High end Bakoon headphone amp Japan version discussion thread and Impression Thread
Apr 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #61 of 197
I have to agree, as I coudn't find this part in the original 6moons review.

It's funny that you say "It makes no difference (...) whether another HF'r purchases and listens to this amp or not", but before that you have told En_R to "do the research then you can come back to this thread and apologize" and now you follow up with a lenghty 6moons "review". It get your point, you like the AMP-11R. But seems to me you can't say anything about the new Bakoon head-amp, so please calm down and wait for real reviews like the rest of us.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #62 of 197
Robert has the amp himself. I think what he's trying to say is that one should listen to the amp first before passing judgment - however silly the ads/6loons review is. 

I don't know why people are paying that much attention to the ads though. If I were to sell something, I would surely advertise it as revolutionary and try to make it tick most of the boxes/buzzwords. Phrases like "revolutionary", "ultimate", "solid state this tube that", "analog sounding" comes up on a daily basis whenever a new product is introduced 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #63 of 197
Quote:

I wonder why you purposely copy and pasted a reader's feedback letter to 6 moon and included it as if it was part of the review (of course you purposely left out the "Hi Srajan," part).

http://www.6moons.com/lettersfeedback/lettersfeedback_30.html

Perhaps by making his comments seem more credible - - - > _______________

And I agree with you completely. This site exists to pass along pertinent info about this hobby.

Obviously, you did not even bother to check the veracity of my post with the info as it is presented and stated on the Stereodesk.com website regarding the AMP-11R. That did not prevent you however from accusing me of "copy and pasted" though, which if you actually bothered to do a little fact checking, even you would realize your accusation is false and totally bogus.

What gets lost in all of this childishness on your part, is the fact that the Bakoon AMP-11R is a fine headphone amp.

Apologies accepted 24/7.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #64 of 197
Quote:

Obviously, you did not even bother to check the veracity of my post with the info as it is presented and stated on the Stereodesk.com website regarding the AMP-11R. That did not prevent you however from accusing me of "copy and pasted" though, which if you actually bothered to do a little fact checking, even you would realize your accusation is false and totally bogus.

What gets lost in all of this childishness on your part, is the fact that the Bakoon AMP-11R is a fine headphone amp.

Apologies accepted 24/7.

No I don't think you checked where that website got it's so called "reviews" from (shoddy marketing). Along with the fact that you regurgitated this stuff in your own impressions tells me a number of things... but yes it seems I've been a naughty child, calling you out
evil_smiley.gif
. I won't say those things so you can save some face.

My next purchase SS dynamic was going to be between the Bakoon amp and the LAu anyways, which is why I posted the link to the Audiogon dealer (for other interested buyers)
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #65 of 197
Quote:
Robert has the amp himself. I think what he's trying to say is that one should listen to the amp first before passing judgment - however silly the ads/6loons review is. 

I don't know why people are paying that much attention to the ads though. If I were to sell something, I would surely advertise it as revolutionary and try to make it tick most of the boxes/buzzwords. Phrases like "revolutionary", "ultimate", "solid state this tube that", "analog sounding" comes up on a daily basis whenever a new product is introduced 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for adding a degree of British civility to the discussion khaine. Not something most of us Yanks are noted for.

However, once in a "Blue Moon" , something uniquely special actually does make its way to the marketplace.

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #66 of 197
Guys,

You may be interested to know that earlier today Soo In Chae (Bakoon Products International) confirmed that my HPA-21 (black) had shipped via FedEx and that I should receive it in a few days time.

I enquired about the comments Srajan made regarding using his Beyerdynamic T5p in the 6moons review preview and Soo In replied thus: 

Regarding Srajan's comment about the gain issue, your unit got a fix that "low gain (selected by a front switch" current output will now output less gain that you will be able to also use highly sensitive headphones. (not just impedance, but sensitivity also matters) Please let me know when you try with your headphones but I do not see any concern of usage for now.

I will upload some photo's and initial impressions (using an LCD-2 & HD650) soonest, then write a comprehensive review after a week or so of listening.

Cheers,
Andy. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #69 of 197
Quote:
Guys,

You may be interested to know that earlier today Soo In Chae (Bakoon Products International) confirmed that my HPA-21 (black) had shipped via FedEx and that I should receive it in a few days time.

