Hifiman: Terrible experience with RE-400i and the company's customer service
Feb 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #46 of 72
Thanks for the thread.  I'm in the market for new IEM's and of course the re-400 got mentioned but, I noticed a lot of issues with cable and mic/remote failure noted here and on Amazon.  I'd be willing to take a chance if I thought HFM would stand behind the product, but if I'm paying to ship things back and forth to get a working product, then I may as well just open up the wallet up front....  I guess at $79, some corners are going to get cut.  My advise to HFM is that maybe they should consider a slightly higher price so that they can deliver an acceptable level of customer service and fix the build quality issues.  From everything I've read, it looks like the RE-400 can compete with ~$200 and even $300 IEMs, so they certainly have some pricing room to work with. 

Nevertheless, I'm considering giving them a try with the understanding that I very well may be re-cabling them.  However, not everybody has a good soldering iron and soldering skillz...... 
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #48 of 72
crap.   I just found this thread but already ordered the re-400 yesterday from their website directly.  I read every post including the inputs from hfm cuts. svc. and the US based person.  I'm not going to do anything at this point b/c it shipped today, but I was looking at their little integrated tube amp and considering buying, but not now.

Making a person pay return postage for DOA is simply unacceptable... dishonest, really.  And probably illegal.  Kind of reminds me of those east coast tv stores that sell at 10-15% below everybody else's price (ex. joes AV), then when you call to confirm the sale they say regular deliver takes 30 business days and for only $180 more you can get in in ten business days  ... most it seems just pay the extra so they don't have to wait 45 days).

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #49 of 72
HiFiMAN has exceptional customer service. You can find many positive threads on Head-Fi that support that. 

If you have any issues, simply email customerservice@hifiman.com and they will take care of you. 

Peter

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #50 of 72
I don't have any direct experience with Hifiman returns but this is normal procedure. These products are QC'd when made and 'DOA' is as often than not an attempt at a free return, an accident by the consumer or a something like the buyer not undertanding iems need a seal and thinking them defective etc. I am not implying that is the case here as manufacturers aren't perfect either but there is a return system in place and the buyer is on board with that once he enters the transaction. Doing it differently would raise the price for everyone. It's a choice of price vs policy and the vast majority will choose price as they will not have problems. It's also a way that many would take advantage of manufacturers to audition for free. Don't think we don't all pay a little more because some like to rig the system and try a half dozen or more items before purchasing, often something they've already returned previously. I often see this practice promoted here and frankly it disturbs me. Just because one may not have another way to hear something, it doesn't mean you should get even by making everyone else pay a little more. It's a myopic solution. I understand that when buying something to own and it disappoints, returning it but ordering multiple new items and planning to return all but one and perhaps all is simply inappropriate in my book.

How often has someone experienced something at a brick and mortar shop only to buy it online or on ebay due to price or just to save tax? Brick and mortars can't sell for the same price because they have overhead but they help you make good decisions and are where you go for support. Guess what happens buy saving a few bucks? Those brick and mortars go out of business and the same folks or their equivalents are going to complain about lack of auditions or poorer customer service because of shipping. In the big picture, saving a few bucks is often penny wise and dollar foolish. Don't blame Hifiman. Blame the internet and what has become a competitive shopping game. Think about how you've lost an auction by a dollar or 2 and thought how foolish you were for 'playing the game' instead of just bidding high enough to get what you wanted?

Making this so personal is a little short sighted. I understand disappointment when things go wrong and something does get past QC not 100% but stuff happens and it's not like we're talking about large sums here. They won't say all these things because they will then only get more grief for it but really these thoughts represent every maker and the higher the volume or value, the more these thoughts apply.

