HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #24,811 of 25,614
Totally agree with this after trying out the Sus out of multiple amps already. It can go from meh (TT2 HP out, Jotunheim 2, Topping A90D) to "not bad" (Schiit Midgard on Halo, Lyr+) to decently good (MJ3, OOR+Hypsos, DAVE HP out) to pretty good (Hifiman Prelude, Bliss, CFA3, ampsandsound Mogwai SE with stock tubes) and now to what Susvara can amazingly do (Zhal HM1, Envy Elrog/WE/Mo, WA23) to God tier (MK 465, WA33 Elite JPS, Egoista 845, EF1000, AIC-10) to unobtanium (Narukami)
TT2 XLR out would be better then Dave Headphone out.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #24,812 of 25,614
I just purchased a Susvara from a fellow Head-Fi'er. Happy to join the club!
Actually just going to compare with my Utopia '22 and then keep whichever one I like most.

I'm gonna use my TT2 to drive it since I can't afford another DAC/Amp lol. Please don't banish me!
Fwiw, Lyr 3 drove my Arya V2 (way less sensitive than stealth or organic) flawlessly around noon on the volume pot (high gain). I have to imagine it would do a competent job with Sus - at least enough to suffice while you continue the hunt for something truly worthy of Sus, though probably without much headroom.

Would the Mjolnir 3 drive the Susvara better than my TT2 though? 🤔
I see conflicting opinions — many say TT2 is going to be fine while others say it's garbage for Susvara.
I'm finding you will find as many conflicting opinions on what can vs can't drive Susvara well as you can people to express those opinions. :wink: Fwiw, I suggest that the aggregate of conventional wisdom is that Lyr, Jot, or Mjolnir will drive Susvara "competently" if not flawlessly, AND the aggregate of conventional wisdom is that TT2 is not a good amp for Sus. As always, YMMV. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #24,813 of 25,614
What about the Enleum!
It drives susvara pretty well but I don't care for it's sound. I bought one and sold it off pretty quickly. Prefer oor and hypsos

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #24,814 of 25,614
Totally agree with this after trying out the Sus out of multiple amps already. It can go from meh (TT2 HP out, Jotunheim 2, Topping A90D) to "not bad" (Schiit Midgard on Halo, Lyr+) to decently good (MJ3, OOR+Hypsos, DAVE HP out) to pretty good (Hifiman Prelude, Bliss, CFA3, ampsandsound Mogwai SE with stock tubes) and now to what Susvara can amazingly do (Zhal HM1, Envy Elrog/WE/Mo, WA23) to God tier (MK 465, WA33 Elite JPS, Egoista 845, EF1000, AIC-10) to unobtanium (Narukami)
I would add the Trafomatic Primavera to the 'God tier' as well.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #24,815 of 25,614
And Holo Bliss to "pretty good" at least.

And DNA Stellaris to "decently good". FIGHT ME. :wink:

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #24,817 of 25,614
If you ever wonder what is the cheapest amp that will drive Susvara, try Behringer 502s.
It’s a compact audio mixer with a DAC made by Beringer for less than $100, I used it to mix my synthesiser input and usually plug my HD800 on it. you can imagine my surprised when I plug Susvara in and it sounded alright. It doesnt compete with my other higher tier amp in terms of dynamic or soundstage, but it sounded fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4767.png
    IMG_4767.png
    775.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #24,818 of 25,614
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #24,820 of 25,614
It definitely drives the Sus well. What didn't you like about the sound, just curious.
Too warm and too soft trying to sound like a tube amp, lacking midrange and too expensive. Build quality was good though. Oor and hypsos is half the price and much prefer it but of course this is just my opinion, plenty of people love the 23R. I also prefer a more solid state sound with susvara , don't like alot of 2nd harmonics with it.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #24,821 of 25,614
This site really needs a wiki, with a community voted Susvara amp tier list!
The HM1 *obviously* belongs in the god tier :p

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #24,822 of 25,614
I would add the Trafomatic Primavera to the 'God tier' as well.
Another great Headphone Amp (according to excellent online reviews) I forgot to mention for the Susvara is the entry level Aries Cerat 'Genus' especially hooked up to an Aries Cerat DAC starting with the great entry level 'Helena' !

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #24,823 of 25,614
It definitely drives the Sus well. What didn't you like about the sound, just curious.

Too warm and too soft trying to sound like a tube amp, lacking midrange and too expensive. Build quality was good though. Oor and hypsos is half the price and much prefer it but of course this is just my opinion, plenty of people love the 23R. I also prefer a more solid state sound with susvara , don't like alot of 2nd harmonics with it.

Yea, I found the absolute same with the *edit* Bakoon, not Enelum (but from what I understand it's essentially the same circuit and similar sound). It's overly warm and smoothed over, which hurts the dynamics and liveliness quite a bit. It doesn't sound bad, and can power anything fully. Just lacks life overall. Really unique package for a desktop system with a lot of power, with a different sound signature I'd be all over it tbh for the Sus or anything else.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #24,824 of 25,614
Yea, I found the absolute same with the Enelum. It's overly warm and smoothed over, which hurts the dynamics and liveliness quite a bit. It doesn't sound bad, and can power anything fully. Just lacks life overall. Really unique package for a desktop system with a lot of power, with a different sound signature I'd be all over it tbh for the Sus or anything else.
Totally agree

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #24,825 of 25,614

WA33, do you really need the Elite JPS? If you have the funds, sure... Anyway, hope I have an AIC10 coming soon. And 3rd time is the charm with Sus

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back