Mk2, the only two official infos available from Sony are:
1) aptx
2) Enlarged Air Vents For Impressive Bass Sound

So, the bass is not better because of better drivers.
It is better, apparently, because of the Aptx codec and of these larger vents.

A guy on Amazon says he had both versions and the Mk2 has got softer earcups.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #561 of 894
I love definitive technology here is there new headphone and its bluetooth yay!
http://www.electronichouse.com/daily/headphones/definitive-technology-gets-headphones-symphony-1/?mqsc=E3786310&utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=EH+EH%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=EH_Daily_010915

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #562 of 894
Hi, I see everybody has open up to the point of having aptx on any bluetooth headphone is the way to go.
biggrin.gif

I caught on to the aptx thing when I was first getting some good headphones. Since my phone at that time was a Samsung Note 3, with aptx, I made sure any bluetooth headphones I purchase HAD to have aptx or it was a  no go. Some posters said it was hard to tell the difference.  Well, moving forward, and now I am pushing a Samsung Note 4, also with aptx, and my two favorite headphones, the Harman Kardon BT and Sony MDR 1RBTMK2.
The Sony are "grey market"..   Both of these headphones have aptx and serve me well. The Sony is the killer,
wink.gif
however, the Harman Kardon with its clamping force is my gym, running and bicycle headphones.. You should see the moves the old man does in the gym and the HKs don't budge..:wink:

Let me tell ya, I have advanced a little.. My Note 4 is sporting a 128gb class 10 sd card. On it, I got movies and flac files galore.     

The old man be cooling it walking down the street with my Note 4 playing "Guardians Of the Galaxy" in flac.. Oh boy, I got the whole soundtrack in flac, also, Kill Bill 1 & 2 Ennio Morricone, etc all in flac..   The Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 give up the goods for my price point. I paid $335 shipped to my  door for the Sonys, and $99 for the Harman Kardon BT(refurbished and like brand new)..  Also, I have JD Lab O2+ODAC and the Fiio E18.. Both these dacs work perfectly with these phones. 

On the "grey market" Mk2s, I was assured by the seller that if ANY warranty work needs to be done, all I have to do is ship the phones back to them in the original box and they will take care of it. Over a year with the MK2s and not even close to a problem.

Also, somebody mentioned that the Sony people here in the USA said the MDR 1RBT and MDR 1RBTMK2 are the same. No way under the sun. The local best buy was selling the MDR 1RBT for $500 and I got the improved and aptx version the MDR 1RBTMK2 for  $335 shipped.  Don't see  how ANYONE could get the older model, considering the  price and lack of features at the newer mode.. If I not mistaken, even Samsung has come out with some headphones in the 3 to 5 hundred range. They are wireless, and just the high price Beats, I don't think they are packing aptx. ??

At this point, Harman Kardon  has stopped selling the refurbished HK BTs for $99, don't see them at all, the ones you do see are for the $250.. My point was any bluetooth head phone purchased this day and age, MUST have aptx.. Everytime I listen to the Guardian Of The Galaxy in flac off my Note 4 or my Tap Pro 8.4, I break out into a lock grin.. My coworkers just know I am crazy!!
beyersmile.png

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #563 of 894
Thought I'd chime back with my recent experiences w/BT headphones; over the holidays I got the new Stance S1+ and like them much better than the original.

The three main issues I had with the first:
  • Smallish (for me) earpads
  • Strong headband tensile strength
  • Mid-centric sound profile w/weak bass (to me)

Have all been improved upon and wow, it's certainly been a joy listening to them. They are close to the AF62's (still one of my fav's) in sound profile and rank as one of the best sounding BT cans that I've experienced (overall summary here and JBL E50BT here). Working on a review but for now, color me impressed.

Next up would be a set of Apt-X low latency set...

@david8613 - thanks for the link, those look very interesting! 

@cehowardNote3 - it's a shame both my refurb'd HK BT's had issues so I ended up returning them, else, like you said, they are one of the best bang for the bucks. A sleeper AptX set that I don't see mentioned much that is quite good (especially with the half-off sale I got them at) is the iFrogz Coda Forte. These are really amazing sounding albeit the construction of the headband feels somewhat flimsy.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #564 of 894
If I not mistaken, even Samsung has come out with some headphones in the 3 to 5 hundred range. They are wireless, and just the high price Beats, I don't think they are packing aptx. ??  

The Samsung Level Over and of course they DO support aptx. Why wouldn't they if their smartphones do as well.

Spent my first day with the Plantronics Backbeat Pro yesterday.

