HiFiMan Susvara
May 23, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #25,876 of 26,676
I was thinking the same thing, but the potential for regret is dangerously high. I wouldn't sell my Sus unless I was 1000% sure I was replacing it with something better.

May 23, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #25,877 of 26,676
Flux Mentor / Schiit Mjolnir 3 / Ferrum OOR
I have heard some people say that burson soloist 3x GT drives better susvara vs ferrum orr + hypsos. Is that true?
and, as i can see you have a lot of experience. What do you think about violectric v550 vs soloist 3x GT vs IFI ican Phantom to drive susvara? Which give better results for you?=

May 23, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #25,878 of 26,676
From Soundnews:
12. Burson Soloist 3X

“The absolute best Susvara amplifier up to $1500. It has the power, it has the kick and dynamics, sounds fun and engaging, but it isn’t the most accurate or resolving amplifier. I see it as a cleaner version of Flux FA-10, I could easily live with it.”

You can buy one second hand for 700$.
I have its sucesor, the 3xgt which is almost 3000€ with the super charger, and it drives susvara wonderfully. The 3x is almost as powerful than the gt, but less refined. Its warmer and i can understand why sandu call it the best under 1500€.
The Burson 3xgt drives the Susvara better compared to the 3xp. However, in my experience, if you connect burson 3xp to schiit saga+ with psvane valve, the soloist sounds more powerful. Perhaps the big problem with almost all amplifiers is the preamp you are using.
With saga the burson sounds even better than the burson 3x gt in terms of power: bass control, dynamics, soundstage size but GT still with more refinement and cleanliness

May 23, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #25,879 of 26,676
Its just bad headphone. Dont even think about it, not worth it.
Thx! And thx Aperture!
I have heard some people say that burson soloist 3x GT drives better susvara vs ferrum orr + hypsos. Is that true?
and, as i can see you have a lot of experience. What do you think about violectric v550 vs soloist 3x GT vs IFI ican Phantom to drive susvara? Which give better results for you?=
havent heard orr, but its supposed to be different. Oor more slam, gt more soundstage. Both are powerful enough.
Again from soundnews:

8. Final Results

• Burson Soloist GT: 64.5 points
  • Ferrum OOR & Hypsos: 64 points
  • Trafomatic Head 2: 66 points
Tonality
  • Soloist GT: 9
  • Ferrum OOR: 10
  • Head 2: 9.5
Dynamics
  • Soloist GT: 8
  • Ferrum OOR: 8.5
  • Head 2: 10
Soundstage
  • Ferrum OOR: 8
Detail
  • Soloist GT: 9.5

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #25,880 of 26,676
Thx!

havent heard orr, but its supposed to be different. Oor more slam, gt more soundstage. Both are powerful enough.
Again from soundnews:

8. Final Results

• Burson Soloist GT: 64.5 points
  • Ferrum OOR & Hypsos: 64 points
  • Trafomatic Head 2: 66 points
Tonality
  • Ferrum OOR: 10
  • Head 2: 9.5
Dynamics
  • Soloist GT: 8
  • Ferrum OOR: 8.5
Soundstage
Detail
  • Soloist GT: 9.5
Where does Questyle Cma Fifteen stands?

May 23, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #25,883 of 26,676

Haven’t heard the 3xGT, v550 and the iCan Phantom unfortunately. OOr gives more slam and better bass texture than MJ3, but MJ3 retrieves details better and has better smoothness and refinement in the mids than OOR to me. Mentor would be the most detailed and nuanced out of the three amps

May 24, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #25,886 of 26,676
Hey guys, what’s the easiest and cheapest way to drive the Susvara to a good level?
If you're looking to get into Susvara with something that will drive it "pretty well" while you save toward a synergistic amp, Schiit MJ3, Jotunheim, or Lyr 3 are solid choices. If you're looking to get into Susvara with a budget amp hoping you've found a shortcut to sonic bliss, you are better off picking up a HEKse, Caldera, Empy 2, etc.

May 24, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #25,887 of 26,676
Hey guys, what’s the easiest and cheapest way to drive the Susvara to a good level?

A quality, used speaker amp by far would be my first choice. Just be careful to watch the volume knob and always start from 0 volume. I'd check the "speaker amps for headphones thread in this sub-forum" for good suggestions.

May 25, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #25,889 of 26,676
I just gotten a used Susvara and tested it on my Xduoo Ta-22 Dac Amp. Sounds pretty decent even though only 3 watts. I going to prepare to get Ferrum stack soon to accomodate both Utopia and Susvara though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back