High Capacity DAP recommendation
Jul 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
My mate appreciates a dap with a very respectable sound signature, he currently uses a sony walkman (no idea of the model name) and with my encouragement has recently acquired a pair of se530's.

However, after he returned from a recent camping trip he has asked me about the options for a high capacity HDD based dap.

Apple is out, he is a full on I.T. professional and will not entertain apple (he begrudgingly allows his wife apple products in the house lol) 

I have suggested an old iriver with a high capacity HDD and d10 for optical use, but he really doesn't want to go second hand or old models.

I suggested the zune but I am unsure as to how enthusiastic he was about it.

So while apple is out, the old irivers are out, and I think zune is out, what options are available for an 80gb + hdd based dap?

Cheers.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 16

Well, then there is no choice.
Currently, only Apple produces HDD-based portable models; and the last 3 years or so that was Apple and MS. There choice is only between ipod, zune and some players that are 4 years or more old.
PS: They say that ipod 160 (slim) is the last hdd-based ipod, and that apple will drop the "classic" line on this september.

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Archos makes PMP, not portable audio player.
From what i have heard, the sq is mediocre and usability is mediocre. And it is not portable really - archos 5 weights 2x more than ipod classic/zune 80-120, it is huge (about 1 inch taller and wider than ipod, and a way thicker), battery life time is "up to 22 hours", and, as i understand, it has a noisy 2.5" hdd inside. You cannot put it in your pocket unless you are Wasserman

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Hmm you should do more research. The Archos Internet Media Tablet is very nice and has a lot of features. That can be had for around 260 at the least.

I have the Archos 7 Home Tablet and the SQ is actually pretty good on the device. 

But if you want high capacity.... you could get an iPod Classic and Rockbox it so you never have to look at iTunes... that's what I would do. That and the fact you get a lot of audio add-ons it's a good idea for someone who needs a lot of space. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Hmm you should do more research. The Archos Internet Media Tablet is very nice and has a lot of features. 

I didn't say that it is not nice or that it doesn't have a lot of features. What i did say was that it is not an audio player, it is PMP.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 16
You know, we don't have many choices. It's quite hard to help when his criteria are so narrow, no Apple, no used, no PMPs... 

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I've said that its SQ is mediocre, and you responded that PMP itself is nice and has a lot of features. It is not related in any way.

Nice = referring to the SQ

I think this whole thing is full of misunderstanding. How about this:
My apologies for attacking your post. I misunderstood what you stated. *Extends hand*

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 16
hmmmm, such a shame iriver stopped doing their superb legacy players, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him one of those.

Anyway, even though he will be taking a hit on the storage, he has gone for a clip+ to trial as I think the sq on these are great and of course it has the option of expandable storage, and at that price, it is worth a punt to see if he gets on with the player.

I agree though, perhaps a 5.5g ipod would have hit the spot but no apple lol

cheers guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back