First impressions:

- More bass than the Samsung Level Over as expected
- Lighter than the Samsung
- The Plantronics don't cover my ears completely due to their round shape. Think I prefer oval headphones.
- The feel and look (buttons, material) of the Plantronics to me feel a little cheap/plasticky compared to the Samsung Level Over and the Sony MDR-1RBT
- Like how I can fold them away from my neck for free neck movement, though it looks a bit weird
- Audio delay seems okay, at least less than the Sony MDR-1RBT
- Appreciate the iPhone specific extras like the additional battery icon in the iPhone status bar and the fact that the Plantronics also control iPhone volume.
- FW update fails on my PC (says that another Plantronics device is connected). Gotta try it with my notebook

Well, I have at least 1-2 more weeks before I take my decision.

Looks like the business trip to Philippines/Thailand will have to be cancelled, so I probably won't be able to get my hands on the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2. Well, might as well wait how the MDR-1ABT will turn out, unless Sony thinks they're funny by not releasing these in Europe as well.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #565 of 894
  Thought I'd chime back with my recent experiences w/BT headphones; over the holidays I got the new Stance S1+ and like them much better than the original.

The three main issues I had with the first:
  • Smallish (for me) earpads
  • Strong headband tensile strength
  • Mid-centric sound profile w/weak bass (to me)

Have all been improved upon and wow, it's certainly been a joy listening to them. They are close to the AF62's (still one of my fav's) in sound profile and rank as one of the best sounding BT cans that I've experienced (overall summary here and JBL E50BT here). Working on a review but for now, color me impressed.

Next up would be a set of Apt-X low latency set...

@david8613 - thanks for the link, those look very interesting! 

@cehowardNote3 - it's a shame both my refurb'd HK BT's had issues so I ended up returning them, else, like you said, they are one of the best bang for the bucks. A sleeper AptX set that I don't see mentioned much that is quite good (especially with the half-off sale I got them at) is the iFrog Coda Forte. These are really amazing sounding albeit the construction of the headband feels somewhat flimsy.

On the HKs, I had 3 sets, I had one stolen and I sent one set back for an exchange, just because the wire was  longer on one end then the other. I didn't know I just had to  pull it to even it up. No matter, then sent me another set, btw, free shipping back too. I got my wife a set, and she is a butcher. She has banged up her HKs, but they still work. On  the HKs, they  do have the flaw of noise from the wire moving or touching, even the cans, but for $99 and the way they clamp on my head at the gym, can't beat them with a stick.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #566 of 894
  The Samsung Level Over and of course they DO support aptx. Why wouldn't they if their smartphones do as well.

Spent my first day with the Plantronics Backbeat Pro yesterday.

First impressions:

- More bass than the Samsung Level Over as expected
- Lighter than the Samsung
- The Plantronics don't cover my ears completely due to their round shape. Think I prefer oval headphones.
- The feel and look (buttons, material) of the Plantronics to me feel a little cheap/plasticky compared to the Samsung Level Over and the Sony MDR-1RBT
- Like how I can fold them away from my neck for free neck movement, though it looks a bit weird
- Audio delay seems okay, at least less than the Sony MDR-1RBT
- Appreciate the iPhone specific extras like the additional battery icon in the iPhone status bar and the fact that the Plantronics also control iPhone volume.
- FW update fails on my PC (says that another Plantronics device is connected). Gotta try it with my notebook

Well, I have at least 1-2 more weeks before I take my decision.

Looks like the business trip to Philippines/Thailand will have to be cancelled, so I probably won't be able to get my hands on the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2. Well, might as well wait how the MDR-1ABT will turn out, unless Sony thinks they're funny by not releasing these in Europe as well.

I was thinking the same thing, but just like the Note 3, the aptx support is not noted everywhere. When I looked at the box of the Samsung Headphones at a Samsung booth, I saw NO aptx specification.. Just like with the phone, the aptx is a game changer for a lot of peeps..

Now tell me if my Samsung Galaxy Gear S is pushing aptx too. Can't find it in the specs, and it is a Samsung phone.. Let me know on that..

Is this new Sony MDR-1 ABT over top the 1RBT MK2?  or is a lessor model? 

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #569 of 894
  The Aptx logo is also on the carton of the Samsung Level Over. I just checked it myself.

Regarding the upcoming Sony MDR-1ABT, it's basically the successor/replacement of the MDR-1RBT MK2.

Yup, I just went and saw that in the specs myself. Still,  from the reviews, and the price point, ($320 price range) they don't measure up to my MDR 1RBT MK2s!

Also, if the 1ABT is a replacement successor to the 1RBT MK2, I am sure it is a winner.  

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #570 of 894
I love definitive technology here is there new headphone and its bluetooth yay!
http://www.electronichouse.com/daily/headphones/definitive-technology-gets-headphones-symphony-1/?mqsc=E3786310&utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=EH+EH%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=EH_Daily_010915

Does these have aptx? I searched the specs, and the manual, no mention of aptx coding!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back