High end Bakoon headphone amp Japan version discussion thread and Impression Thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #91 of 197
Like Lioyd I recent bought the Bakoon HDA-5210 mk3 (Japanese version)

Quick overview of impressions with Fostex TH900

Massive soundstage - bigger than Leben CS300xs
Really opens up after about 50+ hours
Very tight controlled base
TH900 mids as pointed out by many other headfi members are not as recessed with this amp.
Treble is very nicely extended no siblance at all.
Euphoric sound amp with plenty of detail - in my opinion has managed to achieve reference quality without becoming over-analytical.
Red book sounds amazing straight out of a Denon DVD player
Best headphone amp I have ever heard with these headphones - feels like an end game amp to me. Very satisfied with just how great music sounds.

What volume control did you choose mrtim6? Any other options?
Do you use the current or voltage output with the TH-900?
How high do you put the volume dial for both of these outputs with the TH-900, and do you use high or low gain?

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #92 of 197
As an owner of the 5210mk3, I would recommend the non stepped controller for low sensitivity phones(unless, is it 64 steps? then maybe). On low gain on the mk3, I typically listen at about volume 2-3 with standard dac output(~2v) on the HE-500, so I imagine with the TH series the volume knob would be particularly sensitive and you might find yourself wanting to be in between steps which might not be a problem depending on what your opinion on digital volume control is, probably depends on how your dac responds to such.

I previously paired the bakoon with the MHDT Labs tube output HAVANA dac for a more natural sound and really by that I mean non-fatiguing. I did however have to do a bit of tube rolling to get the sound right, I was using a sharper sounding tube to pair with my taboo amplifier. Once I switched to a tube with a bit of warmth, I felt that this was the right balance between high detail and non fatiguing, natural sound.  A dac with a more analogue type sound would be more in line with what I would recommend for those considering.  I assume this applies to most phones as I never found the HE-500 to be fatiguing in any setup until this one.

As for output, the only time I found myself using voltage was for IEMs however, I never tried any higher impedence headphones(>100ohm), so that may change with impedence.  The current out is a feature that makes the bakoon unique, so that's probably going to sound the best with most phones.  This is a highly detailed amplifier that does not miss a thing.  It's what I would imagine when thinking of TOTL solid state.  I would still at some point like to try out the HE-6 as well as TH-900 with this beast amp.. anyone want to loan me? 
beerchug.gif

I can probably answer a decent amount of questions pertaining to the amp. I know it well so ask away.

HDA-5210mk3 has a great bass impact, super spacious soundstage and with a good depth, some grain in the sound, but the best resolution out of all the amps here.

What is meant by "some grain in the sound"? Background noise?

I imagine by grain he means not to the absolute fullest resolution.  However grain is something I never particularly noticed.  I think depending on the dac, the bakoon can fully show the apparent weakness of said DAC, for example sometimes I felt that the sabre chip was sounding a little too digital sounding compared to the tube output+burr brown of the havana.  I never noticed any particular grain coming from the bakoon alone, but that might be something that becomes more apparent with lower sensitivity phones for all I know.  

The other phone I used heavily was the t50RP paradox headphone which to me, the sound was like something you would use for mixing or mastering.  I wouldn't call it particularly interesting but I definitely heard everything.  It just wasn't musical enough for me, which is in my opinion, the signature of that particular phone.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #93 of 197
Hi Appleheadmay

Lloyd has described extremely well the sound signature of this amp.

I would add I also use the Current output with the TH900. The voltage out is not quiet as refined sounding although there is not a huge difference.

I use the low gain switch with TH900 .

The Volume dial I will check tonight. Can't remember exactly the position. I know it was not high as Lloyd has mentioned the amp is very powerful.

I also have never heard the graininess some one reported. I have tried the Bakoon with my now sold Ultrasone Ed 8 , AKG 712 & the Th900 the background is very quiet. I have some Shure 846 inbound so I will try them with the Bakoon to see if I can hear the graininess.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #94 of 197
Thank you for the info guys.