I have no affiliation with Hifiman other than buying the massdrop RE00 for a giggle and possible backup device. If you guys at HIFIman read this, try plugging one of the 2 rear vents on a run in pair of re00.
wink_face.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #52 of 72
Likely why they are limiting their responses. It was a general, non specific response about having a system in place that just got taken to task. They know they can't satisfy a certain group by doing anything other than breaking their policies. Once they cross that line, everyone will expect it for whatever reason they personally feel justified. If you don't think the brand good enough or reliable enough, look elsewhere but their service and return policy would never keep me from purchasing.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #54 of 72
  Perhaps You (HifiMan) should PM these concerned individuals yourself....rather than say "You should contact US"!!!!!

Your response kinda supports the other sides remarks and concerns!

I guess you missed the 2nd post.
  Hi, could you pm me your purchasing information, and i can process the investigation with our custom service. thanks

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #56 of 72
l was considering buying the RE-400 today but, after reading this thread (and so many negative reviews on amazon) l rather pass on them.

As a consumer, l'm shocked by Hifiman's CS posts on this thread. Now, if l were a member of Hifiman's management, l would be in shame and very upset. 

In my opinion, a company trying to reach a top position in the HI-FI market can't let a thread like this develop for the worse. Instead, the 'OP' should've been treated 'as a king' (metaphorically speaking). l didn't count it, but it's been quite a few of us who now refuse to buy from Hifiman. l am sure that has already cost Hifiman more than sending a new pair of IEMs to the 'OP.' 

And then, having Hifiman CS posting answers similar to (the following is no direct quote): 'Our CS is fantastic' or 'My in-line micro works great,' is like a father arguing that his kid is the most intelligent in the neighborhood.  

l'm certainly subscribing to this thread hoping to see Hifiman making a move in what l consider to be the right direction: The direction you expect from a company not only wanting to win over your ears, but also your trust. 

popcorn.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #57 of 72
  l was considering buying the RE-400 today but, after reading this thread (and so many negative reviews on amazon) l rather pass on them.

popcorn.gif

They've been taking quite a beating on Reddit too the past couple of weeks. There were two or three threads with stories and tons of angry people. Many of those threads were deleted after HifiMan contacted the OP and helped with the issue(s). Last one I saw was something about pushing "bought" 5 star reviews at Amazon. Then there's the rest about QA/QC.

I'm not even judging the brand, merely saying that these days I just go "Ah, another Hifman thread, again. /shrugs and keeps walking".

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #58 of 72

As a consumer, l'm shocked by Hifiman's CS posts on this thread. Now, if l were a member of Hifiman's management, l would be in shame and very upset. 

In my opinion, a company trying to reach a top position in the HI-FI market can't let a thread like this develop for the worse. Instead, the 'OP' should've been treated 'as a king' (metaphorically speaking). l didn't count it, but it's been quite a few of us who now refuse to buy from Hifiman. l am sure that has already cost Hifiman more than sending a new pair of IEMs to the 'OP.' 

And then, having Hifiman CS posting answers similar to (the following is no direct quote): 'Our CS is fantastic' or 'My in-line micro works great,' is like a father arguing that his kid is the most intelligent in the neighborhood.  

l'm certainly subscribing to this thread hoping to see Hifiman making a move in what l consider to be the right direction: The direction you expect from a company not only wanting to win over your ears, but also your trust. 

:popcorn:  
I was also considering buying the re400 until I read this thread.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #59 of 72

They've been taking quite a beating on Reddit too the past couple of weeks. There were two or three threads with stories and tons of angry people. Many of those threads were deleted after HifiMan contacted the OP and helped with the issue(s). Last one I saw was something about pushing "bought" 5 star reviews at Amazon. Then there's the rest about QA/QC.

I'm not even judging the brand, merely saying that these days I just go "Ah, another Hifman thread, again. /shrugs and keeps walking".

Oh, wow, that's really bad... l mean, it's like it no longer surprises you to see people complaining about Hifiman (i.e. you are used to it...). Wow...

What a shame as, otherwise, Hifiman HPs are very nice... l own the HE-400 and to this date they have worked perfectly. But l had my eyes on the Edition X and, after reading this, there is no way l'll throw $1300 on this company. l hope they can improve their 'CS' at some point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back