High capacity players?
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

emoosemaster

New Head-Fier
My music collection has grown to ~130 gb and is too large for most portable sources.  I am looking for a player that can at least the majority of my collection.  What options do I have?  I currently have a Cowon X7 and am completely unsatisfied with it.  I've also had bad experiences with ipod classics.

Are there players that I am not aware of that would fit my case?  I would like something that is at least pocket-able.  Right now, I'm considering a 32gb player+64 micro sd card and thinning down my collection.

Any help would be great!  

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 18
fit pocket, large capacity (at least 130gb), other than cowon x7 and ipod classic....
hard to find one...

maybe the closest one are:
- Archos 48 (500gb but big size player, around 4.8 inch screen size), or a 60x series (4.3" screen size and around 160gb storage)
- ibasso dx100 ( 64gb internal storage and support microSD, maybe can support up to 64gb microSD but i dont know, and support usb otg to read flashdisk/another memory card too. Fat music player.)
- Wolverine esp (120 gb - 250gb , but Old and not a real music player)
- Zune 120 (120gb, not big)

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
fit pocket, large capacity (at least 130gb), other than cowon x7 and ipod classic....
hard to find one...

maybe the closest one are:
- Archos 48 (500gb but big size player, around 4.8 inch screen size), or a 60x series (4.3" screen size and around 160gb storage)
- ibasso dx100 ( 64gb internal storage and support microSD, maybe can support up to 64gb microSD but i dont know, and support usb otg to read flashdisk/another memory card too. Fat music player.)
- Wolverine esp (120 gb - 250gb , but Old and not a real music player)
- Zune 120 (120gb, not big)

The ibasso is out of my price range.  Archos players seem to be too big in size and have below average reviews.  I looked up the wolverine esp and it seems to be mostly for videos and photos.  The Zune 120 might be up for consideration though!
Quote:
What were your experiences with the classic?  For portable with that capacity, the classic is hard to beat.  I have a 7G 160gb and love it.  I use it portable and at home via dock.  The complete package, imo.

Well, I've gone through 3 iPods since the iPod photo and they never seem to last too long (18 months tops from my experience).  I feel like I've been constantly fighting various defects and iTunes itself.  I use foobar now which eliminates itunes but I still am a bit hesitant.  I'm also not sure if I want to go back to using a scroll wheel to navigate all that music after being spoonfed with touch screens.  

Thanks for the responses so far.  Are there any other recommendations?  Sorry if I seem really picky 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 18
Those of us who desire high capacity portable players really have very few options. I think pretty much all of them have been mentioned. Lucky for me I love the X7, though it would be awesome if it had 2-3x the storage. 
tongue.gif

Zune is pretty awesome if you can find one. It's a such a shame that they were discontinued. The only reason I stopped using one at the time is because I stopped using Windows. You have to use the Zune software with it, but it's actually extremely nice. Aside from lack of EQ and other useful functions, my favorite media player ever.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 18
The should come out with an affordable small form factor hard disk DAP that has good sound quality...

I personally use a phone with a 64GB microSD, which already gives a lot of storage. But even that is by far not enough for my entire music collection. Currently it's 280GB, so I had to cut down.
What I found was that if you only bring the albums you really listen to on a semi-frequent basis, and encode the lossless stuff to AAC (I use a 200kbps setting), then you will find that you suddenly don't need that huge amount of storage any more. Sure, I'd like to have more storage, but you don't need it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 18
Personally, I feel like I can't live without having my library in its entirety. I'm not comfortable having only part of it. I have everything converted to 320k mp3s and the Cowon's 160GB are pretty much full. 
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Personally, I feel like I can't live without having my library in its entirety. I'm not comfortable having only part of it. I have everything converted to 320k mp3s and the Cowon's 160GB are pretty much full. :frowning2:

I feel the same way, but once you really think about each album in your library and ask 'when was the last time I listened to this?'. You will realize that there is simply so much stuff you very rarely listen to. There is simply no point in bringing those albums along with you as well.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
I feel the same way, but once you really think about each album in your library and ask 'when was the last time I listened to this?'. You will realize that there is simply so much stuff you very rarely listen to. There is simply no point in bringing those albums along with you as well.

Maybe. Every time I've tried this strategy in the past a situation always arises where I want/need to play something I don't have with me. :\

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Maybe. Every time I've tried this strategy in the past a situation always arises where I want/need to play something I don't have with me. :\

That does happen, but that doesn't matter that much.
If you bring a couple hundred albums there is always something to satisfy you. Too much choice makes us unnecessarily picky.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
That does happen, but that doesn't matter that much.
If you bring a couple hundred albums there is always something to satisfy you. Too much choice makes us unnecessarily picky.

Often the situations that arise aren't even about my own personal enjoyment, but have some other reason behind them.

I just feel differently about it I guess. It's a lot more bothersome to me. I feel more secure knowing that I have access to everything, rather than being limited. Sometimes being limited is a good thing and forces you to make certain discoveries you otherwise wouldn't have, but I wouldn't want that to be the status quo.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 18
The Sandisk Clip+ 2GB is only $30. I guess some people buy two of these(or more) and put a 64GB microSDXC card in each. Others have said 64GB micro SDXC cards work in it if they are formatted as FAT32. Rockbox will let you get around the 8,000 or so file limit on the player.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
The Sandisk Clip+ 2GB is only $30. I guess some people buy two of these(or more) and put a 64GB microSDXC card in each. Others have said 64GB micro SDXC cards work in it if they are formatted as FAT32. Rockbox will let you get around the 8,000 or so file limit on the player.

Wouldn't it make more sense just to buy one Clip+ and swap out the cards? That's a really great idea though. Didn't know that.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 18
Wouldn't it make more sense just to buy one Clip+ and swap out the cards? That's a really great idea though. Didn't know that.

Micro SD's are small and can be tough to handle on the go. I imagine swapping the DAP's is easier, even though it is more expensive and takes up more space.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Micro SD's are small and can be tough to handle on the go. I imagine swapping the DAP's is easier, even though it is more expensive and takes up more space.

I guess it depends how/where you use them. The only time I am ever using a DAP I am sitting down and have my hands free. Either that or while driving but there's no way to connect to the stereo in my new car so it doesn't matter anymore. -__-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back