HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #24,946 of 25,603
I'll definitely look into it — but I've seen some seriously amazing sound coming out of my MacBook Pro (M3 Max) into a Lina → Susvara before.
It's USB-C and I'm using a silver DDHifi Nyx USB cable @ 768,000 Hz all the way.
Apple isn't known for being hi-fi friendly (but I still really like their Aiprods Pro 2 for what they are 🤷‍♂️). Reclocking is a whole other area though. You can read up about it. The Innuos PhoenixUSB is probably one of my favorite products ever. I would definitely put it in the "must have" category.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #24,947 of 25,603
Thank you for your advice! I definitely am relatively new to the hobby.
My journey (owned items only — not counting auditions) over the past 12 months reflects slow progression:
  1. Meze Liric → MacBook Pro (Mac)
  2. Meze Liric → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  3. DCA ÆON II Noire → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  4. DCA E3 → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  5. Sony MDR-Z1R → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  6. HIFIMAN HE1000 Stealth → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  7. Meze Liric → Mojo 2 → Mac
  8. Focal Utopia → Mojo 2 → Mac
  9. Focal Utopia → Focal Arche → Mac
  10. Focal Utopia → Ferrum OOR + WANDLA + HYPSOS → Mac
  11. Focal Utopia → Chord Hugo TT2 → Mac (Current)
Near Future Experiments:
  1. Susvara → Chord Hugo TT2 (Front) → Mac
  2. Susvara → Chord Hugo TT2 (Rear) → Mac
  3. Susvara → Schiit Jotunheim II → Chord Hugo TT2 (Rear) → Mac
  4. ???
The Utopia's are such good headphones... At that level you're just chasing different rather than better in my opinion. Utopia's are still one of my all time favorite headphones, right next to the Susvara.

I do agree about having a usb reclocker of some sort for improved quality. When I put in a jcat usb card into my desktop, the difference was noticeable. I'm very interested in the Innuos Phoenix usb reclocker, that may be my next upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #24,949 of 25,603
MScaler has more effect than a USB reclocker though
But the combo of both :L3000:

I'd have to think on whether I'd prefer the M-Scaler over the PhoenixUSB, if I had to pick one. I'd probably pick the M-scaler too, but DAVE solo is still very good (just a lil sharp).

I have very dirty power though, so the PhoneixUSB is a must have for me. I use a power conditioner as well, but the PhoenixUSB just made such an noticeable difference immediately that I was like this is the best $3500 I've spent on an upgrade in a long while. Other reclockers are great too. I started with a cheaper one, and it was what made me want to buy the more expensive Innuos. Others with more clean power don't see such a big improvement though, so that should be taken into consideration. Reclocking is a whole other animal though. There is so much to read up on.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #24,950 of 25,603
But the combo of both :L3000:

I'd have to think on whether I'd prefer the M-Scaler over the PhoenixUSB, if I had to pick one. I'd probably pick the M-scaler too, but DAVE solo is still very good (just a lil sharp).

I have very dirty power though, so the PhoneixUSB is a must have for me. I use a power conditioner as well, but the PhoenixUSB just made such a noticeable difference immediately that I was like this is the best $3500 I've spent on an upgrade in a long while. Other reclockers are great too. I started with a cheaper one, and it was what made me want to buy the more expensive Innuos. Others with more clean power don't see such a big improvement though, so that should be taken into consideration. Reclocking is a whole other animal though. There is so much to read up on.
With the M-Scaler, have you or anyone else try running it into a Schiit Yggy? Which Amps jive well with the M-Scaler?

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #24,951 of 25,603
This is why I asked before… Do you have any suggestions for the best amp for under $500? You said I should go for an OOR which is like $2k!

I already blew a lot of money on the TT2 and plan to continue using it as a DAC. I just need relatively cheap Amp that I can use to determine whether the Susvara is superior to my Utopia or not.
I would buy Schiit’s Midgard, it sounds very well with the Susvara if you feed it with a balanced dac.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #24,952 of 25,603
Easily the best decision here. And with no rush. Ignore FOMO, give it time and learn it all while researching amps and getting to know what you do and don't love about the Susvara to inform the right purchases down the line..
yes, i think there's something to be said for exercising some self-restraint and taking a considered approach to this hobby, particularly when you're playing in the high-end market segment

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #24,953 of 25,603
Thank you for your advice! I definitely am relatively new to the hobby.
My journey (owned items only — not counting auditions) over the past 12 months reflects slow progression:
  1. Meze Liric → MacBook Pro (Mac)
  2. Meze Liric → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  3. DCA ÆON II Noire → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  4. DCA E3 → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  5. Sony MDR-Z1R → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  6. HIFIMAN HE1000 Stealth → JDS Labs Element III Mk. 2 → Mac
  7. Meze Liric → Mojo 2 → Mac
  8. Focal Utopia → Mojo 2 → Mac
  9. Focal Utopia → Focal Arche → Mac
  10. Focal Utopia → Ferrum OOR + WANDLA + HYPSOS → Mac
  11. Focal Utopia → Chord Hugo TT2 → Mac (Current)
Near Future Experiments:
  1. Susvara → Chord Hugo TT2 (Front) → Mac
  2. Susvara → Chord Hugo TT2 (Rear) → Mac
  3. Susvara → Schiit Jotunheim II → Chord Hugo TT2 (Rear) → Mac
  4. ???

