High capacity player that plays FLAC
Feb 28, 2008 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

hyyam85

Head-Fier
Hi. I am looking for a portable player that support FLAC playback, with high capacity. I know a few players such as cowon, meizu, teclast that can do that. I just want to know what options I have.

Actually cowon D2 appeals to me most because of its SD slot, but it is a lil overkill as I don't watch videos on my portable player.

Most of the FLAC supported portable players in the market now (esp those china made) have pathetic flash memory without expandability.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyyam85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I am looking for a portable player that support FLAC playback, with high capacity. I know a few players such as cowon, meizu, teclast that can do that. I just want to know what options I have.

Actually cowon D2 appeals to me most because of its SD slot, but it is a lil overkill as I don't watch videos on my portable player.

Most of the FLAC supported portable players in the market now (esp those china made) have pathetic flash memory without expandability.

Get the Cowon D2, it's NOT overkill. I own one, but I NEVER play videos on it, since widescreen movies are too small to watch on it (IMO). It's a music player FIRST, and a video player second, so it still excels in the former category.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 81
I don't suggest iaudio product for playing flac.
You won't hear huge difference between mp3 and flac with cowon player.

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 81
I am waiting for one too..........
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyyam85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was thinking about getting some china brand. But their memory is pathetic for flac. Any high capacity player from china? or any with a SD slot?

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 81
The Cowon's do not have great sound? What about their digital outputting to a DAC? This should work very well and with the expandable memory work out exceptionally well for most needs.

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cowon's do not have great sound? What about their digital outputting to a DAC? This should work very well and with the expandable memory work out exceptionally well for most needs.

Which Cowon models have digital output? I remember hearing something about a new product of theirs (Q5??) having digital outputs via a docking station but I didn't know of any other Cowon players having digital output.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 81
I did not say cowon do not have great sound.
But they don't play lossess that good.
You can hardly tell the difference between lossess and MP3.

Quote:

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 81
I have a Cowon X5L 30G. and it sounds great. Much better than several other players that my friend and I tried out. No SD slot though... Or digital out...Flac definitely sounds better on it than Mp3.

Ralphmoe

Kpeezy, have you seen any of my PM's?

Thanks,
Ralphmoe

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 81
I own a D2, and I can notice a significant difference between a 320kbps MP3, and a FLAC file. I guess it also depends on what phones you use to listen with. Couldn't tell as big a difference with my SF5P, but with my M5's, the difference was clear as day.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not say cowon do not have great sound.
But they don't play lossess that good.
You can hardly tell the difference between lossess and MP3.

Not in my experience. Songs encoded in FLAC and played on the D2, A3 and Q5w all sound significantly better to me compared to any bitrate MP3. Now this assumes you are not using ibuds
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Cowon models have digital output? I remember hearing something about a new product of theirs (Q5??) having digital outputs via a docking station but I didn't know of any other Cowon players having digital output.

The Q5 has usb output and i/o for TV...I'm thinking getting a signal from this thing should not be too difficult
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphmoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Cowon X5L 30G. and it sounds great. Much better than several other players that my friend and I tried out. No SD slot though... Or digital out...Flac definitely sounds better on it than Mp3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a D2, and I can notice a significant difference between a 320kbps MP3, and a FLAC file. I guess it also depends on what phones you use to listen with. Couldn't tell as big a difference with my SF5P, but with my M5's, the difference was clear as day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in my experience. Songs encoded in FLAC and played on the D2, A3 and Q5w all sound significantly better to me compared to any bitrate MP3. Now this assumes you are not using ibuds
wink.gif

Good to know! It could be one's sensitivity or the associated gear used with the unit. I can tell ALAC from mp3 V0 or 320 cbr using IEMs from iPods, I was hoping for the same with FLAC and mp3 on a Cowon.

Still, if no digital output on anything (not even the Q5?) then it won't be much use to me
frown.gif

iPod + crazy Wadia Doc + dac = sublime? Maybe... but with that cost, I may as well do what I was thinking since the Wadia sure isn't portable and just get the 1 TB drive hook that up to my laptop and use whatever programme (Cog or iTunes) and output via the digital output to a DAC. Cheaper, more economical and far more music (in the format I prefer). I don't do much travelling and when I'm out of the house I'm holed up at one of my offices which I can easily transport my external drive as easily as an iPod classic.

Blah, why can't we get a massive DAP with digital output that plays every format under the sun? Is that really too much to ask?

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 81
Quote:

Blah, why can't we get a massive DAP with digital output that plays every format under the sun? Is that really too much to ask?

A laptop with a digital-out would fall into the criteria you've listed, unless that's TOO massive
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back