I enquired about the comments Srajan made regarding using his Beyerdynamic T5p in the 6moons review preview and Soo In replied thus: 

Regarding Srajan's comment about the gain issue, your unit got a fix that "low gain (selected by a front switch" current output will now output less gain that you will be able to also use highly sensitive headphones. (not just impedance, but sensitivity also matters) Please let me know when you try with your headphones but I do not see any concern of usage for now.

I will upload some photo's and initial impressions (using an LCD-2 & HD650) soonest, then write a comprehensive review after a week or so of listening.

Cheers,
Andy. 

[size=11.0pt]What a coincidence, "my" HPA-21 was also sent via FedEx from Bakoon Korea today! I hope it has the low gain fix. "The fix was applied to all units we sent off today" according to Soo In (quote from 6moons). I guess you will get yours first. I have the luxury of being able to listen to it (again) before buying it though… Still waiting for some more answers from Soo In but he and Nagai are very busy right now.[/size]

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #71 of 197
Quote:

FYI, Soo In is the "Main Man" at Bakoon.

Looking forward to impressions of the HPA-21.

Yes, I know that, what I ment was that the quote was from 6moons, sorry.

BTW Srajan has almost finished his review now, only the final conclusion remains. A lot of words describing what I heard at the show... 
atsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #72 of 197
Quote:

Yes, I know that, what I ment was that the quote was from 6moons, sorry.

BTW Srajan has almost finished his review now, only the final conclusion remains. A lot of words describing what I heard at the show... 
atsmile.gif

My apologies for misreading your prose.

Can't wait to read it. Hopefully he will compare the HPA-21 to the AMP-11R since the 11R is currently his reference HF amp.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #73 of 197
I’ll offer some feedback.  I am Jaguar Audio Design, so don’t consider my opinions objective.  I’ve been using the Bakoon Amp 11R with my Zu Druid Mk5 for a while.   I agree with Currawong that the 11R doesn’t really have a “tube” character, at least with the traits that are commonly associated with tubes.  The sound is much more neutral and straight than say a component with a 12AU7 or 6SN7.  People often compare the 11R to tube amps for its SET-like detail.   I had a few guys come to me after buying a Yamamoto SET to pair with their Zu Definitions, but found they didn’t feel it had enough drive to bring the 10” drivers to life.  The Bakoon has the SET characteristics with the power they wanted.

There are some Pass First-Watt amps that excel in the same way.  I have a highly modified First Watt F5 DIY amp that sounds surprisingly like the 11R (though the F5 was not the model that was really going after the SET sound); the 11R has much more micro-detail and the F5 has a slightly lower frequency balance.   Overall I would describe the Bakoon as neutral, linear throughout the frequency spectrum, lit-up and hyper detailed.

In car terms the Bakoon is kind of like a Lotus…small and agile…definitely not a top-fuel dragster.  It’s made for listening at low-volume at night rather than blasting speakers at a raging party.

Regarding the HPA-21, yes, they are being shipped with an adjustment to the circuit for the gain issue.

Darin

May 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #74 of 197
Wow.
Got it today, sorry, yesterday. And today it’s a holiday. So appropriate!  
smile.gif

It's a gain monster! With Lynx Hilo line out trim set to +0dBV (lowest setting) and HPA-21 gain set to high typical volume for LCD-3 is 07:30 - 08:30*. Which the time will be if I don’t go to bed soon…
Must not forget to charge the batteries.
More to come.

* OK, depends on music, with (older) lower output music volume can be up to 11:00.

May 2, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #75 of 197
Quote:
Wow.
Got it today, sorry, yesterday. And today it’s a holiday. So appropriate!  
smile.gif

It's a gain monster! With Lynx Hilo line out trim set to +0dBV (lowest setting) and HPA-21 gain set to high typical volume for LCD-3 is 07:30 - 08:30*. Which the time will be if I don’t go to bed soon…
Must not forget to charge the batteries.
More to come.

* OK, depends on music, with (older) lower output music volume can be up to 11:00.

Congrats!!
So, how it is, we need to know more :)
Please share more impressions, if I am lucky I will get my review sample tomorrow.
A full blown review is coming from me if the next ~2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back