FYI - there is an Audio GD Master 9 on the classifieds for $850 asking right now. If you can stretch your budget a bit, and if the seller is willing to negotiate, that would be a really great cost benefit.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/audio-gd-master-9.64942/

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #24,954 of 25,603
@tjkohli When I said early I know, or could relate to your situation, I started with brand new TT2 and Susvara. I just thought it needed a dac/amp combo. When I started reading this thread. Impatience vs budget, thats just not a good combo, but I was reading and researching up all night for a month or so. I was driven by peoples opinions...

Take your time and enjoy your Susvara with TT2/SE output at a comfortable level. I am going to tell about my findings. TT2 is a remarkable, a piece of art, if we are ignoring the looks of the power supply.

The reclocking option @Ciggavelli mentioned, is something you should consider, but I would start with a cheaper alternative. USB in general is a bad implementation, just my general opinion about USB. There I said it. Yes the TT2 have bad USB implementation also, even the drivers(Windows). I just didn´t like it from what I remember. My own DAC is the same. I just don´t like the USB input on it vs DDC and SPDIF/AES/I2S

Matrix SPDIF-3 is something unbelievable(I had SPDIF2 at that time) for what you get vs 500$ this should be on the list after you get your amp. For Windows the drivers is better than TT2. It improves my R-1 NOS with wider soundstage, blacker background and other technicalities.
-all you need is a USB and RCA/BNC cables for SPDIF-3. It is USB powered which is actually fine, you can buy your own. I would recommend the iFi iPower X over the iFi Elite.

It does not take long to get the impression you need a cash load of money for an amp. Enleum 23R is a good reference point for this matter. This amp is not only beautiful and minimalistic piece of art. It sounds great. It takes anything and make it sound good. It can give Susvara a very good challange. It does.

As I said before, the budget was around 2000$, that was a challenge vs my impatience. Sometimes this is a good thing, to get the best out of what you got. It was a big challange to buy the HE-9 LE because at that time I did not want anything to do with Chi-fi. However I was encouraged from owners about it. The size of the amp, and the commitment was not even in the picture. I just bought it. Around 20Kg and the biggest unit I have in HiFi still. The size of a HTPC.

From my experience I am willing to say that it does not only better the built-in headphone amp(Arya V2 at the time) on TT2, it is up there with Enleum 23R. It will reveal anything, and you will take benefit from everything you do to the chain like DDC/reclocker from Matrix/SPDIF3. Also to my preference it surpassed the OOR.

(I never tried TT2 and Susvara with XLR option/adapter. The reason is the DAC mode option, I just don´t accidently want that to happen to my ears)

-

One step at a time. This is crucial or else HiFi will feel like a pit stop. Notice the difference between changes to your system. Give them 1-2 month don´t rush it. I wish I had my TT2 a little longer so I could build the perfect chain for it from what I know now.

0. Think about your goal, don´t waste money on small tweaks, gimmicks on the way. They add up in price. Make a plan!

1. First principle of the source, it needs to be good powered. If you like to stay in Apple. Here the Mac Mini and Teradak psu, will give you a lot of greatness. Best bang/solution, not only for ROON. It can easily compete with more expensive alternatives. Take your time and research. In general a good network switch is crucial at this point for communication and lower latency between any units on the network. Talking about network...

(This one is a quiet big step, but worth it. The Idea is to isolate power from your ISP routers. However a router more will be best practice for network/communication. Router with SFP input.)

2. I put network here. Isolate the noise coming from the ISP router(if you can bridge it do it). Put a FMC right after it so it blocks the noise and only transmit light/optics. Get your own router with SFP input so it can manage the network without any noise. Ethernet/RJ45 to a switch of your choice. The cheap ones with good power supply is better than without using one. LGS108/DGS108 + iFi iPower X. The CBS220 is too cheap not to recommend, amazing value. However the greatest impact is still the optical isolation between ISP -> your own Router as mentioned. So the 108s will work fine and will release some stress from the router increase performance = lower the latency.

3. Matrix X-SPDIF3. This one is just a no-brainer. Find a decent coax cable RCA/BNC cable. The Matrix is doing all the job so USB/input or the COAX/output does not need to be expensive cables. The matrix and decent USB cable will be better vs an expensive cable imo/assumption. That how amazing I find it.