But I still wonder, if you can only use very little of the volume control, isn't that annoying? Isn't the amp too powerful for the TH-900 then?

And how did you order them or contact Bakoon? I found the eBay page but am a bit reluctant to order from there.

Which version of the amp did you both choose?
There seems to be a Satri-IC-EX and Satri-IC-UL version.
Both can have three possible volume controls: variable resistance (standard), metal film resistance or winging resistance (non induction). None are stepped I believe.
Prices go from $1100 to $1790.

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #95 of 197
  Thank you for the info guys.

But I still wonder, if you can only use very little of the volume control, isn't that annoying? Isn't the amp too powerful for the TH-900 then?

And how did you order them or contact Bakoon? I found the eBay page but am a bit reluctant to order from there.

Which version of the amp did you both choose?
There seems to be a Satri-IC-EX and Satri-IC-UL version.
Both can have three possible volume controls: variable resistance (standard), metal film resistance or winging resistance (non induction). None are stepped I believe.
Prices go from $1100 to $1790.

I ordered from the ebay page and it was shipped from the factory.  How else would they get the correct power supply? Also paypal is very good at siding with the buyer so I wasn't particularly concerned.  I chose the cheapest model with a regular volume pot.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #96 of 197
Yes, but if I choose one of the higher priced models I'd better mail them I think.
Clicking the buy button automatically selects the basic version given the price.
They can get the correct power supply from the info I give them and country I live in. Belgium is 230V 50Hz.

And be careful with PP buyer protection. If you pay an advance first (which would happen if you choose the buy option, pay 1100 GBP and then pay a second time for the upgrade to another version) there is no buyer protection, the whole amount needs to be made in 1 payment. PP rules have a lot of fine print.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #97 of 197
  Yes, but if I choose one of the higher priced models I'd better mail them I think.
Clicking the buy button automatically selects the basic version given the price.
They can get the correct power supply from the info I give them and country I live in. Belgium is 230V 50Hz.

And be careful with PP buyer protection. If you pay an advance first (which would happen if you choose the buy option, pay 1100 GBP and then pay a second time for the upgrade to another version) there is no buyer protection, the whole amount needs to be made in 1 payment. PP rules have a lot of fine print.  

If you contact him he can send you an invoice for the full amount.  That seller was quite responsive with respect to my transaction.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #98 of 197
thanks, that's wat I needed to know,
Did he offer various shiment methods and a trick to make you pay less import?
Will be sorely needed for my stupid country, else it's 50% plus.

Anyone in this thread that heard both this amp and the GS-X?

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #99 of 197
thanks, that's wat I needed to know,
Did he offer various shiment methods and a trick to make you pay less import?
Will be sorely needed for my stupid country, else it's 50% plus.

Anyone in this thread that heard both this amp and the GS-X?

He may, I can't quite remember but he will definitely do his best to work with you if he is as communicative as he was with me.  This vs the GSX would be a very good question indeed.  

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #104 of 197
Just received the HDA-5210mk3 with Satri-UL modules (different from those of the base model and Korean HPA-21) and WW attenuator. It's a stepped attenuator.
This is the fully upgraded model of the amp and is pretty pricey. about 2300€ without import, 2800€ imported.
I posted about the different models earlier in this thread in case anyone wonders.

It feels very lightweight but the finish looks quite nice I must say, the glossy front matches well with the Fostec HP-A8.

No sound impressions yet, I'll need some time to have a good listen to it.
All I can say so far is that's damn powerful! I wonder if there's a pair of phones around that it couldn't drive. Man this thing can go loud!

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #105 of 197
Here we go: Bakoon PRE-7610 MK3

Basically this one is a pre-amp for home audio buat also come with headphone output. The HO is definitely a step up in quality compare to SCA-7511 MK3 or HDA-5210 MK3, though power wise that HDA is still the most powerful.

Sound character wise the PRE model is more similiar to SCA rather than HDA, though the PRE model is more refine, more liquid, has smoother and more full body sound than SCA model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back