4. Power supply for the TT2. I think any audiophile/decent LPSU/SMPS will better it. Just make sure you are 15V/4A(60Watts) the Elite is only 3.5A I would say it is right on the edge/limit as the boot sequence of TT2 hits the limit 3.5A....so 15V/4A, that is what the stock PSU is. Ask Stack Audio :wink: - or MRCU

These are my "right" recommended steps in order. However I would recommend you to just do them randomly, and make the changes gradually(1-2months) between them so you notice and experience the worth of each decision. These are all recommendation. Use them as inspiration.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #24,955 of 25,603
If you can enjoy it with an unoptimized stack that is. I found recently it takes a good chain before you hit that “I can’t take these off my head” experience. While I had my Susvaras with my topping 90 stack they sounded great, plenty of bass and texture, yet head time quickly dropped. Switching to a 300b tube amp and holy crap the difference is mind blowing.

I would almost say optimize the amp before the headphones now. Get a great fully decked out 300b tube amp first because that thing will turn any headphone into a world class experience.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #24,956 of 25,603
Hi everyone! 😊
I've recently got my hands on a Susvara and, wow, I'm really blown away by how amazing it sounds.
But I've noticed something - when I switch albums, it feels like my SPL Xe isn’t quite up to the task of delivering those deep lows.
I’ve been diving into this thread, which is an impressive treasure trove of 13 years' worth of insights, and it seems like the WA33 or maybe the more budget-friendly Cayin HA300 MK2 could be great matches.
However, I'm a bit lost when it comes to solid state amps.
Hifiman’s new Prelude caught my eye, but I haven’t had the chance to listen to it yet. And then there are options like Nimbus UA5 pro, Oor, and a few others I’m curious about.

Could you guys recommend three amps that pair well with the Susvara(price less than $8k)?
I mainly listen to classical music (about 90% of the time) and dabble in 50s to early 70s Jazz for the rest, with
preference of a refined sound and good soundstage.

Thanks a ton in advance for your help!

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #24,957 of 25,603
I think the most important thing is to have enough power to awake those 83db. Since this, you can enjoy your susvara from a modest chain to a super chain, the more you invest the better they will sound, but since they have enough power they are fun. Of course when i say the modest i mean hi-res.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #24,958 of 25,603
Hi everyone! 😊
I've recently got my hands on a Susvara and, wow, I'm really blown away by how amazing it sounds.
But I've noticed something - when I switch albums, it feels like my SPL Xe isn’t quite up to the task of delivering those deep lows.
I’ve been diving into this thread, which is an impressive treasure trove of 13 years' worth of insights, and it seems like the WA33 or maybe the more budget-friendly Cayin HA300 MK2 could be great matches.
Hifiman’s new Prelude caught my eye, but I haven’t had the chance to listen to it yet. And then there are options like Nimbus UA5 pro, Oor, and a few others I’m curious about.

Could you guys recommend three amps that pair well with the Susvara(price less than $8k)?
I mainly listen to classical music (about 90% of the time) and dabble in 50s to early 70s Jazz for the rest, with

Seems that cayin will match your like, but feliks audio Envy is another great amp in this price range. I havent heard either but there is a lot of comments in this thread. In solid state flux labs volot seems to be the king in soundstage.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #24,959 of 25,603
This is why I asked before… Do you have any suggestions for the best amp for under $500? You said I should go for an OOR which is like $2k!

I already blew a lot of money on the TT2 and plan to continue using it as a DAC. I just need relatively cheap Amp that I can use to determine whether the Susvara is superior to my Utopia or not.
Second hand burson soloist 3x is 600€. You get enough power to drive susvara with the tt2. Les than this youre gonna miss the bass. Maybe flux labs fa10 if you want it new. I think its about 700€ But the burson is better. Those are the budget power monsters that come to my mind. Maybe some topping. But i have the a90 and it has not enough power by far.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #24,960 of 25,603
Hi everyone! 😊

Not to complicate things too much, but you could also consider the WA23, too. I think if you’re wanting a tube-y sound, this is another great alternative and sounds phenomenal with the Susvara (listening to the combo right now). I listen to all genres, including classical and jazz. Retail it’s a bit more at $9K, but used you can find it for cheaper, like $7K.

Solid-state-wise, there’s the Enleum AMP 23R, though that’s quite colored in presentation. It hits like a truck, though.

Retail, if you’re willing to stretch to $9K the Zahl HM1 is another recommendation. Used, they do pop up and can be had for about $8K.

The WA33 and the Feliks Envy are fantastic tube amps and probably some of the most powerful, but they will also sound the more “solid-state.” WA33, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back